Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Shifting and etc...

07speedwayblue

Reaction score
I just got my 07 X-Runner and it's everything I want it to be. I did notice that the shifting is different on this truck than on the old Ford Ranger I used to have.

I just can't seem to time it right, and at times i'm riding my clutch.

I'll deploy the clutch and release gas, then shift then apply gas. I hear this whirring sound. Like the clutch is spinning really fast. It's almost like riding the clutch but my foot isn't on the gas. I'm just concerned that my truck is being hurt.

It seems fine.

I am shifting pretty bad on this truck, but I did manage to take a pretty quick accord this morning. He actually came to my house in the middle of the night and wanted a rematch. But my concern is that i'm hurting my truck, so until I master my shifting on this vehicle, I really don't want to burn him again. How strong is the clutch on this thing? Is it pretty tough?

The accord kept with me till midway through third gear, but after that, I just blasted him. I think I would have had him earlier if I had my shifting on this truck down. I do notice that 2nd and 4th gear have a pretty good power band for a stock vehicle.

My shifting is jerky, and I really didn't have that problem with my old truck. Sometimes it's seamless, but I think I need to practice or something, any suggestions on the how to shift this truck and what RPM's are ideal for shifting to achieve the best acceleration. I get freaked out when I hear that whirring sound.

Everyone and their dog wants to race against my truck. It's like all of the sudden everyone notices me.

I am very new here, so I hope that ya'll will correct me if I am posting in the wrong place.

Last edited:

ateam20x

Reaction score
just a new truck, everythings at a tighter fit, you'll get use to it

SupraJunky101

Reaction score
Some will say it takes some getting used too. Some will say theres no problem at all but in my opinion the gearbox of this truck sucks ass. Even with a short shifter and a tranny flush. It's still a hard, notchy transmission

lucke

Reaction score
shift it more like you would a sports car. thats the way this truck wants to be driven unlike your old ranger

07speedwayblue

Reaction score
Awesome, I will shift it like a sports car.

It handles like one...

I do like the gearbox thus far on my truck. It is a bit rough at times, but I chalk that up to my bad shifting. When I shift smoothly it is seamless, and I love it, nothing but acceleration. I'm still finding my sitting position in the vehicle. That may help me with my shifting as well.

Thanks!

XDsm

Reaction score
Everyone complains about the transmission and shifting but honestly I got to say I have never had an issue. Every standard car/truck will be different. Different clutch catch points, shifter notchiness, etc it's just a case of getting used to the car. My DSM has a much stiffer clutch than my XR. Also if you want to talk about having trouble finding shift points you got to get your clutch/gas timing right in that car to shift through the gears like butter. Very little margin of error, makes driving the XR feel like it's an automatic. Worst manual I have driven was my buddy's race Mustang. It had the Ford Motorsports transmission with clutch and a whole book of mods. After driving that car around a few blocks my leg was starting to cramp from pushing the clutch. That thing was stiff as hell not to mention extremely sensitive.

HiTek21

Reaction score
I think all the new Tacoma manual trannys RPM go up when you press on the clutch. I can coast down a hill in neutral and it will idle higher than when at a stop. I don't get why but oh well.

I think someone on Toyota Nation was trying to protest it as being a lemon including videos of what he was talking about.

Still I think it might have been better as a 5 speed. I usually drive on the freeway and shift quickly from 4th to 5th and then to 6th a split second later. I think if you get a URD Short shifter or TRD Short shifter you will like it a lot more. I know I do, it gets rid of the play and its a lot more precise.

Racerboy44

Reaction score
Everyone complains about the transmission and shifting but honestly I got to say I have never had an issue. Every standard car/truck will be different. Different clutch catch points, shifter notchiness, etc it's just a case of getting used to the car. My DSM has a much stiffer clutch than my XR. Also if you want to talk about having trouble finding shift points you got to get your clutch/gas timing right in that car to shift through the gears like butter. Very little margin of error, makes driving the XR feel like it's an automatic. Worst manual I have driven was my buddy's race Mustang. It had the Ford Motorsports transmission with clutch and a whole book of mods. After driving that car around a few blocks my leg was starting to cramp from pushing the clutch. That thing was stiff as hell not to mention extremely sensitive.

Most of what you are saying is true about every car having different shifting characteristics. However, in all my 17 years of driving all types of manual tranmissions, I've never come across a car or truck where the revs hang up between shifts like they do with this truck. My S-Runner shifted perfectly and anyone could hop in that truck and drive it smoothly immediately. I mean if I didn't love everything else about the XR I probably would have taken it back to the dealer and said no thanks. It just isn't right and suggests a fuel problem of some kind. I can't believe more people on this forum don't question this issue. Is the truck still fun to drive? Yes. But that doesn't mean I will pretend it doesn't bother me.
If you race through the gears quickly leaving almost no gap between shifts then the issue is less noticeable but who wants to do that all day.
I have thought several times about taking it in to have it looked at but I'm sure they would just tell me there is nothing wrong with it and that's just the way it is. I would at least like to know why these trucks do this. But it doesn't seem like anyone really knows. I've heard that it might be for emissions reasons but if that's the case, then why don't other cars do this? Just very strange to me.

Top Bottom