Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QA1 front coilover 550lb too much for regular cab?

imom

Reaction score
I asked a few times to XII performance, but never got an answer...so I'm a bit leary to just pay up to grand for the QA1 front coilovers...but the 550lb street spring rate seems a bit high for my 2014 regular cab taco. I'm about 500lbs lighter than X runner. The goal is to get a 2" drop without having alignment issues. I got 4x4 leaf springs and then thinking about 1/2 inch beefed block to get the 2" drop in the rear...with QA1 shock in the rear as well.

So any ideas if 550lbs front coilover spring is too much for regular cab? For those that have the front QA1 coil over...and feedbacks...do you like them...do they last...any issues?

So I asked Beefed Taco (streetacos.com) is they made a 2nd gen QA1 coilover kit, but haven't a response either...been 5 days...Brian said he get back, but never did even with followups. He told me he's behind with customer build, so I thought I post here to get some ideas about the QA1 coilovers. Please let me know. Thanks!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only XII Performance has the coilovers.

You'll be happy with the 550's. They tested various spring rates before settling on their choices.

BondXII

Reaction score
I'm surprised to see that you tried to ask us a few times and did not get a response. What was your method of reaching us?? Regardless of that...

The 550# springs do great for the regular cabs as well. It is a well rounded spring rate for goofing around on back county roads, or out on a track for autocross/track days/etc. These also have a street friend ride when you have the shocks adjusted accordingly.

We have sold quite a few of these kits to regular cab Tacos and have not received negative feedback. As Torspd mentioned, we spent a long time (and money) testing various spring rates. We had a couple versions developed and tested (even on other truck besides our own) and found the "sweet spot" for spring rate. Everyone that was waiting for the initial group buy can contest to the long duration of testing we went through before we were confident in the kit enough to put it out on the market.

Sorry that we didn't answer your questions sooner. You'll be glad you took the plunge once you get them. These are more than a "QA1 coilover". It's a XII Performance coilover system that we use a QA1 shock with. :) A lot of the kit is made in house ('Merica!). We are using QA1 shocks for this kit since we have a history with them and we have had such a success with the rear shocks, it made sense to make a matching set. For those of you that know who makes our drop coils, I'm sure you can guess where we are getting the coilover springs from. LOL

imom

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the reply...I thought I would post here since I do see you reply on here. I contacted XII and Amy replied. But then it's summer time and I know you and Amy are busy with the other business, so Amy said she would forward the question to you... but I never got a reply and pinged again and so this is where we are. Thank you again for the response.

My next related question... I like to get the QA1 front coil over plus with the rear QA1 shock. I like to get a 2" drop so it's low enough without alignment/camber issues(I hope). I know I can drop the get 2" drop from the front coil over. I have 2wd regular cab...I just bought stock 4x4 leaf spring (3 leaf (including overload)). I read I could get 1 1/2" drop in the rear from the 4x4 leaf spring... Would the rear QA1 adjustments allow me another 0.5 inch drop or do I need a beefed block for the last half inch with this QA1 setup of yours?

BondXII

Reaction score
For the rear (and the front for the shocks) the QA1s are there only to adjust the dampening. The QA1 shocks do not adjust the heights for the rear. I'm assuming that since you mentioned the use of the 4x4 leaf springs, you are aware that we are still waiting around for the company that makes our leaf springs to get back in order. If you want to go lower (for now), get a small block...or buy a hard tonneau cover to weight down the rear a bit. :)

imom

Reaction score
I don't know how the 4x4 leafs spring will perform, but I had hope with the QA1 in front and rear, the suspension will do a good job with the 4x4 leafs...but this is just reading and guess on my part. I don't know if your leafs spring will do a significant job better and I got the 4x4 leaf for a good price...so more money for other things like the coil over shock.

One final question. I had thought about your sway bar kit, but again I wasn't sure if the bigger sway bar front and rear would be too much for a regular cab because it's a lot lighter than access cabs. Also since I don't have rear sway bars... I thought just the factory X runner sway bars would be good enough. To baseline the cars I've driven...I've owned a BMW Z4M. Was even better than BRZ I had. In discussing with a fellow forum member, he mentioned that XII bars are too big/stiff since it was designed for Xrunner not regular cab.

So while I'll get the QA1 package when the christmas sale comes...I"m not sure if I will get the sway bar set. BTW, your website doesn't have a package deal for the QA1 front coil over plus and the sway bar set. That option should be on your website. Thanks again for the reply.

BondXII

Reaction score
We haven't personally used 4x4 springs on our X, but we have heard positive results with those that have. I'm sure they are the same stories that you have read here and other forums.

Any upgrades you perform on your RC with improve its handling. This would go with either stock X-Runner sway bars, or by using ours. We've had quite a few of you guys without issues. I would recommend that if you get ours, to either get both front and rear, or just the rear and use the "soft" setting. If you get just the front, you will have issues with "pushing" into the turns or having under steer issues. If you use both or just our rear, you will be able to properly rotate into the harder turns.

Our site does need a healthy update. There are so many combinations of "kits" to get. We're looking at how to put those on the website, but still not be overwhelming with the possibilities. There are also a ton of parts that we sell that need to be added to the site as well...even outside of just X-Runners. It's a work in progress. Whenever you are ready to make the purchase, just give us a call and we'll put together a package price for whatever combination of parts you decide to get.

imom

Reaction score
Yes the website was missing the combination of the sway set and the coil over set without the leaf spring as a package. The other issue was the shipping when selecting the sway set and coil over set, it only allowed 2nd shipping, no ground shipping so the shipping charges were $250+. That's why I asked Amy for shipping estimate to Los Angeles County, but didn't get it...so now since it's close to Sept, I can wait a few months if you will have your Christmas sale.

I have enough mods to complete on my truck, so waiting 2 to 3 months isn't a problem. Depending on package and sale, I will get the front coilover set and rear shock and then decide to get the sway set or not or just go with stock rear sway. Thanks for the information...really helps knowing what to get.

Top Bottom