Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

T56 shifter help/advice needed

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Alright, Gadget should be posting up pics to go with this soon.

Take the stalk to the MGW shifter, and cut it right at the tapered spot where it cuts down in size.

Grind a flat spot on the stalk so the hurst shifter arm can butt up against it. Then drill two holes in the mgw stalk to match up to the hurst arm.

Attach them to each other, put them in a vice, and heat the arm with a torch so you can bend it to whatever position suits you. You'll have to reinstall it a few times as well as the front section of the center console to make sure you have clearance. Turning the orange aluminum adapter towards the front is necessary to help with clearance. When the trans is in 2nd gear, you want at least 3/4" clearance between it and the console around it, otherwise when the boot is installed it will contact and make it not engage 2nd well.

Put shifter boot back in, seal any holes, and put everything back together. Test drive and make sure you're comfortable with where it's at.
I did have to leave the e-brake cable loop bracket loose, and the bottom bolt out of the pass side center console support bracket to clear the hurst shifter boot, but they're fairly uneccesary anyhow.

I think that's it. Any questions feel free to ask.

Gadget

Reaction score
Here are his pictures:

fddc19a3.jpg

b48c92cc.jpg

2db7df35.jpg

2e31ac3f.jpg

0f9d4476.jpg

31421f9c.jpg

41558749.jpg

a55585dd.jpg

96f2c6e9.jpg

57a9c27e.jpg

225cd92b.jpg

9988d7f8.jpg

2010-09-25_18-13-24_312.jpg

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
camaro-short_throw_shifter.jpg

What I think would be a really good idea is to have that copper looking piece made differently. Instead of where it grabs the shifter to make it extend straight up, have where the copper piece clamps to the shifter arm be machined to make the shifter arm be at an angle of 12-20 degrees off from straight up. Basically similar in angle to the factory shift arm.

I hope that makes sense.

I should be getting one pretty soon, so if you are up to it Coupe, I think it would be a good undertaking?

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Just having a new shifter stalk machined that had the proper angles, and same diameter where it mounts would be fairly easy. I would have went that route if I had machine shop access. I may do it later anyhow. If coupe makes one, I'll prolly be up for the purchase, because the more I see how ugly it is, the more I hate what I did, even though it's covered up and functional, I still know it's there.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Think of it as a rough draft. :)

sweetwilliebrownjr

Reaction score
Yeah. I can say I haven't even come close to missing a gear yet though :) mission accomplished on that.

Gadget

Reaction score
That is really good news!!!

G

Gadget

Reaction score
Got my lever on today.

2012-02-03_16-26-25_132.jpg

I cut and extended the aluminum bar thing. Then welded my Couple lever to the MGW rod.

Came out great, but need to redo it and lower the Coupe lever a bit so I can get the Specter boot to sit down further.

Went out for nice test drive. Did not miss shift any gears, but did hang up once going into third.

I would day that the throws are about the same as The APR shifter, but it does seem to find the gears much easier.

G

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Where is the shift ball? How far does your new lever extend upward?

turbomach1

Reaction score
Does anybody know what form is doing a group buy for the arp t56 swap?
Talk to them earlier today day said that there was a form starting another group buy again. I want this for my x runner. Hate this stock transmission.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I would guess customtacos.

to my knowledge they are not a vendor here and cannot do groupbuys...

Top Bottom