Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need help with snapped trd supercharger belt

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Found out today as I was out driving, that I did not hear any whine from my truck. I knew that wasn't a good sign so I pulled over and discovered that my gator belt had snapped in two. WTH?? It was only on there less than 4 months.

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0186.jpg

I had checked the belt last week and it looked ok. I certainly didn't see any fraying like this so this is pretty recent.

I took a closer look at my pulleys and discovered that this pulley had a very rough texture to it. At one time it was smooth but now it has surface rust and some pitting. I live in Texas and we didn't get snow this year just some ice. Could this be the source of the problem with my busted belt??? Is it possible to order a new pulley? :thumpdown:

IMAG0187.jpg

Super Werty

Reaction score
wow that looks rough. Mine is like polished glass. I bet that had something to do with it wearing out so soon

Coupe

Reaction score
The big question, is why is it rough?

It looks like a residue of some kind.

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
It appears to be rust Coupe. But I don't know why the coating (if there is one) of that pulley would wear out so soon. Anyway Toyota would cover the cost of a new pulley?

Which one of these would be the right part # for that pulley guys?

TRD Idler Pulley w/Bearing, 2.15", Steel PTR29-35075
TRD Idler Pulley w/Bearing, 2.30" Ribbed, Steel PTR29-35076
TRD Idler Pulley w/Bearing, 3.0" Ribbed, Aluminum PTR29-35077
TRD Idler Pulley w/Bearing, 3.0" Flat Steel PTR29-35078

I'm thinking it's the 2.15" one.

Last edited:

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
I dunno man, that looks pretty bad. You really shouldn't put your truck at risk like that. Just give me the S/C and all your troubles will *POOF!*.....disappear.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
That looks bad. Looks like something been dripping on there causing rust.

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
I dunno man, that looks pretty bad. You really shouldn't put your truck at risk like that. Just give me the S/C and all your troubles will *POOF!*.....disappear.

LOL...i'm not giving up on it quite yet.

That looks bad. Looks like something been dripping on there causing rust.

I don't know what it could be.

Last edited:

STONER-X

Reaction score
did you use any cleaners?? spray anything on the pulley (lube) ?? im not too big of a fan of the gatorback belts...

Why? this is just me thinking but i think that the extra ribs cut in the belts while they cause more flexibility... it is also removing material that is giving the belt extra strength... soooo when a little problem does happen it is multiplied by the less material and causing the belt to beak sooner...

i would say try to polish up that pulley get it nice and smooth and get a Gates belt.. ??....

livinginsa

Reaction score
The belt looks old to me. You could have bought the belt recently but the belt could have been sitting in stock for years. See all of the little cracks in the belt. I would sand the pulley down, get it like new, and then get a new belt. Maybe, something was wrong with the belt, too. I would check it a couple of times a week to see it starts cracking, again and see if that contamination coats the pulleye, again.

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
^ thanks for the tip.

did you use any cleaners?? spray anything on the pulley (lube) ?? im not too big of a fan of the gatorback belts...

Why? this is just me thinking but i think that the extra ribs cut in the belts while they cause more flexibility... it is also removing material that is giving the belt extra strength... soooo when a little problem does happen it is multiplied by the less material and causing the belt to beak sooner...

i would say try to polish up that pulley get it nice and smooth and get a Gates belt.. ??....

I used simple green once in the engine bay. It's not a harsh cleaner so I doubt it come from that. Most of the time I just wipe the engine bay down with a damp MF towel. I see your point about the grooves on the back of the belt.

I checked the tensioner pulley and it has some surface rust up top but it's clean at the bottom. Weird.

Hey guys, since I have the NSt overdrive kit, I still have the TRD tensioner pulley. It is the exact same size as the one up top that is messed up in my case. The part #'s are the same. Only difference is one has a number 576 and the other is 580. Could I use this pulley to replace my messed up one?

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Never mind on that last part. It looks like my real issue is a stuck bearing on the nst tensioner pulley. Should have known better as I remember hearing a sound from one of the pulleys several weeks ago. Then the noise went away. I guess I know why. Lol

Last edited:

Coupe

Reaction score
It appears to be rust Coupe. But I don't know why the coating (if there is one) of that pulley would wear out so soon. Anyway Toyota would cover the cost of a new pulley?

Which one of these would be the right part # for that pulley guys?

TRD Idler Pulley w/Bearing, 2.15", Steel PTR29-35075
TRD Idler Pulley w/Bearing, 2.30" Ribbed, Steel PTR29-35076
TRD Idler Pulley w/Bearing, 3.0" Ribbed, Aluminum PTR29-35077
TRD Idler Pulley w/Bearing, 3.0" Flat Steel PTR29-35078

I'm thinking it's the 2.15" one.

The pulley in the pic is a flat one. You would have to measure the o.d.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never mind on that last part. It looks like my real issue is a stuck bearing on the nst tensioner pulley. Should have known better as I remember hearing a sound from one ofpulleys several weeks ago. Then the noise went away. I guess I know why. Lol

Blastap posted a link, in one of his threads, to a bearing website. He might have even posted a part # to a replacement bearing. It is a high performance replacement bearing, I remember, and about $60. I will see if I can find the link.

Here is the link to the store: http://www.microblueracing.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=68_50&products_id=384

Here is the link to the thread, which may help some more.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=32457

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Thanks Mark and Coupe for your help. I'll see if NST can just replace it.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Does the pulley in question spin free without any noise, and little side to side movement?
I would have to think it would have been sitting that way for at least some time to get that much rust/residue built up on it.

sntckr

Reaction score
Does the pulley in question spin free without any noise, and little side to side movement?
I would have to think it would have been sitting that way for at least some time to get that much rust/residue built up on it.

That is exactly what I was wondering. Check the pulley first.

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
That sux...I just got a gatorback belt as a replacement for the couple of nicks in my oem belt.

SooRunner

Reaction score
Didn't you just put on your trd s/c? A couple of questions I have:

1. Who installed it?

2. Was the belt new when installed?

3. Was the belt installed mis-aligned? (1 rib off?)

I'm not a fan of hosing down my engine bay regardless of how dirty it is....

Jap

Reaction score
I have nothing but praise for the gatorback.
The pics of the belt you have there are interesting.
Rubbing sideways (denoting faulty idler bearing or bad belt alignment)
And it looks like its been getting really hot (once again, denotes faulty bearing)

Let us know how you go

Top Bottom