Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rear Brake Conversion

Should I do a rear brake conversion?

• Total voters

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this. My last truck had rear drums and I replaced them with a kit from SSBC. In the instructions with that kit, it said to remove the residual pressure spring in the master cylinder. Has anybody with a rear disk conversion done or tired that?

Rick

Not that im aware of. Never even removed my Master cylinder. I installed a a adjustable proportioning valve, and that solved my brake bias issue. Keep in mind, i have the 6-piston 355 rotora with the Tundra racing is350 rear disk conversion.

I strongly DO-NOT recommend it do the terrible instructions, brake bias issues and cost. If you really want to increase your stopping power, pick up a used TRD BBK/ Rotora BBK.

I recommend the TRD BBK (stoptech), do to better options for aftermarket pads. Rotora has no aftermarket pad support, shitty hardware, and some bad QC issues on many products. :thumbdown:

darthyota

Reaction score
Kevin have you thought about fitting a fj master cylinder?

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Kevin have you thought about fitting a fj master cylinder?

Newp. My proportioning valve works fine. :rolleyez:

Dont those use the God-fordaken Hydro-boost/integral master cylinder power assist....:hmmmm2:

darthyota

Reaction score
I'm not sure but I would assume that they are setup to properly proportion rear discs and should bolt into a taco

livinginsa

Reaction score
I did the Rotoras. The fronts were real easy to do but the back ones were hard to do. For one thing, there weren't any real instructions. Then there is a lot more to do on the rear ones. It took me about a couple of hours to do the front ones, only because I had never done them before, and it took me a few days to do the back ones. Next time I could get it all done in the same day. I like the looks, most of all.

I used to hate the way my X stopped but now it stops really quick. I think the brakes would heat up too much to stop all of that weight, and it wouldn't stop very quickly. Now, the brakes are not a weak link in my system.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I could never justify spending several grand just for looks...but to each their own. If your X is out on road courses tearing it up, hot-lapping it...then fine, maybe a BBK out back will help...Even so, we have most of weight up front, and weight transfers forward under braking....simply put, we dont need massive brakes out back. I can only imagine how much of a over kill a multi-piston set up would be on our trucks rear end...:laugh:

Hell, one member has Carbotech coated brakes shoes for his drums...:top:

Coming from someone who actually REALLY pushes his XR, i regret spending the $1000 on the rear disk conversion...It was really not worth it.

autobodyX

Reaction score
I'am the one with the carbotech conversion on my 06 and I bought a 09 with the stop tech front and the is 350 rear conversion tundra racing sells. I purchased the 09 truck from azburnin. I think the brake package works good and that it is worth the money. The e- brake has to be pulled a litter harder but works good. I look forward to taking it to the track soon!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear that Carbotech has replacement pads for the Rotora brakes.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I hear that Carbotech has replacement pads for the Rotora brakes.

...you have my attention....BTW, do you still have your old pads from your bbk? There is a company out here who will.coat the pads in what ever compound you want/need. But I'll need a spare set...:smile:

X-roller

Reaction score
Damn... I remember when I started this thread... I ended up going TRD BBK for now.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken at the time x-roller went with the trd setup due to the price he was able to get them for. I have the rotora kit and it works really well, but as posted earlier if you want more pad options go with the stoptech:top:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that you can get CarboTech pads for the Rotora's as well. :top:

Reaction score
I have the Rotora brakes, front and back, from TundraRacing.com. They suck. They work great but they are loud. They have been loudn since they were brand new. They squeel like a pig but much louder. I replaced the brand new pads with another set of brand new pads, and they were the same, loud, very loud.l I would go with another supplier and another company.

TRD-X

Reaction score
Tundra Racing offers a front and rear StopTech kit look at the link.. :top:

Link >>>> http://tundraracing.com/330xrunnerrotora.htm

stoptechdrilled.jpg

sonic555u

Reaction score
yes do it

Go to tundra racing they sell the stoptech kit that makes it for trd, they have thre front and rear kit and there balanced I only have the front and i love it i eventually want to get the rear kit but dont have the funds currently.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
Everyone who has it and the people who sell it.

Top Bottom