Roof Paint

Discussion in 'Stock Exterior' started by BSP06XRU, Dec 2, 2013.

1. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Last week I noticed that my roof still looked wet from a distance. Kinda like dew on the roof, but it was in the middle of the day.

When I got closer too check it out, I found this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tine to get the roof surface rust ground off and re-sprayed. :thumbdown:

2. easts1d3

easts1d3 Member

Oh jeez!
    That looks terrible, should probably get that fixed asap

3. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

Wow, that looks pretty bad! Time to find a painter, maybe clean it up with wd40 rust repellant and throw some plasti dip on it till you can get it fixed!

4. P05X

P05X "Wicked Pissah"

Wow that's bad all most looks like paint stripper was sprayed on your roof.

5. Slywhitty

Slywhitty "Midget Magnet"

Ya I was gonna say something like that. I know you keep your truck clean (well it always is in pics lol) something like that just doesn't happen overnight

6. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

I was actually thinking that but I would think if someone was going to actually do that it would more extensive and in more places, parked someone where they were painting and an accident happened?

7. GR6RR

GR6RR New Member

We're not supposed to get those type of damage from SoCal weather...

8. chatt x

chatt x Member

Steve, did you do some wiping on those spots? There are clear looking fibers around the spots. I've never seen paint damage like that unless it was some kind of chemical attack. I believe you have been vandalized. If it isn't some jackass that thought your truck was "too nice" and decided to fix it for ya, I'd like to know what the cause is.

#8 chatt x, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  9. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

#9 hrspwr236, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  10. smftexas86

smftexas86 New Member

the only thing about BSP's damage that's weird to me. If its paint stripper or some other vandalization, why only the roof? Why no run off anywhere and other damage?

11. X-MOKED U

X-MOKED U New Member

your truck is still awesome steve

12. gearhead899

gearhead899 Active Member

damn that sucks! do you wash your truck by hand? If so i would think you would have noticed that when washing the roof. I wash my truck and wax it like crazy. buy im often guilty of not waxing the roof. But i probly should more often to prevent this from happening :thumbdown:

13. Edgeman

Edgeman Member

That's what it looks like to me too. Contact your insurance company ASAP. I think this is covered under comprehensive. They'll let you know if you need to contact the police and/or a body shop to confirm the cause of the damage.

14. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

May be worth the possible slight increase in premium if your insurance plays that game if not you get it fixed at a fraction and done right if your have a low deductible!

15. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

Man that looks terrible. I also believe that something or someone caused that, that doesn't look like the kind of damage that just shows up one day.

16. 06 xrunner

06 xrunner New Member

Yeah I agree. Definitely something you would notice slowly starting than too all of a sudden be there that bad

it is weird that only on roof though

17. Edgeman

Edgeman Member

I showed your pictures to my ICAR (Paint & Body) instructor last night, and he concurred your truck was vandalized, most likely by chemical paint remover. Hopefully your insurance will cover the cost of repainting your roof.

Not sure if this will jack your rates. Generally you see increases when you have an "at fault" accident. Don't know if being a victim of vandalism should make them go up since you didn't do anything "risky" while driving. Hopefully someone on here works in the insurance business, and can advise you how to proceed.

Good luck!

18. skydivedevin

skydivedevin New Member

You weren't vandalized. I just noticed mine is doing the exact same thing except mine is even worse. After some internet investigating, it appears other 2nd gen tacoma owners are having the same problem.

19. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

I couldn't help but notice that both of you are BSP --- could it be that particular paint?

20. darthyota

darthyota Active Member

That definitely looks like chemical paint stripper or the result of leaving brake fluid on the paint or something similar. I would venture to guess someone did this with malicious intent to your truck.