Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Toyota Floor mat RECALL & TEMP FIX

BSNA-Dark-Angel

I'm a girl!!!
Reaction score
IDK I have a hard time taking out the weather mats with the hooks im em'.... I think this is only for the other mats:hmmmm2:

X-Pablo

Reaction score
I just left my mats in place, untouched, I have Velcro (sorry, Hook & Loop) tabs on the edges underneath my mats that seem to hold the mats in place.

So i'm not doing anything unless I get new mats from Toyota or the Dealer.

DemonXrunner

Reaction score
So let me ask... Correct me if I am wrong, but this is for the floor mats only right? Cause when I bought my truck the previews owner made a hole in the actual floor carpet with his or her foot and then glued a cheap mat on top of it.

I got my notice in the mail today as well, but didnt get a chance to read through it.

X-Pablo

Reaction score
Yes the recall was for mats only, as some mats got jammed in by the pedals and caused accidents some of them fatal. I dunno about you but if my gas pedal is jammed stuck on and I'm crusing first thing I would do is drop it into Neutral and hit the e-brake, I may blow the engine, but at least I can stop and not kill anyone.

I agree with people being unhappy with zip straps, I too paid over $25+k for my X-Runner brand new i've had it for less than a year and zip strapping mats to the carpet is unacceptable and a mickey mouse cheap way to do it.

Toyota should give everybody new mats but of course it's going to cost $$$ them way more than a couple of plastic zip straps.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Toyota is doing its part in regards to natural selection I see.

Dumb asses by the masses.

Last edited:

TRD-X

Reaction score
Any updates on this other than the zip's?:hmmmm2:

2006nightrider

Reaction score
The whole floor mat recall issue isn't really so much for your factory floor mats, it's for the people that put other mats on top of the factory mats. If you clip in your factory mats, they're not going anywhere...but some people feel the need to put 1 or 2 more layers of mats on top of the factory ones; and this is what's causing the mats to slide forward and get stuck behind the gas & brake pedals.

But Toyota immediately took the initiative to announce the danger (unlike Ford with there tire recall many years back), and issued a recall -- when in fact, it wasn't really Toyota's mats that were life threatening. Look how the media DESTROYED Fords reputation at that point, blaming them for deaths and saying they did nothing to prevent it. So Toyota announced this 'Temp Fix' almost as a way to calm the media and save their reputation...and showing the public that they are doing something about it.

Every customer that brings their car in for the recall gets zip ties, and if they have other mats on top of the factory mats, we are forced to take them out and place them in the trunk. The customer CAN NOT leave our dealership with any other mats on the floor board, other then the ones that are zip tied.

The customer can still pull over as soon as they leave and put the other mats back on top, but we are not allowed to let them leave with that setup...and if they want to put themselves in danger again by putting them back in, then that's on them.

Any updates on this other than the zip's?:hmmmm2:
Nope...no other word yet. And to be honest, I don't see Toyota announcing anything different in the near future.

I think what they are going to do is use this 'Temp Fix' for the current models that are available at dealerships now...and change how the floor mats lock into place on next years models...but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

TRD-X

Reaction score
The whole floor mat recall issue isn't really so much for your factory floor mats, it for the people that put other mats on top of the factory mats. If you clip in your factory mats, they're not going anywhere...but some people feel the need to put 1 or 2 more layers of mats on top of the factory ones; and this is what's causing the mats to slide forward and get stuck behind the gas & brake pedals.

But Toyota immediately took the initiative to announce the danger (unlike Ford with there tire recall many years back), and issued a recall -- when in fact, it wasn't really Toyota's mats that were life threatening. Every customer that brings their car in for the recall gets zip ties, and if they have other mats on top of the factory mats, we are forced to take them out and place them in the trunk. The customer CAN NOT leave our dealership with any other mats on the floor board, other then the ones that are zip tied.

The customer can still pull over as soon as they leave and put the other mats back on top, but we are not allowed to let them leave with that setup...and if they want to put them selves in danger again, then that's on them.

Nope...no other word yet. And to be honest, I don't see Toyota announcing anything different in the near future.

I think what they are going to do is use this 'Temp Fix' for the current models that are available at dealerships now...and change how the floor mats lock into place on next years models...but that's just my opinion.
Hey Cuz it would be nice to get some free floor mats! You know if a fool can cause a problem and I get new mats it's all good.:top:

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
I have some nice HVM floor mats that don't move at all :smile:

I have my OEM ones upside down on top of those and they have slid under the clutch but never interfered with the gas/brake. Nobody at the vehicle storage place could figure out how to start my truck b/c the mat had slid under the clutch causing it to not engage the switch. Lucky for me, they were too dumb to figure it out, so they didn't add any unnecessary miles on my truck. They just pushed it wherever they needed it to go :hahaha:

2006nightrider

Reaction score
I have my OEM ones upside down on top of those and they have slid under the clutch but never interfered with the gas/brake.
x2...my truck was the same way. About every 2-3 days, I would have to lean forward and pull my mat back from behind my clutch pedal.

TRD-X

Reaction score
I have the Toyota all weather mats and that's all, the only problem I have is the Toyota mats show wear quick.

Reaction score
I have the Toyota all weather mats and that's all, the only problem I have is the Toyota mats show wear quick.

yea i have the all weather ones and i work construction so my boots had eaten a hole in the mat so i had to buy a brand new set, that sucked:thumpdown:

2006nightrider

Reaction score
We received our first batch of cars from Toyota today that ALREADY had a temp fix installed (without zip ties:biggrin:). As of right now, this is how ALL the vehicles included in this recall are going to arrive at the dealerships until a permanent fix is announced...

You will notice the 'Caution' label, as well as the little plastic piece that it tethered to the factory floorboard carpet:

floormat-1.jpg

floormat1-1.jpg

floormat2-1.jpg

TRD-X

Reaction score
Thats stupid how do you clean the carpet? Some big fix! :dontknow:

2006nightrider

Reaction score
True...but it beats having tacky ass zip ties jammed through your mat and wrapped around the seat:laugh:

TRD-X

Reaction score
I think the hole thing is stupid! Toyota has used the same kind of floor mats for years. And no zip's on my mats.:top: Hey David how is chevy and ford going to deal with their mats?

Top Bottom