Question about Powder Coating Valve Covers

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by jmoore120, Apr 1, 2010.

1. jmoore120

jmoore120 Active Member

Had a question about getting some valve covers powder coated. I know that the underside of the covers must remain clean and free of any paint or powder coating compound. My question deals with the top side of the covers. Attached is a picture of a set that Werty painted himself and I circled the area I have a concern about. The ports for the ignition coil packs, do they have to be done like Werty's because the guy at the shop said that doing those ports shouldnt cause any problems and he would just go ahead and do those too, if these were powder coated would it cause any problems? This is supposed to be one of the best shops in my area and the owner claims that they have done alot of valve covers over the years but I just wanted to get some input from some of you to be sure. Thanks. Also if anyone has any pics or such that would be helpful, you can email them to me at jwmoore120@yahoo.com

Attached Files:

2. Venomous_X

Venomous_X Active Member

bump.........

3. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

I do not think paint in this area will effect anything.

4. Amarillo X

Amarillo X New Member

Jason, I just went and pulled a wire and there seems to be ample room for powdercoat in that area. IMO it would be better to have that area sealed as tightly as possible...

5. braves011

braves011 "Crouching Tiger"

I don't think it will hurt it to be PCed but I would NOT PC the inside of that if i could get around it. and I wouldn't worry about it being sealed cause the plugs have a cap on top that seal up the holes

6. Super Werty

Super Werty Active Member

Just have them tape it off, only takes a few minutes. I did it so in case it did get stuck to the coils that it wouldnt peel off any chunks when doing a spark plug change

[​IMG]

7. Venomous_X

Venomous_X Active Member

Is tape bakeable???? :dontknow:

8. blackx-runner

blackx-runner "White Flash"

the tape can be removed before baking.

9. jmoore120

jmoore120 Active Member

Any negative effects of powder coating the inner sections of the circled parts or is that a no-no?

10. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

I usually rub a little dielectric grease on that surface. For that matter, the spark plug boots too.