Toyota Economic Loss Settlement Admin

Discussion in 'Recalls & Updates' started by BSP06XRU, Dec 8, 2014.

1. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

I just got a check in the mail today from:

Toyota Economic Loss Settlement Administrator
    c/o Gilardi & Co. LLC

They sent me a whole $29.23 from the class settlement administrator in
    re: Toyota Motor Corp. Unintended Acceleration Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation.

Woo hoo! About 2/3 of a tank of gas! :top:

If this in the wrong section, mods, please move it to where it needs to be...

2. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Interesting......time to check the mail.

3. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

I got my check a couple days ago, same amount, been meaning to look I into it. Wonder if I cash it, Toyota is no longer liable for the truck doing something I didn't ask it to. Anyone look into this any further?

4. shane881510

shane881510 Member

Me too. I was affaid to cash it might be a scam. Someone might want to still ur bank info and have a good Christmas.

5. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

It's legit but after looking for more information, when you sign the check and cash it, you revoke your opportunity to sue Toyota for you Tacoma suddenly accelerating on its own accord.

6. shane881510

shane881510 Member

Well I frigured it was a fake. I got my bank account hacked last christmas didn't want it to happen again... i dont believe I'll be cashing that check then.

7. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

If your worried about a bank account hack why not take it to one of those shady check cashing joints? Let me take 20% or whatever their premium is and take the money.... Better than nothing and don't have to deposit through your account... I mean it was already mailed to you, they know your address and what car you drive... If they were trying to steal more info it would prob be done by now...

8. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan Member

I "love" class action lawsuits. They are such a scam. People get very little benefit of payment, while the legal firm that initiates it typically keeps 30-50% of the settlement. $29 is actually a pretty high payout. I once got $1 as my settlement share.

Anyhow, has anyone actually filled out any legal documentation and explicitly stated they wanted to be included in the suit? I do not think anyone can just send a settlement share. There has to be written participation consent, various notices about status of the lawsuit, option to appear at the hearings, etc. Otherwise did they just do it for every Toyota owner in the United States?

9. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

I have one even better, got a settlement for T-Mobile that was 1 cent, the postage was way more than that, what an absolute waste of money that was :laugh:

I didn't file anything and got one, I have had two Tacoma's too, maybe I should get two checks :laugh:

10. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

Is everyone receiving a check for this?

11. BigFatDogEatingPizza

12. KrazyIvan

KrazyIvan Member

Good article. Yeah, the system sucks. I want to say in class action lawsuits there is a minimum percentage of the reward that's kept by attorneys + fees + expenses? Regardless, it is a frag load. That's why they are always looking for new "victims" to initiate these suits.

13. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

We, as consumers get $29.23 ea.

Considering 3.25 million cars were affected, that's about $95 million in payouts.
    Not including all the other stuff in the lawsuit that Toyota agreed to do.

I'm surprised that we got this much!