Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T/O bearing going out...

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
Not even a year and that POS oem t/o bearing is already starting to give me the little signs its about to take a dump on me
1.squeaked on me once when it was off while i pressed on the clutch about 2 days ago
2.i could hear a very slight sound like rattle or something whinning around under my truck today..still drove to work 30miles and it seemed fine...i just know its coming! :argh:
tranny still changes great so im thankful for that but i just hate having this damn issue nothing else has ever gone bad on the X its a pretty solid truck ...had it done when i got the truck im not sure if the dealership just F'd me and didnt do it or these just dont last like they are famous for...either way thinking of going the other route...with a URD upgrade kit
http://urdusa.com/Clutch-and-Flywhe...IT,-2005+-Tacoma-V6-6-Speed/product_info.html
just wondering if this is a job i could do? and if there is people here that had done it that would have any reccomendations for me on how to do it...or if i should just take it to a shop and let them have all the fun:thumbdown:...im no master tech but i get around an engine not really big on trannys tho so im not sure if i should also just get a upgraded clutch....there is just so much tormenting my head right now...if anyone can help with some imput it would be really appreciated

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Trans isn't terrible to remove
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=20459

Jack the truck up high, drain the trans, remove the 4 14mm bolts holing in the drive shaft, undue the carrier bearing pull out drive shaft and set aside.

Remove y pipe and disconnect all sensors on Y and trans: remove shifter arm(twist the lock ring) there are 8 bolts in total to hold in the trans(4 17mm bolts on top and 4 14mm on bottom) I got the top ones by going over the top of the motor(arm looks like I was attacked by a cat now though.

Remove header brackets, inspection cover and slave(set aside no need to bleed just yet)

I used a motorcycle jack and some 2x4's to raise and lower the trans, hardest part by far is lining the splines back up again for reinstall but overall all it takes is basic tools and a torque wrench!!

It will be a solid day but isn't too bad:top:

And yes the URD TOB is worth it!!

I may have missed a few small things but that's the bulk of it:top:

Last edited:

06 xrunner

Reaction score
I have the same issue gonna order the TOB upgrade as well and tackle it. I heard as well for those top tranny bolts if you have a few extensions combined it helps to get them out approx 3ft of extensions is needed from what I read

Any other tips greatly appreciated

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how big your arms are its easier to go from the top rather than go fishing with extensions..... a jack also helps but two people can muscle it in... Also the clip on the very top of the trans is a fawk'n PITA eh slywitty....

(Yeah i said eh:canada:)

Last edited:

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Haha ya they are a huge pain. Small hands needed for them. Jokes on you though Cory. Your putting those on mine when I swap my clutch!! Lol

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys! (specially HOTTACOx) MUCH appreciated! this project seems more and more doable feeling like im gonna try to tackle it myself!

madtrucker

Reaction score
I thought Toyota upgraded the tob because of the squeak. Aren't the new ones squeak free? I hope they would have fixed this by now.

butters607

Reaction score
Lining up the splines are easy to just use the driveshaft and have someone spin it

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
is there any special tools i might need?

any special aligning tips? things i should watchout for:hmmmm2:

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Clutch alignment tool some kits include. If your not replacing the clutch then no.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
not replacing clutch as of now im pretty sure its still pretty good as well as the tranny shifts pretty good since i did the mt90 change 2 weeks ago...looks like im gonna have to buy the fluid again...

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
You don't NEED to drain the trans. Just don't let it tip over and come out of the top when the shifter is removed.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
anybody got a diagram of tha tranny and clutch so i know what im looking at when i need to take the bearing out?

also how tight is the bearing in there? would i need a special tool to get it out?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
The to bearing is on the shift fork which will be in the bell housing of the trans. I have pics of mine but haven't gotten them off my camera yet soon I hope... It's one of those that will all make sense when you see it...

06 xrunner

Reaction score
If you read through this thread It's pretty thorough for removing the tranny and you can see where the TOB is. The thread says there's a couple clips I think that hold it on can't quite remember though gotta read it again

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20459

I ordered the TOB sleeve upgrade today from Gadget and was talking to him about it since I just put redline MT-90 in a couple thousand kms ago to. He said shops usually have a plug that goes where the driveshaft connects once you unbolt it but not sure if you can buy one somewhere or not. He recommended draining it as this is the easiest way so I figure I'll drain mine into something clean and new and see how it looks if I can reuse it or not.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
The to bearing is on the shift fork which will be in the bell housing of the trans. I have pics of mine but haven't gotten them off my camera yet soon I hope... It's one of those that will all make sense when you see it...
thanks man im just trying to picture it all in my head and that would complete the puzzle

If you read through this thread It's pretty thorough for removing the tranny and you can see where the TOB is. The thread says there's a couple clips I think that hold it on can't quite remember though gotta read it again

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20459

I ordered the TOB sleeve upgrade today from Gadget and was talking to him about it since I just put redline MT-90 in a couple thousand kms ago to. He said shops usually have a plug that goes where the driveshaft connects once you unbolt it but not sure if you can buy one somewhere or not. He recommended draining it as this is the easiest way so I figure I'll drain mine into something clean and new and see how it looks if I can reuse it or not.

nice i think i might just dump it and just buy 2 more qts of mt90 fresh in there since im in the same predicament... what type of torque wrench are you using? since i dont have one i think i should deff start ordering all this crap in advance

06 xrunner

Reaction score
I don't have one either I probably just borrow my buddies he has pretty much any tool you could need but I should probably look into getting one once I see one on sale. The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how high I need to have the truck up and what I'm gonna lower the tranny with. I might use a motorcycle jack like mentioned in that thread and modify it to hold the tranny

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
yeah man same thing here im just trying to start stackin up my tool collection these things always come in handy, and im trying to figure out wth im gonna use as a jack for the trans too....might have to also buy another jack

dramad1

Reaction score
I don't have one either I probably just borrow my buddies he has pretty much any tool you could need but I should probably look into getting one once I see one on sale. The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how high I need to have the truck up and what I'm gonna lower the tranny with. I might use a motorcycle jack like mentioned in that thread and modify it to hold the tranny

Cherry picker works great. Lol jk, but does work

Attachments

• image-570411021.jpg
    image-570411021.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3438201248.jpg
    image-3438201248.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2614937383.jpg
    image-2614937383.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 90

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
Cherry picker works great. Lol jk, but does work

now that thing does work! lol

in all reallity im gonna see if i can just rent or borrow something from a parts store or tool shop

Last edited:
Top Bottom