Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tailgate spoiler Mod. Low cost!!! dial up beware

Reverend_d

Reaction score
So before anyone does this I hold no responsibility for any damage or screw ups. :stupid:

Ok so I am the type that likes to mod as mush as I can myself. With that said I started doing some research on different spoilers on different trucks. I came up with an oem spoiler off a Dakota that almost fits our truck perfect with just a little cutting. Now those with the weak in stomach dont do this because you need to drill the tailgate.

First this is the picture of the box and the spoiler

DSCN7448.jpg

DSCN7449.jpg

So I test fit the spoiler to see what mods i would have to do to make it fit.

DSCN7450.jpg

Ok so I noticed that there were ridges on the inside that would not let it sit flat. I took a razor blade and shaved them off.

Ridge
DSCN7456.jpg

Ridge gone
DSCN7457.jpg

Once it was fitted in place I looked at what I needed to cut off. In the picture below you will see the gap between the gate and molding.

DSCN7455.jpg

Seeing the area to cut I ran a razor blade underneath and made a line were to cut. The inner line that I am am pointing to is were I am going to cut.

DSCN7464.jpg

Then I took a die grinder and cut it a little longer than I needed

DSCN7465.jpg

After I cut it I smoothed the edge with a DA sander 80grit.

DSCN7466.jpg

Then I put double side tape for the top and stuck it on. You could stop here but you will have four holes were the Dakota OE spoiler would have attached. But I went further.

I marked were the holes go and drilled the holes out to match the holes in the spoiler, so I could insert clips to retain it solid.

DSCN7467.jpg

After all done I put in the clips and donezo. Totally stoke how it cam out.

DSCN7468.jpg

DSCN7469.jpg

DSCN7471.jpg

DSCN7472.jpg

DSCN7473.jpg

DSCN7474.jpg

Moneyblind

Reaction score
Very interesting and very nice customization! Its nice to see some ingenuity :)

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Nice job. Just gotta fill the edge with some kind of black epoxy and smooth it out. :top:
Your thread title said "Low Cost"... so how much? :dontknow:

bombs

"Affliction Guy"
Reaction score
Wow, that is a low cost compared to ours! Great write up, and agreed on the ingenuity. Your truck will stand out at a meet for sure.

Moneyblind

Reaction score
I would like to add...who the HELL uses dialup anymore....does it even exist :p

dramad1

Reaction score
Nice job on the modifications to make it fit. Not my cup of tea but great job. I'd like my spoiler to extend up past the side of the bed a bit at an angle, creating some downward force when driving and not flush like yours appears to be. Don't get me wrong I'm not talking sh!t just giving my opinion on what id want. I think you did a great job taking initiative and modding yourself a Lil spoiler. My question is it even doing anything being flush with the bed? Just curious. Great job again!!

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Very nice job bro!

To the OP, none of the wings you put on these trucks are going to create enough down force to help anything. Unless you running 100+ mph everywhere you.

2012TxNinja

Reaction score
Very nice work. I am one of those who isnt afraid to cut and drill.

2012TxNinja

Reaction score
A lot of people are all about "form and function" but im down with good looks as well. Who cares if if a spoiler on our trucks wont create enough down force. We arent driving porches or lambos here. But adding to our rides already unique look, you have my support man. ( now, I am totally against those fake stick on fender vents I see on a daily basis..hahaha)

Reverend_d

Reaction score
NICE!!! GOOD JOB! where can we get this spoiler from???

call your local dodge dealer and give them the part number that is on the box in the first picture. It is a day out

Very nice mod..... If I may what gave you the idea that it would fit?

I was looking online at different tailgate lengths and from measurement saw that the Dakota was about the same length, the Colorado was too but the dealer wanted a crap load of money for the spoiler. So I decided to attempted this one and figured if it did not work then I only wasted a little money.

Thank you all for the great comments. Hope you all get help from this write up.

Nice job on the modifications to make it fit. Not my cup of tea but great job. I'd like my spoiler to extend up past the side of the bed a bit at an angle, creating some downward force when driving and not flush like yours appears to be. Don't get me wrong I'm not talking sh!t just giving my opinion on what id want. I think you did a great job taking initiative and modding yourself a Lil spoiler. My question is it even doing anything being flush with the bed? Just curious. Great job again!!

Hey no worries, comment are always welcomed. I am glad the people give there opinion it helps me with future mods or redoing a mod. For now I am super stoked on this ... might try different ones down the road now that I know kinda were to start. Thanks again for the positive comments.

Last edited:
Top Bottom