Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

need camera help

quicky06

Reaction score
well my dad got a camera a while ago and we jsut got him an new lense when ever you put the new lense on the camera will not turn on. there is a blue light labeled sswf that lights up but nothing else will happen.

camera is a olympus e-300 evolt
original lense is olympus digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6
lense that wont work is a olympus/zuiko digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 140-600mm equiv.

i havnt gotten in to digital due to prices of the high defs yet. i like film.

so any help would be greatly apreciated i have no clue whats going on. but take ur time cuz im playing with this thing in the mean time.

why do i think that last sentence will end up in the quote thread

oh and the old man just decided to tell me that if you swap them with the camera turned on it will work but the auto focus is off

Last edited:

Hitman

Reaction score
that name is the first thing that came to my mind and I was going to post it lol :laugh: at least we all know who to turn to for Camera Help

BlackCat

Reaction score
Hmmm... yeah, the Olympus 4/3rds format is kind of a wierd bugger. Olympus tried pushing it as a new standard for digital photography in the late 90's over the traditional 35mm SLR lens format. But pretty much nobody else adopted it. Anyway, for your problem, did you buy the problem lens brand new and the camera works fine with the smaller lens ? If so, take the new one back, sounds like a bad contact, blown board, etc.

quicky06

Reaction score
wll took it into my local camera shop and the place i bought the lense new. ended up swaping a diffrent lense on the body and it didnt work. tryed the lense on a diffrent body. and it worked fine. seeing how it takes 6-8 weeks for olympus to service the camera and get it back i went and checked for firmware updates. sure enought both the lense and the body had several firmware updates avalible. and they fixed the problem.

now i jsut need to teach my dad how to use the damn thing. never would have thought that there would firmware in the lense.

05Xrunner

Reaction score
I dont know anything about oly cameras.
The only thing I say is clean the contacts off the lens and the camera body. Inside the battery compartment ther eshould be a small watch battery in there that retains settings. remove that for a few min and let it reset itself. Thats about all I can tell ya for an Oly camera. I dont know much about them

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
I have an E-300, E-3 and most of the lenses under $1500. The only thing that comes to mind is there may be a "firmware" update needed for that lens. The E-300 is a few years old and it's a brand new lens. It's a way to make sure all of their dslr line up works with their lenses. Or it may be the contacts. Take the camera, another lens and your new lens to the camera shop and see if they can identify anything. www.olympusamerica.com

quicky06

Reaction score
am i the only one who thinks its funny that people reply with out reading the 6 posts to find out i solved the problem

quicky06

Reaction score
i know u did i was just giving you **** cuz i got nothing better to do.... nuce gear you got there btw

Top Bottom