Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sticky residue removal

asianized

Reaction score
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x470/kolohe58/IMAG0132.jpg

previous owner had those window visors that stick to the door and i didnt like that. so i removed them but the sticky residue still remains. i used goo-gone for the drivers door but took freakin forever to remove it. i bought something from the auto parts store in seattle b4 to remove this kinda stuff but i cant remember what the name of it was. can anybody recommend something that works faster than the goo-gone. thankx!!!!

STONER-X

Reaction score
here are a few methods you can use... but few might damage paint if you are not careful.

use a hair drier to warm the tape... then pick on one side and try to ball or roll it up and off..

you might be able to take a plastic putty knife or a bondo spreader BUT BE WARNED if you use this be sure NOT to push into the paint... just push across the surface... also might use hair drier to soften the tape..

you might be able to take a piece of fishing string and work it under the tape and use a back and forward motion... but it looks like a tight fit to do this

be sure to throw some wax over the area that you used the goo gone... that stuff probably removed all wax in that area

Last edited:

JFrame

Reaction score
I would say put a little heat to it and work it with your fingers to see if you can get it to "roll" off. Afterwards hit it with some goo gone and you should be good.

Rickysnickers

Reaction score
WD40 will work and it won't hurt the paint. Use a soft terry cloth towel or better yet a microfiber towel. Clean the are first, then use the WD40 on it. Clean it off afterwards and apply a little wax to the area. Good to go.

Rick

Toon714

Reaction score
Just use goo gone. Itll take off the sticky residue.
Without harming the paint.
Just wash the truck after u use it.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
goo gone works on everything...tree sap, stickers residue, etc. will also get paint scuffs off from other cars or if you bump something.

redarkx

Reaction score
creamy peanut butter. No joke man. Rub it on and then wipe off, windex the spot when your done. Works wonderful, used it to remove a number sticker off my old s-10.

JFrame

Reaction score
creamy peanut butter. No joke man. Rub it on and then wipe off, windex the spot when your done. Works wonderful, used it to remove a number sticker off my old s-10.

Never heard of that before.

Xoverdose

Reaction score
We use high proof alcohol at work to get stuff off of new rocker panels if they get a little bit of glue on them. Ive used goo gone and Methyl Ethyl Keytone as well, but that could damage the paint and its pretty dangerous stuff.

kcidmil

Reaction score
Goo Gone and acetone are among the items I've used before. Goo Gone can sometimes leave a film. Acetone with a soft shop paper towel works great.

nick_gz1

Reaction score
Yea I would heat gun it up n goo gone after like some mentioned

Gunslinger

Reaction score
I've used lighter fluid ( naptha ),rubbing alcohol,goo gone,gasoline,finger nail polish remover ( acetone) to remove sticky residue from items. I would avoid the acetone and the naptha to take stuff off paint though. Just a couple of ideas for ya.

elynor_v

Reaction score
The trick to Goo Gone is letting it sit for a few minutes. Use a rag soaked, not dripping, with the Goo Gone and just set it on the sticky stuff for 5-10minutes. You'll be able to wipe it off without affecting the clear coat too much.

Top Bottom