Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rear brake conversion = squishy

azburnin

Reaction score
So I just installed my rear brake conversion over to the disk kit. The brakes are squishy there is a lot of play more then stock over all.

Does anyone know of how to fix this or tune this, with out buying a master cylinder? The brakes have been bled twice to ensure no air is in the lines. Is there a fix to this?:hmmmm2:

Coupe

Reaction score
This is a basic question, but often gets over looked.

When you bleed the brakes, did you start at the farthest wheel from the master cylinder, then work closer?

Passenger rear
Driver's rear
Passenger's front
Drivers' front.

Gadget

Reaction score
This is a basic question, but often gets over looked.

When you bleed the brakes, did you start at the farthest wheel from the master cylinder, then work closer?

Passenger rear
Driver's rear
Passenger's front
Drivers' front.

On the right track, but the Driver's side rear is the furthest from the master cylinder.

Bet you a box of donuts there is air in the system.

G

Gunslinger

Reaction score
I'd have to say the same thing. I haven't done brakes on a Taco yet,but in any other vehicle I've done if the pedal feels soft or spongy it's still got air in it.

darthyota

Reaction score
On the right track, but the Driver's side rear is the furthest from the master cylinder.

G

furthest from the master or furthest from the abs actuator?

Coupe

Reaction score

G

I might have to take a closer look at that. Technically it would be as the hose traveled, not as a direct linear distance.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
So I just installed my rear brake conversion over to the disk kit. The brakes are squishy there is a lot of play more then stock over all.

Does anyone know of how to fix this or tune this, with out buying a master cylinder? The brakes have been bled twice to ensure no air is in the lines. Is there a fix to this?:hmmmm2:

Did u bleed the brakes with the key in the ACC mode?

azburnin

Reaction score
Alright so you all think its air in the line, now even if it was bled twice? So have them bleed it again and in which order?

No on the master cylinder then? Just trying to cover all bases here, thanks everyone.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Bleed it again with the key in the ACC position. Then let us know.

autobodyX

Reaction score
Bleed it again with the key in the ACC position. Then let us know.

I don't know about the key in ACC position but I had to bleed mine with the engine running, also had to bleed at the top of the rubber lines (stainless in my case) over the rear end first then each wheel cylinder.

Hope you used dot 4 fluid.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
I don't know about the key in ACC position but I had to bleed mine with the engine running, also had to bleed at the top of the rubber lines (stainless in my case) over the rear end first then each wheel cylinder.

Hope you used dot 4 fluid.

Awesome.same concept engine running, key in acc. He shouldnt have to go to the extent of doing the rubber lines but either way wouldnt hurt. Since he has gotten to this point he mght as well do all 4.

Moneyblind

Reaction score
Would it have anything to do with the master cylinder not being the correct distribution? Just curious, normally squishy'ness is just air in the lines; But when I researched this; The master cylinder braking distribution kept coming up.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Awesome.same concept engine running, key in acc. He shouldnt have to go to the extent of doing the rubber lines but either way wouldnt hurt. Since he has gotten to this point he mght as well do all 4.

That acc is only used on trucks with the integral master cylinder. The ABS unit and master cylinder are one.

Our Trucks you can bleed the brakes with key in off or on...doesnt matter.

You have air in your brakes, Op. Also, enjoy your trucks new found rear brake power. Rear disk conversion completely ****s up the brake bias. :thumbdown:

azburnin

Reaction score
ACC position, check. thanks, i'll let you know. And yeah the brake bias is going to be different but it's better then having the drums lock up on you after running really hard lol.

All of your points are very helpful, the guy installing it said with the other vehicles he's done he's had to recommend a different Master C. I'm not sure if he's bled it with the car running or not, when i did my front bbk i didn't have it running and it bled out just fine. With that the tension was better then stock. I've been using Super blue brake fluid, especially for the track use. I love it.

Last edited:

Reverend_d

Reaction score
well hope all works out for you ... what kit conversion do you have anyways

azburnin

Reaction score
Thanks Rev, its a combo of an is250 and some other parts that tundra racing put together.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
So how'd it go...?

That acc is only used on trucks with the integral master cylinder. The ABS unit and master cylinder are one.

Our Trucks you can bleed the brakes with key in off or on...doesnt matter.

You have air in your brakes, Op. Also, enjoy your trucks new found rear brake power. Rear disk conversion completely ****s up the brake bias. :thumbdown:

Makes sense since thats how mine are...:top:

Last edited:

azburnin

Reaction score
anyone ever hear of an adjustable proportioning valve?

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Yup rexrunner has one on his...See if u can search him and u might get lucky finding a pic of it somewhere.

Top Bottom