QA1 coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Arcenik, Apr 6, 2018.

1. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

He said he wanted to bore hone the bolt hole because he wants the bolt to slide through. Something about when you weld metal in a jig it will still move when it cools. Truthfully I told him about the DOM tubing and he just shook his head back and forth no. (don't ask me)
    He builds a lot of stuff for companies that work in the oil industry / fields. They have to be X-ray and tested, so that's why I think he has high standards. His talk is over this old dumb $h!t's head.
    Needless to say I think his work will be worth whatever he asks. I paid him $200 and he started to refuse it until he was done but he said that he had several jobs out that he was waiting payment on and could use the cash. Sorry guys that's all I know.

AZ

2. imom

imom Member

So is your guy doing a batch or just a one off for you initially... Since you wanted to know many of us wanted in to do a batch. When he's ready, think we should just do sign up sheet or paypal the amount and get the tops made, just tell us the final the price.

3. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

He doesn't want to take any $$ until he has the product finished and ready to ship. I think he took the cash from me because he is and or was waiting payment for other jobs he had completed. Hey don't shoot the messenger. Maybe the same reason he doesn't want to use cool rolled tubing on the upper mounts?
    Heck last time I stopped by his shop he had some security screen doors stripped to a trailer he just got back from his powder coater. I asked him if he was now making security doors he said these were for a neighbor and asked me if I wanted some. I told him we just paid $1800, half down for 3 security doors. He said wow, I told him I know! We had a break in and my wife was in a big hurry to get up new and better doors.

4. MaK10-XRnR

MaK10-XRnR Member

Did anything ever come from you installing the 10" coils?

Thanks,

5. Arcenik

Arcenik Member

I never got to install them, actually I never got them they were back ordered and I ended up canceling the order. I went with using the djm control arms, I was already bottoming out on the bump stops with the drop springs if I went with the 10” coils I would have been sitting with only about an inch of travel between the bump stop and stock arm. Using the djm I have more travel.

6. Arcenik

Arcenik Member

I should be getting these to the welder this week.

32FACB93-429C-42FF-8485-8B5BB34696C2.jpeg 54A416CE-449A-403D-8196-00FAABE60CDD.jpeg

7. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

Looking a lot better than the first design!
    Is that an 1/2" bolt and cold roll?

8. imom

imom Member

How does one tighten the bolt/nuts if the DOM tube is welded to the plate and there's not a lot of room for the socket to go over the bolt...is it just open end wrench only?

AZ Sun Lover, what's the status on your welder/fab person... any updates on your part or parts he's making and then selling?

9. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

*Edit*
    I think IMOM is correct the above mounts don't have much to any room to use a socket over the bolt head or nut. No room between the hardware and top plate.

Quintin, my fabricator is about to finish mine here shortly. He's had some plates water cut. He's now turning the round tubing on the lathe, Then building a jig to weld the tubes to the top plate. He then will align the holes for the supply hardware, powder coat and ship with hardware. He told me as of now the price will be $200 plus $6.50 for shipping. From what little I know none of the others come powder coated or with hardware. He also said if his price is to steep you're more than welcome to buy elsewhere. ( Don't shot the messenger )

My fabricator got a large good paying job. I told him to build my mounts when he has the time. He's a one man show and splits the rent on the shop with his father. Trust me it's not cheap rent and the shop is not small, plus it sets on what looks like 2 to 3 acres.
    I got the impression that a few here thought $200 was to much to pay. He nor I are not about to ask for deposits on something that no one has seen. He's not XII Performance taking $500 plus from potential customers and not delivering!
    Sorry guys I think you should get together and sue that couple. They have a second business and what's to keep them from filing bankruptcy?... Nothing‼️

AZ

#109 AZ Sun Lover, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    LAzevedo likes this.
  10. RS2008XR

RS2008XR Member

It's does seem to be on the high end but I understand as being a custom made piece in small numbers. I'm interested in getting a set made if the cost is no more than $200 shipped. Let me know.

