Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New motor, now exhaust woes....(my fault)

Venomous_X

Reaction score
So, as some of you know, i ended up having a trashed motor a month or so due to a leaky timing cover, creating a lack of oil also causing a catastrophic failure to cylinder number 5, the piston, and some of my valvetrain. After fighting back and forth with my dealer (who has done nothing but been helpful, but due to the cost of the potential warranty claim, It ended up being up to their regional supervisor) to get it repaired as I maintain my vehicle and try to keep it tip top, finally I was given the thumbs up and had it repaired, plus the cost of towing, and teardown x2. I get it back saturday, and it purrs like a kitten, same as yesterday and finally this morning I am driving into work and I get a nasty boom and my exhaust craps out. Immediately I pull over to see if I hit something in the road and see nothing but can clearly hear my exhaust is damaged. I get under the truck as far as my fat ass can fit to see and don't see any damage. (It was still dark out). So moving on, end of the day I get under again in the daylight and end up finding that my muffler is bent upwards, pulled back and that the exhaust flange to ypipe collector flange has a huge bend in it thus creating the gnarly exhaust leak I encountered earlier.

Now I am curious of two things.... I am pretty sure the bolts with the spring assemblies are perhaps over compressed now due to the snap back of the exhaust and need new ones as well as trying to bend the flange back to square so I can mount a new catback to the flange. Anyone able to find some of those at an autoparts store or a dealer? I will need to call Gadget soon to see if I can get a catback here before the weekend so I can install that and be on my merry way before I end up in rain somewhere with a leaky exhaust and fill my ypipe cats full of water.

Long story short, this truck goes through one problem at a time and its never ending.... Sorry for the long read but I felt I should share both the positive and negative experience as well as question for a few guru's here that have been in the same or similar predicament.
:thumbdown:

(Edit) I hit a manhole cover from a lowered section of street on an angle and caught the muffler on it and jacked up the exhaust.

Last edited:

Vince77

Reaction score
Damn, seriously, one thing after another! At least it's not as bad as a blown motor.
Hope your luck with the truck gets better.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I hit a manhole cover coming out of a lowered area of street John... It wasn't low enough for me to worry, but I figure since i was making a left turn it was just the right angle enough for me to clip it and now I fubared the entire catback.... **** this truck.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I think your truck is getting back at you for trading your dtlt's.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
DAmn Donny! Sucks to hear. Glad to hear the motor got fixed.

Gadget

Reaction score
I remember when I was a rookie firefighter and went on a call in a trailer park behind Andrews AFB for an vehicle accident. My job was to render the vehicle(s) safe by disconnecting the battery and chocking the wheels.

I hop off of the Engine looking really cool in my new Fireman suit and see this station wagon in the middle of the street bend upwards in the middle. Odd. So I get the hood open and get the battery disconnected and the wheels chocked so the rescue dudes can do their thing and I go running around trying to find the vehicle they hit. Not having any luck I had to ask the old lady on the porch of her trailer what they hit, "Not a damn thing" she says.

Turns out the ladies in the station wagon were about 700 pounds each and the car was jammed full of junk and trash. There was so much weight in it and road so low to the ground the front part of the frame grabbed a man hole cover and stopped it dead in its tracks and those fatsos crushed themselves into the dash so hard they split open.

Had to call in for more man power and had to strip down the interior of two ambulances and slid each of them on to the floor of the ambulances using large HD tarps and lots of help.

So, yea them man hole covers can do some damage and how...

My first call was even more interesting. Drunk dude ran himself over trying to jumper the starter from underneath because his wife took the keys. Worked. That car started right up.

Anyway I think I can get you fixed up. I think I have an extra front pipe around here with a ding in it I can make you a good deal on.

G

~TWITCH~

Reaction score
I have a oem catback of a pre runner for 25 plus shipping if you want. I believe it is has the same bends just the exhaust tip is different.

1ndian

Reaction score
There was an open manhole cover that trashed an F-150 down the street from me. Supposedly, the guy got like six hundred odd dollars from the city.

madness unseen

Reaction score
Damn! I've never heard of one quite doing damage like that before. Open manhole is another story.

5000XD

Reaction score
You need:

four_leaf_clover.jpg

Venomous_X

Reaction score
G I ordered a catback earlier and I will try to salavage the frot flange off the y... Unfortunately it's run if rich from not having a fully closed exhaust and now I'm paranoid I'll do damage to the new motor. Also running into. P0138 and p0157 code. I think when the dealership pulled the harness one of my connections got damaged from the removal of the 02 sim. Some good fellas here offering a hand and I appreciate it. Ratrod he wants a stock exhaust in return.

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
yes yes but hes selling the truck so it no need worky right :biggrin:

Top Bottom