Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Options for Compression Ratios 1GR

iniazy

Reaction score
Almost done. Just installing the oil filter thing and the thermostat housing and water pump and I'll be set to finally drop it in.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man! Nearly there. That is a massive crank pulley! Wow.

Not sure if the time is past midnight there, but Merry Christmas to you!

iniazy

Reaction score
Man! Nearly there. That is a massive crank pulley! Wow.

Not sure if the time is past midnight there, but Merry Christmas to you!
That Bullet pulley is slightly smaller than the Alpine one I had before it.

All assembled and ready to go in. I'm dropping it in today.

iniazy

Reaction score
Well folks, I ran into serious trouble that set me back a couple of weeks. I started the engine up and it ran great for about ten minutes. Then, the passenger side exhaust cam gear fell off the cam shaft and everything went crumbling. Apparently I forgot to torque down the cam shaft sprocket bolt.

The cam sprocket got scratched up and the tensioner damaged.

Now I realized also that there is something not right with the main chain, it is not tensioned properly and might have jumped a tooth. So I'm pulling the engine out again. Everything else seems to be working ok, engine seems to be still ok. I did a compression test and it seems to have passed on all cylinders.

I know I can fix it without pulling it out, but I weighed my options and decided for a little extra effort I'll pull the engine to avoid engine oil leaks as I had previously. I want to make sure all the sealants are done properly and that cannot be ensured if the engine is in and without removing the oil pan. It is impossible to remove the oil pan while the engine is in, due to the awkward shape of it.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dang man! Fingers crossed all is well. I agree with your approach. A lot invested, so do it right.

iniazy

Reaction score
So I pulled the engine out just to be comfortable that everything is ok and in place. I found the exhaust gear dowel pin in the bottom of the oil pan:

While the engine was out I went in and checked the wiring harness for any problems. Everything seemed to be ok.

cutting the hole where the feet go.

Now the engine looks ok, fingers crossed I hope it runs ok and everything lives happily ever after. The engine is back into the truck now, just putting everything back on and we'll be ready to start it up again.

Gadget

Reaction score
May want to double check the exhaust valves on that head to make sure there was not valve to piston contact. That has happened in the past. Best to do it while the engine is out.

iniazy

Reaction score
May want to double check the exhaust valves on that head to make sure there was not valve to piston contact. That has happened in the past. Best to do it while the engine is out.
Thanks gadget, yes I have done that, they're all OK. Plus I have good compression in all cylinders. I believe I'm good to go.

iniazy

Reaction score
It lives to see another day :D

I left it idling for two hours, it ran great and smooth, no codes thrown except for intake temperature sensor which I had disconnected at that time.

Now all is hooked up properly including supercharger.

I'm leaving it overnight so all gasket makers (RTV) dry up.

Just one problem which I can't figure out why is happening, and that is for some reason I lost power steering. Although I can see the pump is working fine and I filled it up with fluid. But compared with what I was about to face that's no issue.

Gadget

Reaction score
Might have air in the system. Lift the front tires off the ground and then turn the wheel lock to lock a bunch of times. That should purge out any trapped air in the system.

iniazy

Reaction score
Might have air in the system. Lift the front tires off the ground and then turn the wheel lock to lock a bunch of times. That should purge out any trapped air in the system.

Thanks Gadget, really appreciate the help. I'll do that today.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Engine flirted with death, and came back to life. Congrats. I am certain that is a relief off of your shoulders.

iniazy

Reaction score
With the engine running.....

Well gadget you were right. Power steering now working perfectly.

Engine flirted with death, and came back to life. Congrats. I am certain that is a relief off of your shoulders.

Indeed, I'm so relieved and in such a good mood now. And feel very proud.

Congrats!! All the hard work payed off

Yes it did.

I drove about today, the engine never felt this smooth before. Runs beautifully. I hope it proves to be reliable and good to me.

After break in she will never see other than synthetic oil again.

DocME

Reaction score
Glad I found this found this thread. I’ve been researching an engine rebuild with very similar internals for my FJ. A lot of good information here.

Iniazy, any long term updates on the engine?

Top Bottom