11. SOHCmyDOHC

SOHCmyDOHC Member

I’d be down for a set that’s powder coated with hardware even if it’s more than $200

Beau likes this.
  12. TACOWHEELS

TACOWHEELS Member

I would be interested in a set as-well.

13. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

IMG_0562.JPG Ok, guys I spoke with Quintin last night and he said after he gets his lathe fix he may take non refundable deposits. He has built custom bumpers and sliders for TW members and they flaked out. He has a really bad taste in his mouth from this.
    Again the price is $200 plus shipping.

RS2008XR likes this.
  14. imom

imom Member

I think what Quitin will provide sounds like a fair value. I have no issues with the $200...just want to see a sample of the finished product and to ensure that the tube will be welded dead center and not off with each mounting pair we get. I just don't want the tube off center on one plate and off center on another plate and have alignment issue is my concern. From what is described...it's sounds real nice...just want to see end product please.

I don't know how at $200 it would be on the high end if the end product is laser cut, welded, and powder coated, and comes with hardware. Seems very fair to me. I wonder if piecing out the work would cost so much more. I'm good with deposit...just want to see the goods first.

ToyotaNewbie97 likes this.
  15. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

Well Thanks imom!
    Quintin read your above comment and it kind of pissed him off!
    Most of his work is X-rayed and pulled apart with large machines to see what fails in his parts. Now because of your comment he said the price is now $260. He told me I was good he just needs the part for his lathe.
    Sorry guys don’t shoot the messenger, hopefully he changes his mind. PM me for his direct email.

AZ

16. imom

imom Member

Please explain to me which comment I made that was so offensive. I saw a comment that RS2008XR stating that $200 was on the high end and I said that $200 was good value. So please ask Quintin which part is offensive? The fact that he wanted $200 for it and I agreed it's a good value? Any design and any drawing is going to have tolerances. Wanting to know what that tolerance should not be offensive. In any case, a person stands by their word.. if he said $200, it should be $200 just like a handshake. I never meant to offend Quintin.

17. SOHCmyDOHC

SOHCmyDOHC Member

Please stop while you’re ahead. No need to rile up the fabguy and blow any kind of coilover system he is willing to build for this small community. I read post #114 and could see why he would get riled up. So again, please don’t poke the bear. AZSL is doing this community a big favor and no need to piss off the fabguy.

AZ Sun Lover likes this.
  18. imom

imom Member

How am I poking the bear, the waterjet cut part looks great. There was complaints that $200 was high...I said it wasn't. I never intended to offend Quintin and just wanted to see the end product. I said it was a good deal for all that work. I think the OP that started this post was cool to get it going and AZ to get his guy to make the part. There's more to this story with me and AZ, but I'm trying to keep that separate.

But you are right... it's great that someone who has capabilities to make this part is cool to make it for this group.

19. AZ Sun Lover

AZ Sun Lover Member

Thank you sir!
    I think I stated he didn't want to use cold roll pipe because it wasn't to his standards (my words) he just keep nodding his head back-and-forth No to cold roll, plus he said he would align bore the holes.
    Seriously his parts are x-rayed to check their strength and quality. I gave him $200 cash and a case of his favorite adult beverage after just seeing his welding skills. I know many good welders and some of his Wire / Mig welding looks like a stack of dimes on their sides. Imom I'm not bothering Quintin until he contacts me first. Maybe he's upset because his lathe is down, his shop is hot inside and or people who don't know the pride he takes in his work have the nerve to question if a bolt will fit. Mine will be his prototype and if there are any issues they will be addressed! He doesn't use the general public as his Guinea pigs! So if he's busy building and or doing another job I should just leave him alone.
    He also stated you're welcome to buy elsewhere or build them yourself.
    He did apologize to me for him taking so long but I told him no worries I'm in no rush. My truck is running it's not like it's a part I need to keep it running.

AZ

20. Arcenik

Arcenik Member

I still don't get why he shakes his head at Dom tubing. Control arms, control arm bushings, roll cages, 4 links, bar ends, they are all made with Dom tubing, it is a practical solution for the mounts.