Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Synthetic vs Dino in 2013 6 speed

87aaron

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I have searched and know most recommend Redline or Amsoil for the tranny. I'm getting my 2013 delivered soon and am thinking about swapping out the oil.
Here's my dilemma. All of the techs and car guys I know say NEVER put synthetic in the tranny. It's too slippery for the synchros to work right.
From my experience, when I got my 99 Tacoma 5 speed, I thought the tranny was too loud and switched to Mobil1. The shifting did not change much, but if anything, it did get slightly crunchier. That's when everyone and their brother told me to never use synthetic in a manual trans.
So everyone I know says not to use synthetic in my new truck's tranny, but mostly everyone here says it will shift better.
Any insights?

hiflyer

Reaction score
i'm rnning amsoil in my transmission & it made a world of difference over the stock

hardly ever crunch going into 2nd now...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You have to get a synthetic that matches the requirements of the transmission, which will be in the owners manual. If it says GL4, don't use a GL5.

justin13703

Reaction score
Honestly since the truck is new I would just leave what's in there there until its time to change it. It seems like with these trannies the only way to prevent issues is to replace it with a t56 lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The manual for 99 said GL-4 or GL-5, Mobil1 is GL-5.

The manual for '05+ says GL4. Do not add GL5.

Honestly since the truck is new I would just leave what's in there there until its time to change it. It seems like with these trannies the only way to prevent issues is to replace it with a t56 lol

There is always the 5 speed option as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom