Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

strange noise

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Ok so a little background on my suspension. I have the XII drop coils and blocks (yes i know i need leaf springs) i also have sway bars bushings that i just greased. I havent had an alignment yet and i know my camber is completely out. Other than that everything else is in specs according the the chart that toyota has. Anyways on with business i have some rubbing/slight grinding noise coming from somewhere when i take corners at low speeds usually when im driving in the parking lot. It seems to only happen when the engine has warmed up and when the clutch is engaged. When i depress the clutch it goes away. Going in a straight line it doesnt make noise or rub only in corners. Any ideas? I dont think its power steering pump cause it doesnt wine and i dont have issues turning the wheel. I was thinking rack and pinion but im not so sure. I dont see any leaks anywhere and all fluids are topped off and clean. Im really stumped on this one guys i could use some help.

P.S. i have 80500 miles on it right now. And i have the stock rims and tires

Rey Perez

Reaction score
I have the same drop for about 2 months and I haven't noticed any weird noise but I have noticed my camber is out as well but my buddy has the same set up as well but for some reason his camber was off more than mine and he started hearing the same noise (idk if it was with the clutch in or out I was never in the truck) but he took it to the alignment shop and they told him that once you lower a car you cant align it right because the machines are calibrated to stock height bla bla bla... the point is we tried to straighten the camber out ourselves by bringing it in a little and no more noise we both now have the same camber ( by eye at least) and none of us are getting any noises hope this helps.

P.S. we never used a tape measurer we just brought it in just a little equal on both sides

SgtBadA

Reaction score
They should be able to still align it even with it being lowered. My truck has been making this noise even before i lowered it though.

butters607

Reaction score
I know what your talking about and I have yet to determine this issue as well and I'm wondering if the wheel bearing is crushed.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Yes i believe so. I had it at the dealership and the tech could hear the noise and couldnt find out what it was. I dont think a u joint would make noise like that.

06 xr

Reaction score
When my lsd was on its way out it would sound like a wheel rubbing when turning, more noticeable in parking lots on throttle and only after it was driven a few miles/warmed up

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I hope its not that. It shouldnt be at the end of its life its only 6 years old.

Gadget

Reaction score
Do you have a short shifter installed and does it only make the noise when you are jamming on the throttle?

G

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I have a URD short throw shifter installed but it usually makes noise when im just maintaining speed or decelerating. Im usually not accelerating when its occuring.

Gadget

Reaction score
Check to see if the mounting bolts are coming in contact with the floor of the vehicle around the shifter opening.

G

BondXII

Reaction score
Doesn't "sound" like its a suspension issue...but you do really need to get it aligned. If the geometry is off, it will put unwanted stress with the suspension. I think your noise is elsewhere, but this still should be addressed. Make sure you take it to a shop that does alignments on lowered/lifted vehicles. Some shops take the easy way out and blame the computer calibration and what not so they don't have to try to get it right. A lot of others are afraid of "how" you lowered it and don't think that they can get it in specs. There are plenty of ways to lower vehicles that are not exactly proper. Lol.

I think that Gadget is on to something though. Not necessarily anything to do with a short shifter bolt head, but probably something simple that is making metal contact somewhere when you put stress in the right place in a turn. Good chance that it is nothing more than an annoyance and not something that would break.

Good luck finding the noise. Hopefully it's something simple.

SgtBadA

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Tomorrow im putting my truck on a lift and looking into this problem further. I do need to tighten the bolts down ive noticed the shifter feels a little loose. According to the dealership the SAI (steering angle inclination) is out on the passenger side. They say its the upper control arm is bent. I dont think that would cause this noise. But until i get the upper control fixed and a good alignment im going to look into the rest of the driveline. Ill do my best to update this thread

SgtBadA

Reaction score
ok guys another question I have. I had my truck on the lift the other day and I grabbed my draft shaft and with all tires still on the ground I could rotate it about a 1/2 inch. is that normal? it doesn't move front to back thank god im sure if it did something would be very wrong.

Top Bottom