Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PCV Oil Catch Can Question

DoubleD

Reaction score
So i just got in my oil catch can i was about to install today and i was thinking. Why cant i just connect to to the catch can and then have the output line just feed under the truck or something so none of that air is going back into the intake. Then just cap of the intake untill its smog time and then reinstall the stock tubing?

Anyone see any issues??

blastap

Reaction score
It hooks up to the driver side valve cover which is not the pcv. It is a emissions thing to burn off the contaminated air, but I suppose you could atmosphere the vent.

DoubleD

Reaction score
The passenger side one i thought was the pcv?

blastap

Reaction score
It is, you don't hook catch cans up to pcv side. It goes on the vacuum side

DoubleD

Reaction score
No Just cleaned out all the crap in my intake and am trying to prevent it again. I was really nasty

blastap

Reaction score
If your not boosted I don't see the need for one. So if you have oil before the throttle body then you might have other issues.

Last edited:

DoubleD

Reaction score
No its after the throttle body, i took it off and cleaned out as much as possible. I would rather that not go into my engine you know?

Murderface

Reaction score
I brought this oil catch can thing up a Xfest to Gadget and didn't ge a straight answer. I noticed when I pulled my blower off to do the X-1 cam gears, that there was oil running down the inside of the intercooler and in where the spiral doohickies are:laugh: I asked if this was normal and I got a yes answer but didn't get an answer to - if I needed to add an oil catch can to grab this oil and stop it from crapping up my intake and blower.
I just forgot to ask again since then.

blastap

Reaction score
Oh I get it. I have one installed from eBay. It was a greddy knock off square unit

DoubleD

Reaction score
the oil was not exactly what i was most concerned about it was more all the black soot that was coating everything from the throttlebody back ya know? It just cant be good to have that going back into the intake. Cleaner air longer engine life is more what i was thinking??

rich017

Reaction score
the oil was not exactly what i was most concerned about it was more all the black soot that was coating everything from the throttlebody back ya know? It just cant be good to have that going back into the intake. Cleaner air longer engine life is more what i was thinking??

That's normal. Your Throttle body is going to get dirty just like every other vehicle on the road. Especially the butterfly valve. I just take mine off ever 15K and clean it. Takes all of 10 minutes

XrunnIT

Reaction score
If you have puddles of oil in your intake tube from the crankcase vent, then you may have other issues.

You'll want to install the catch can between the check valve and the intake plenum. The hose from the intake to the crankcase is a fresh air breather. If your catching enough oil there to justify a catch can, then i would worry something is wrong.

The PCV check valve on the driver side is where the oil vapors cycle back into the motor, and that's where you want to install the catch can. :top:

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
There's no "PUDDLES" of oil that I saw, just some that accumulated and gravity took over and it was running down the inside of the blower housing.
I check my oil every week and the level doesn't drop on the dipstick. My truck doesn't burn anymore oil then it's supposed to.
I just asked gadget if a catch can would be worth my money now that I have a blower and I never got a straight answer from him.
I'm gonna look into one as my next mod.

Jason do you have any pics of ur catch can where it is Installed?

XrunnIT

Reaction score
There's no "PUDDLES" of oil that I saw, just some that accumulated and gravity took over and it was running down the inside of the blower housing.
I check my oil every week and the level doesn't drop on the dipstick. My truck doesn't burn anymore oil then it's supposed to.
I just asked gadget if a catch can would be worth my money now that I have a blower and I never got a straight answer from him.
I'm gonna look into one as my next mod.

Jason do you have any pics of ur catch can where it is Installed?

Ok, if its in the blower after the TB, that is normal. That is why you would want a catch can, to keep that hot oil off of the intercooler.

I don't have any pics of it hooked up, sorry.

Which CC were you looking at getting?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
can2.jpg

Catch cans are a thing of the past? ok... lol. Over active PCV systems certainly aren't.

oilpuddle.jpg

It is, you don't hook catch cans up to pcv side. It goes on the vacuum side

There are several ways to hook a can up.

You can tie it into both sides, run two cans, run a PCV (driver side cover) side can, or eliminate the system (which really isnt a good idea).

I run my can inline on the PCV side and catch a decent amount of crap oil laden air re-entering the intake to be burned.

Last edited:

blastap

Reaction score
Yah I just went and looked at mine and i forgot the pcv was on the driver side. Oops

Gadget

Reaction score

Here is a straight answer for you. HELL NO!!!

It is completely normal for oil to be in the plenum. That is the whole purpose of the PCV system.

combustion gases need to be pulled from the crank case and fresh air drawn in. This keeps the accumulation of water and other nasty stuff down. It also runs it through the engine so it will be burned.

During the process there will be oil vapor pulled from the crank case and it will condense in the plenum/manifold. There will always be a light coat of it. with the stock plenum it will accumulate in the runner for cyl 6 more than the others.

My XRunner had 75 miles on it when I pulled the plenum off and guess what? Oil in the plenum. This is completely normal.

Now if you have warn out rings or a cracked piston you will see a TON of oil in the plenum and coming out of the crank case breather hose. That is not normal.

Lots of people run catch cans. That is fine also, but I really doubt there is any real benefit to doing so.

G

Top Bottom