Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T56 shifter help/advice needed

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
I have an MGW on the way as well. I went to the track today and it was absolutely miserable. 3 passes, I missed third once, and into first I went ni was grandma shifting just in case so i caught it before breaking anything. Missed fourth on the other 2 runs. I actually tried my burnout in 3rd. I thought it was in first. This shifter is like a hot naked chick that has no ******!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That is horrible. Reminds me of how I feel trying to race my truck with this worn out stock trans. :/

Can't wait to see how you feel about the MGW. Post up some pics as well.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I have never ended up hitting first gear, but I have had trouble hitting third. Usually it just won't go into gear like I am wanting and I end up letting off the clutch too soon and grinding gears. Third is the only place I have ever had issues, and its not nearly as bad as the issues I was having with the 1-2 shift on the stocker.

outlaw7

Reaction score
That is horrible. Reminds me of h ow I feel trying to race my truck with this worn out stock trans. :/

Can't wait to see how you feel about the MGW. Post up some pics as well.

You have an alternative in mind to ditch the tranny and keep the transcase? Sorry for the threadjack if its too far off topic shoot me a pm mark.

Murderface

Reaction score
Damn new grand and u still have issues with shifting! That Sux balls after all that money is spent trying to correct the Toyota stock transmission!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You have an alternative in mind to ditch the tranny and keep the transcase? Sorry for the threadjack if its too far off topic shoot me a pm mark.

Sure do. :crinklehair:

T56_4X4.jpg

Here is the link.

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=39436&page=17

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I believe you're going to have to do some work to get that shifter position to work.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Growing a longer pair of legs is already on the list. :crinklehair:

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
MGW just called me. The shifter is on back order. Prolly a couple weeks before it gets shipped. Never fails!

Gadget

Reaction score
I just got the same call too....

G

Coupe

Reaction score
I think Hurst makes a pretty nice one as well.

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit I just figured out: if I push the shifter forward, or pull it back, while in gear, it changes where the neutral position is. I can make neutral move two inches forward or backward, which gets somewhat confusing while driving. I am gonaa have to take this thing apart and see what kind of crazy wizardry is happening. This is just wierd!

Gadget

Reaction score
My new shifter just arrived.

I put it in the vise and sure enough, that SOB snaps to the center very crisply. This might just be the ticket.

Don't know when I will get a chance to run it in the truck. Soon I hope.

G

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Damn, I'm way closer than you are to them, I figured I'd get mine first. We ordered em a day apart. I haven't even gotten notice of shipping nor have they taken payment. Maybe I should call them.

livinginsa

Reaction score
My new shifter just arrived.

I put it in the vise and sure enough, that SOB snaps to the center very crisply. This might just be the ticket.

Don't know when I will get a chance to run it in the truck. Soon I hope.

G

One problem that may arise from using an aftermarket shifter is the throw.

Most cars that have T56 (Mustangs, Corvettes, Vipers,etc) have their seats between a high tunnel that houses the transmission. This means they only need a very short shifter height. The Xrunner T56 sits much lower, relative to the seating position. This means you need a much longer shift arm.

The shifter will work, but the throws are going to be longer, because the shift arm will need to be longer.

I think I would still do it, if I had the same problem with 3rd gear. The MGW will probably require a custom made shift arm, but the way it is designed, that should be easy to do.

I haven't had the problems that others have had. I would like the stick to be a little shorter, maybe two inches shorter. My arms are longer than some so I don't have the same problems that others have. For me, resting my elbow on the console works great while I shift. I guess everyone is different, and I wish the shifter was a little shorter.

Just wondering if G tried out the new shifter and what he felt about it.

My new slave cylinder went out when TexFest was in Houston; it was defective from the very beginning, and APR replaced the slave cylinder for free. They even cleaned up my battery and sanded the terminal down for free, too.

Just wish the slave cylinder would have been external like on the original Toyota X-Runner transmission rather than internal like on this T56. They had to pull the transmission to replace the slave cylinder.

It made for a really strange drag race. I had to put my foot under the pedal to get the plunger to unstick and raise the pedal up to shift gears. I let someone else try it for the 2nd race to see if the problem was me but he had an average of about 37 mph for the race, lol. We weren't able to race, again, for the night, until we got it fixed. Grumpy took a look at it that night and he thought it was the slave cylinder, too. The cool thing is that I shut up my friend whenever he talks about drag racing because he couldn't even get up to 40 mph, lol.

Mine came with the Hurst shifter, pretty cool.

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
I got the new shifter in today and just got back from a quick test drive.

So far it is the tits.

I do not have it modified to come up through the console properly yet and don't have a knob on it. Just installed it how it comes and it is awesome!!

It loves to find 3rd on its own!!!! No more guessing where 3rd is. Very short and very crisp shifts.

I can tell you that the threads on that lever are damn sharp. Sliced my self good and did not know it. Almost had to call crime scene clean up.

The real test is after the install is complete and I make a run down the 1/4 mile. That is where everything goes to hell if it is going to, but so far, I think we are on to something here.

It is also very quiet as far as I can tell. Does not seem to transmit all that transmission noise up the shaft.

If anyone is going to do the APR T-56 swap and wants a good deal on the APR Short Shifter for it, hit me up.

G

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like MGW may be the way to go

What do you have to do to get it to come through the console correctly?

I wanna get this swap done so bad now

Top Bottom