oil leak from NST crank pulley, almost caused a wreck.

Discussion in 'N/A Mods & Tuning' started by dmbfan73, Feb 17, 2013.

1. dmbfan73

dmbfan73 Active Member

driving home the other day and I heard a "pop" and then my power steering went out. made it home to find out the drive belt severed/frayed and wrapped around all of the pulleys. kevin (vince 77) and I installed a new belt and we notice the NST crank pulley was the source of the problem. oil had been leaking from behind the pulley and saturated the belt causing it to fail. we switched back to the stock pulley, problem solved.

2. Bulldogger

Bulldogger New Member

If that is the case I don't think swapping pulleys is the answer without changing the crank seal also.

3. cwatt

cwatt Member

I also hear the crank seal is the way to go. There's one in the next room for when I get around to installing my CR-Lite too.

4. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

Did the pulley have a sleeve on the back? This was a known issue and the pulley needed to be sleeved to fix the wear issue on the crank seal.

If yours was leaking it was not the pulley itself that was causing the leak but rather the pulley wearing the crank seal. You will need a new seal($12 or less at the stealership)

5. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

The seal will cut into the stock pulley as well. The NST pulleys are aluminum, so the seal cuts into the "non" sleeved NST pulleys pretty easily. I bet yours was one of the early pulleys that did not have this added steel sleeve.

This is a write up I did awhile back, before NST started sleeving their pulleys.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=36101

#5 Coupe, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. dmbfan73

dmbfan73 Active Member

I bought the whole set when they first came out, so it didn't have the sleeve.

7. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

I am the same. I went back and added the sleeve.