Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tranny and diff fluid

deanbhula1

Reaction score
so i just got 2 quarts of redline mt90 to change the tranny fluid but i was wondering whether to get redline 75w85 or the amsoil 75w90 for the diff?

what opinions do u guys have?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Both are good get what you want. Both are quality, I went with redline in the diff and trans

Annnd 75w90 is recommended for the diff, so if you go redline get 75w90 gear oil and it already has aditive in it for LSD

Last edited:

deanbhula1

Reaction score
I read that it calls for 75w85...I dont think 75w90 will really be much thicker thou.

sohc4now

Reaction score
Just buy 6 quarts of Amsoil 75-90 severe gear , return the other stuff, and enjoy.

Workman3886

Reaction score
bigdreams said:
Same product works in both transmission and rear diff and 6 quarts takes care of both parts?

That's what I did, it's pricey but worth it, your transmission will feel 100X better!

bigdreams

Reaction score
What kind of long-term tests have been done using the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 in both trans and rear diff? My concern is that they're two different types of components of the drivetrain

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
What kind of long-term tests have been done using the Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 in both trans and rear diff? My concern is that they're two different types of components of the drivetrain

The amsoil page linked above shows it can be used in both the trans and the diff. If you are worried about it then put the amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT) in the trans and run the severe gear 75w-90 in the diff only.

bigdreams

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Well I've already done the fluid swap and it feels fine for now. Definitely a big difference over the stock fluids. But if it feels like it isn't shifting right or anything out of the ordinary, then I'll swap over to the other fluid

PAXR

Reaction score
I would not run severe gear in the tranny. Run MTG in the tranny. The severe gear does not specify that it is yellow metal safe, MTG does. Severe gear is also a gl4/5. The tranny manufacturer specifies gl4 only, again because of our yellow metal syncros.

Do your own research, but that is what you will find. Commodore drivers have been dealing with our tranny too, amsoil MTG is the cure. The MTG goes into improved syncro action, tranny specific oil, and most importantly being yellow metal compatible.

Severe gear makes no mention of syncro operation and is not yellow metal safe. Any gl5 rated oil will eat the syncros.

Severe gear should only be used in axles. This is not good for our tranny. You have been informed.

bigdreams

Reaction score
Yikes! That doesn't sound good at all! How many miles does it take for it to destroy the gears in the transmission? I don't think I can afford to get more fluid until next payday

PAXR

Reaction score
Not sure. But evereyone else and every other manufacturer with the aisin ay6 has caught onto the reason of our tranny failures. The cause generally starts with syncro corrosion, syncros not meshing, and eventually gear wear.

A lot of guys on here need to read this and understand why the gl4 rating for our tranny oil is so important. You can not run a gl4/5 or a gl5 in our trans. Some on here will argue this to the death. Look at some Chevy, cadillac, and Commodore forums. They use our tranny too. You will learn how important the correct oil is in the tranny.

Everyone has their own ideas of what feels better or makes it last longer. Bottom line is the science behind it point to everything that amsoil MTG preaches.

Top Bottom