Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

replacing syncro (myth or fact?)

stan23

Reaction score
Looking to replace the 5th gear syncro on my truck, as it grinds shifting into 5th anything past 2500rpm.

I am reading conflicting reports that it can't be done, and no one has done it.

Should I just go spring for a used tranny? Not interested in doing the T56 swap right now.

justin13703

Reaction score
The 5th gear synchro is part of the output shaft of the transmission and it's all one piece. And I've heard from gadget that he's never seen one worked on and in better condition afterwards so it'll probably be more jacked up than it was before. You can find another used transmission for less than the cost of a new 5th gear/synchro piece.

stan23

Reaction score
The 5th gear synchro is part of the output shaft of the transmission and it's all one piece. And I've heard from gadget that he's never seen one worked on and in better condition afterwards so it'll probably be more jacked up than it was before. You can find another used transmission for less than the cost of a new 5th gear/synchro piece.

That's what I remember reading as well. I will look for a spare tranny for future swap.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Mine does this too almost everytime i shift into 5th from 2500 or above. It only gets worse with more engine speed.

justin13703

Reaction score
Mine does this too almost everytime i shift into 5th from 2500 or above. It only gets worse with more engine speed.

This is exactly what mine was doing. And even if your truck is under warranty the dealership will tell you that you abused it and caused the problem and will firmly declare that no part of any Toyota ever made, currently being made, or not made yet, will ever have a problem and if it does it is clearly the customer's fault.

rennurx

Reaction score
My first trans I had replaced under warranty.. broken gears. Shift forks the whole 9. It was trashed... after the second trans went I had it rebuilt and it held up to my power alot better.. still had problems tho. It will be cheaper to replace but for some reason thw rebuild seems better. Even tho iits all stock replacememt parts.

Last edited:

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I had the service foreman just tell me that the transmission is sloppy. He also told me its a known design flaw. He said what aisen did was took a 5 speed and built a 6th gear into it. Which is why the 5th syncro is attached to the output shaft. He told me that the forks are built differently than most transmissions and not in a good way. At least they are owning up to it but he said its not a major issue. Im not going to make a big deal out of it since its not really bad. I would rather have this current transmission than a brand new one and risk it breaking.

Im sitting in the lobby of the dealer right now just FYI.

Last edited:

stan23

Reaction score
haha..

I usually just short shift to 6th, so it hasn't been a problem. Also my daily driving never involves the freeway so I never have to go to 5th.

I just want to fix it in the future.

autobodyX

Reaction score

When we get together at VIR remind me that you are having this problem and I will help you with a few tricks that I use.

autobodyX

Reaction score
As hard as I have tried I can not drive the X like I have other vehicles, so I had to learn to drive this transmission. 5th gear is particularity finicky. what works for me is paying attention to exactly when I grind, like if going up hill you slow faster during the time it takes to complete the shift so I shift at a higher rpm and try to get it done faster, there is a sweet spot you just have to find it.
I drive and no clutch shift in most vehicles including the X. I use the clutch to start out and to shift into second and then speed shift after that, it took some time to learn this and it is definitely not for everyone, but it teaches you the timing to shift better with or without a clutch.

My advise is this: when you are ready to shift lift of the gas and pull out of gear without the clutch and then push in the clutch and immediately select your nest gear. You will be amazed at how fast it will fall int the gear. Thy this in your third to forth shift first and then second to third before moving on to fifth. Perfect this timing and your problem will solve itself. I have made a video of this and will try to post it up.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
When we get together at VIR remind me that you are having this problem and I will help you with a few tricks that I use.

I will see you there. Look forward to the tricks. I know they do have a sweet spot and most of the time its hard to find. This transmission is not that forgiving

stan23

Reaction score
I'm well versed in shifting w/o the clutch in, and if I hit the sweet spot shifting into 5th, usually around and right under 2500 rpm, I can sometimes get it not to grind.

Not really an acceptable workaround for me, I rather just short shift to 6th!

kcidmil

Reaction score
This is exactly what mine was doing. And even if your truck is under warranty the dealership will tell you that you abused it and caused the problem and will firmly declare that no part of any Toyota ever made, currently being made, or not made yet, will ever have a problem and if it does it is clearly the customer's fault.

And that's where I tend to remind the service agent the RA60 is not a Toyota transmission but a AISIN AY6 that is the spawn from hell and the bane of every car/truck it has been put into.

Red-XR-Pride

Reaction score
I had mine rebuilt core swap everything and it was 900$ and waay better then stock ever was

Top Bottom