Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Replaced brake shoes - a few tips

Edgeman

Reaction score
Just replaced the rear brake shoes with Toyota OEM replacement brake shoes - and yes, it is a PITA!

I've only replaced rear brake shoes once before (a couple decades ago), so I hit YouTube for a video. I didn't see any X-Runner videos, but there was a 4x4 Tacoma (6-lug wheel) that had all of the same pieces. Also take pictures from every angle so you refer back to them as you put everything back together. I recommend taking pictures on both sides, since they look like a mirror image of each other. (I only took pictures of one side, so I had to picture what it should look like on the other side. Not a big deal, but it did take a little extra thought...lol)

Don't waste your money on a brake shoe tool. You can do everything with pliers, slotted screwdrivers, and (in my case) vice-grips. I needed vice grips to grab the big spring on top when pulling it off & on. The screwdrivers were only used to spin the star wheel to adjust the brakes. Only one is required to expand the brakes, but you'll need the second to hold up the ratcheting lever when you need to move them back in.

It wasn't too difficult keeping track of everything as long as you take your time. I laid everything out in the same orientation that I took it off to keep everything straight. Once I removed a shoe, I laid the replacement shoe out beside it to ensure I was installing the correct part in the correct place. Just take your time... The top springs were a bit tough to remove & replace, but the others weren't too difficult.

Now for the PITA part: removing rusted brake drums! My brake drums had rusted to the hubs around the middle, where the hub comes through the drum. I advise buying a new can of PB Blaster before you start this procedure...lol Spray, wait a few minutes, tap around the drum with a hammer, then spray, wait a few minutes, then tap around the drum with a hammer, then spray... Take a break, relax, then come out and do it again, and again... The first side took me about 10 minutes to remove, but the other side required an hour of work to just get it off without damaging the drum.

Biggest tip: When reinstalling, apply a light coat of grease on the exposed sections of the hub where the shoe will sit, and also a slightly thicker coat of grease around the hub where it meets up with the drum (around the inside of the hole in the middle of the drum). I may start pulling the drums yearly to reapply grease to the exposed surfaces. I don't want to a repeat of that challenge...lol

Take your time, and watch the YouTube video. Anyone can do this job.

Saltnpeppe11

Reaction score
There are also two bolt holes you can thread like an M12 or something like that bolt through and it will push the Drumright off

Edgeman

Reaction score
There are also two bolt holes you can thread like an M12 or something like that bolt through and it will push the Drumright off

Now you tell me...lol But I do recommend greasing the hub surfaces where it meets the drum.

Top Bottom