Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steering Rack Spacer Question?

Old 'Rollas

Reaction score
Hey,

I am curious if anyone on here has measured if the steering rack has any unused teeth. By this, I mean, turn the wheel until lock, remove inner tie rod end on short side and see if can turn the rack any further.

I come from the Corolla background and there are rack spacer kits that will allow the rack to move further to lock.

If anyone has had the steering rack apart, maybe could remember if there are extra teeth on the rack.

The other option for more angle is, (as I've found with the search) cutting and shortening the steering arms on the knuckles.

If not the rack spacers, and other than the cut/weld option, do we have any other options for increased angle?

Cheers
Bryan

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
You should talk to Kevin.

See his thread HERE and his post #12 on that thread.

Hope that helps! :top:

Old 'Rollas

Reaction score
Thank you. I did read that thread and his build thread. Cutting and shortening the steering arm was one option for sure. What I have seen done is that and lengthening the LCA and notching it for outer tie rod clearance etc etc.

What I want to know, is would these trucks benefit from some sort of rack spacer... the rack spacer would give more rack travel, not quicker steering as the cut/weld steering arm method would.

For quick steering, there is a quafe qs adapter that can be installed inline of the steering shaft, more modding and space requirements etc

Again, anyone have the stock rack apart? anyone know if there are unused teeth on the rack?

Cheers

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Thank you. I did read that thread and his build thread. Cutting and shortening the steering arm was one option for sure. What I have seen done is that and lengthening the LCA and notching it for outer tie rod clearance etc etc.

What I want to know, is would these trucks benefit from some sort of rack spacer... the rack spacer would give more rack travel, not quicker steering as the cut/weld steering arm method would.

For quick steering, there is a quafe qs adapter that can be installed inline of the steering shaft, more modding and space requirements etc

Again, anyone have the stock rack apart? anyone know if there are unused teeth on the rack?

Cheers

We had a rack torn apart in shop, no, there are no unused teeth. Our trucks dont use steering stops, it merely just maxes out the the rack. The rack was from a 05 5 lug Tacoma. Uses the same rack as the XR. :thumbdown:

Only modifactions you need to make to get my knuckles to fit, is rims with = or less backspacing then the OEM's, and a 1" bolt on wheel spacer. The closest part on our LCA to the outer tierod is the mount for the sway bar. With in 1/4" at opo lock. I did not have to modify mine, but it could very well use a bit of notching out or potential relocating, just in case. :top: I have tried sticking clay on various components to see if they rub. only issue i had was with 18x10+22 up front... now at 18x9+24, 0 issues.

I can make you set of Knuckles, if you so please. I have over 10k miles on mine, zero issues so far. PM if interested.

Version 2.0's will be slightly more nuts, and will utilize an adjustable UCA, along with a lengthened or completely redone LCA, and of course...more angle. :blurock:

quafe QS? how does that work/info? I learned how to drift on my XR, so i know little on what is available for other markets. thanks.

Last edited:

Old 'Rollas

Reaction score
Ok. Thank you.

So something like this will not work for our trucks.... hmmm... well here's a drawing I made to illustrate what a rack spacer would do....

The Red shows the teeth on the rack that aren't being used normally, then when the spacer is installed, they are being used.
The Yellow show where the rack spacer goes.
The Blue is the plastic (usually) washer that limits the rack travel normally if not a steering stop elsewhere.

Sorry, the quick steer unit was not from Quaife, I was trying to remember where they are from. They are used on circle track racers. Basically a bolt on quick ratio steering alternative. Just a thought.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0502_quick_steer/index.html

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I'd have To double check on the rack, yes I know what a tierod spacer does. If it was aimed at other folk, disregard last.

Anywho, from I noticed our rack maxs teeth out. The rack we had a apart had wear across all the teeth. I can double check. TIS might have a good diagram of our our rack. See uploaded. The rack we had, showed wear across entire racks teeth, so i assume that means it contacts all of them.

These guys have them too... 2:1, would quicken steering response for sure.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-Quickener.html

Hmmm...this I like. Book marked. :top:

Attachments

• rack.JPG
    rack.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Old 'Rollas

Reaction score
That or maybe how much it may cost to get some extra teeth machined in... i dunno. Just a thought.

Thank you for the replies.

Urban

Reaction score
Anyone try and put a FJ Cruiser/4 runner steering rack in? They are 2.7 turns lock to lock opposed to 3.64 for the 4x4's and 3.43 for the 4x2's.

Nashman

Reaction score
Anyone try and put a FJ Cruiser/4 runner steering rack in? They are 2.7 turns lock to lock opposed to 3.64 for the 4x4's and 3.43 for the 4x2's.

best to look at both knuckles bet the diff is in the arms

Top Bottom