Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Some Auto-X Questions

Limitless

Reaction score
Well just had my first AX expeirience and it was a blast. Didnt represent the XR community properly the first day but went all out on day two and turned heads. Since i am now hooked...I am looking to get an idea of what i should plan to do mod wise next. So...

What can i get away with doing and stay in stock.
-Do we have front sway bars available for our trucks and would it do anything?
-What rims/tires should i get for racing (like having the tires on another set of rims for easy swapping)
-Would it be worth it to cheap out and just get a good set of rear rims/tires and keep stock fronts (less drifitng more accelerating)
-What suspension stuff can i do (springs/shocks where mentioned but wasnt sure what that entailed)

If I forget about stock and just start adding stuff, Do our trucks qualify for STS (coupe/sedan up to 5.1L NA), or do we go straight to ESP. And what would it even be worth it to do STS?

The main thing is having fun and i will do that regardless, just trying to understand the classing a little more and know what kind of mods I should aim to do when i get $. Main disavantage i feel i had was not gripping around the turns and doing quite a bit of drifting, although that was a good bit of the enjoyment :rockon:. Also, i noticed the truck didnt like breaking too much, ABS would kick in and make it kind of rough to try and set up for a turn, was fin on the straights but add any turning while breaking and it got jumpy.

redarkx

Reaction score
I'm stock, just like you and h r the same issues. I just put on some Dunlop durezza tires and am hoping to have better grip in the rear than on the balding goodyears I ran last time. As far as what you can do and still remain stock, I was told any suspension mods, including sways, put me in prepared class. As well as CAI or more than a catback exhaust.

darthyota

Reaction score
as far as staying in the stock class you can basicly do intake and exhaust as they are freebies in stock classes you might be able to do sway bars but i dont remember the other thing you can do is tires but you cant go larger then stock and your not allowed to change your rims either as that will bump you from stock. as soon as you lower the truck they will most likely through you into esp as thats where i got put with the ss track ready kit and a set of wider rims. although now that i have the trd blower im now in sm (spend money). the best thing you can do is read the rules and prep the truck as to what class you want to be in, keep in mind the x will never be as competitive as some of the cars that come out but as long as your having fun and learning the limits of your truck then thats all that matters. heres a link to the current rule set. http://www.scca.com/documents/2011%20Tech/2011%20SCCA%20Solo%20Rules.pdf

Limitless

Reaction score
So i guess il pick up a cat-back next then since that'll keep me stock. Then save $2k and dump it all into suspension/tires at once to be decent in ESP. Where is a good place to get racing rims/tires and should our trucks have 4 of the same or bigger rear tires? (and what size rims/tires should be run for AX). And just a thought while filling up but are we better off with a full tank or quarter, do we want wieght back there or not if we are whipping it around.

The rule set you linked went over the items in more detail but here was the pdf they gave us which kinda summerized what the classes can have.

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/solo_categories.pdf

darthyota

Reaction score
im not sure what size tire would be best for AX as ive never run in that class this coming season i think im going to run 275/40/18's all round. i also always make sure i fill up before i compete just to have some added weight over the rear axle

BondXII

Reaction score
I'm on my second year of running in STX. Initially I had a URD cat-back, a TRD CAI, a TRD SS and a Uni-Chip. I got another set of X rims and put Nitto NT01 (275/35/18) on them. They didn't change my class because I'm running them on stock rims. (have to look into this before i get into trouble. just read in your link that I'm limited to 265 tire. oops.) From reading the full book, I can put on the track ready SS kit because it's a bolt on. It says that there are no limits as long as it's a bolt on and no modification to the vehicle are done. Theoretically, I should be able to remain in STX until I put on the TRD SC. Then I'll be in STU since you're limited to 2.0 liters if you're supercharged or turbocharged. At the end of the day though, it really depends on the tech's interpretation of the classes in the rulebook. It seems like we are all in different classes throughout the forum. Between the different mods and what each region thinks these damn trucks should be in class wise it's kind of a mess. Maybe we should do a poll and figure out everybody's class and what mods they have. Might be able to get some consistency throughout the US in the SOLO world.

As long as you're having a blast, who cares what class you're in. It's nice to see yourself at the top of your class, but in SOLO you're really just racing yourself and trying to get the best time that you can.

Xoverdose

Reaction score
I ran for the first time the other day and I was in H Stock. I had a blast and the X really handles great, i was actually really impressed. We had a lot of people out adjusting tire pressure throughout the day, what PSI is everyone else running or is there even that big of an advantage to changing it?

azburnin

Reaction score
I run 35psi but honestly if it gets higher then that for my tires i it gets a little loose.

Limitless

Reaction score
Ordered the SS track drop/QA1/URD trac bar last week so looks like I will run either STX or ESP next time i race (which will probably be in pittsburgh on the 14th).

Top Bottom