Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

thinking about moving to Oregon!

the rev

Reaction score
howdy y'all! i'm definitely considering moving out to oregon from houston and i've been doing a lot of research of the state! it looks like an awesome place to live with the mountains, beaches, and weather. just a few questions though, i checked out weather reports and it seems like it doesn't snow much at all, is that true? does it rain a lot? and i know there is no sales tax, but how high is the excise tax for registering the X? what is involved in the inspections? is the air quality test just in certain city areas? how pricey is insurance?

sorry for all the questions, but i like to get some good info before i make a big life decision! also, tell me what you like and dislike about oregon, such as the people, weather, road conditions, food, anything and everything!

thanks y'all! :top:

TacoInvader

Reaction score
I had a cousin that lived out there for about a year or so. She said the people kinda kept to themselves and weren't the most friendly. But I can't remember what city they lived in. But needless to say they moved back to Iowa City where they were from.. I'm not saying for sure that is the way it will be for you at all. I know it is a beautiful place to live. I do believe it rains pretty often there.

stretch200

Reaction score
ok, lets see if I can answer some of these questions. Its snows a couple times a year. Mostly around christmas. It rains a good amount but not all year around. late spring to late autumn is normally totally dry. The emissions inspections are pretty strict. But they are only in the bigger cities. I live about 45 minutes from Portland and Salem and where I am, I don't have any emissions standards to live up to. So it depends on where you live in Oregon.
Insurance for me was cheaper here in Oregon than it was for me in Los Angeles.

I love Oregon. The people aren't overly friendly but they are all really nice. You don't get any fingers or rude comments. The freeways are in good condition and there are TONS of twisty roads around here. People drive a little slow on the road but you can always go around them. :biggrin:

I don't know if you are interested in this, but its easier to make money up here than in Los Angeles. At least for me. :rock:
If you want to know anything else, just ask.

dermaestro

Reaction score
Eugene is a cool town, so is Ashland. Both are college towns. Portland is supposed to be really neat, but I've only been through their airport.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
well I can answer a few questionsa if you need also I am pretty sure that the only city that has emmisions is portland it does snow a few times a year and like stretch said ppl are cool but drive to slow I was born and raised in SoCal so it was a big change for me to move to oregon but the air is fresh and there are a bunch of fun roads and not alot of cops in the country

the rev

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your answers and opinions! seems like oregon is a pretty chill place to live...cant wait to get out there!

Top Bottom