stereo control question...steering wheel

Discussion in 'CD Receivers & Changers' started by blu xr, Jun 2, 2011.

1. blu xr

blu xr Member

i looked around but didnt see where anyone has done this. is it possible to hook up the control buttons on the steering wheel to operate an aftermarket head unit?. my oem unit was replaced with a kenwood & ipod cable set up. i'll try to get the model later.

does anyone have theirs hooked up and working? is there some special connector or maybe some jumpers so i could get this to work? just thought it would be nice if they actually functioned. also, does anyone know what the blank buttons on the right side are for? do some of you guys with newer xr's have extra equip. that i dont have?

:top: thx

2. shaggy08xr

shaggy08xr Active Member

I have been told there is some kinda Bluetooth device that makes them functional, but haven't seen it yet. I also want to fix this problem.

3. triumphx

triumphx New Member

The only thing i can think of is to break the deck open and see what wires are connected to the buttons you wish to control and solder a wire to them to bridge off of. More of a pita than its probably worth but im interested in this as well. C'mon geineu(?) pig!

4. absolut

absolut New Member

yes u can, I have the eclipse head unit and the buttons work, u need to get the connectors.

5. x20Runner05

x20Runner05 New Member

I have a Eclipse in-dash and i never had to add anything for the steering controls. Mine was all built into the wiring for the radio. Other radios offer to use the PAC module to hook it up and i beleive the module runs about $70

6. TomsXR

TomsXR New Member

I use the Metra Access ASWC to get the steering wheel buttons to work. Can also get a PAC steering wheel control module as well.

7. Edgeman

Edgeman Active Member

Go to Crutchfield's website. I believe they sell a device, but at the very least, you can ask one of their techs.

8. blu xr

blu xr Member

thx guys for the help.

i'll look into all this....im sure it will differ a little between the head unit brand.

but still...does anyone have buttons on the right side of the steering wheel? what are they for?

9. arizonacatjetton

arizonacatjetton New Member

I have a Kenwood DNX 6140 double din and I bought the harness so you can still use your factory steering wheel buttons. I think the harness was like 45.00 or something like that, but its really easy to install and the buttons work great.

10. carlos787

carlos787 New Member

That's a ? I had too. Now I know where to look. Thnx