Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TRD Tailgate spoiler maybe coming soon ( I hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Well the title says it all. I have been lucky enough to get my hands on a TRD spoiler a couple weeks ago. here is the story. I work at a Toyota dealership first of all. one day walking around to get some of the trade ins to UVI. I found a TRD sport with a like new TRD spoiler on it.:biggrin: well I toke it off and kept it. :blurock: I have a buddy that works in machine shop that just got a new toy a laser cnc machine that can take 3D images of things and reproduce them. well we have done two so fare and all is well right now but the down fall is that they made out of aluminum . I am tride to take one to a molding shop here just out side of town to see about getting some made of plastic . they want $500 just to make the mold and then about $35 per unit made, min of 500 units. prob not ganna happen. so iv went back to my buddy at the machine shop to see if we can make them out of plastic if i buy the bit to cut them and the plastic block. :biggrin: it worked great. I the bit was $350 and the blocks of plastic cost around $80 and about three hours ( $79an hour) on a cnc so cost is about $350 apiece . so Right now we are working on taking the 3D image and turing it inside out to make a mold of our own. I hope it works out .

I havent said anything about it b/c i didnt want to screw my self with telling everyone that i have some spoiler.
but now i can safely say there coming soon as long as cost stays down. We will know some time next week.
Iv got around $1000 invested in this right now. I hope to be able to sell them around $450 apiece . If your wanting one let me know here so that I can get a idea on how many I need. so I can get the material . I will only be able to make so many b/c the mold will only make a few . Hoping around 75 to 100. the mold is going to cost me $300 to make if it works out. if it does i will be ordering a carbon composite plastic similar to what the beds are made of.
It comes in a large 50 galling barrel and when pored in the mold a catalyst hardener is added to form the spoiler .
it has to set for 8 hours to harden . Then some trimming and drilling to finnish up. So I will be able to make a couple a weekend.

I will posting pics next week here.

JFrame

Reaction score
Excitement pending proof. Hope you are able to get these into full production for a little while. I know there have been several before you that have tried.

EDIT: And way to step up for such a desired product. Could have easily just slapped the original you have on your truck and call it a day.

dramad1

Reaction score
Sounds cool, how much for an all aluminum one?

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
awesome to see ppl tacklin this project many have tried

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
i hope so too. i dont care what it id made of as long as it looks good

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
You'd have to be a vendor on here to sell these the way your talkin. Also there is a vendor on here already that is in the works of making some of these.

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
well this week end didnt work out the air temp was to cold I think. it just wouldnt set up. I think we are going to try a diff material too. The plastic really needs heat to set up right. we are going to try agin at work tomorrow and put in the paint booth while we bake a car after paint and see if that works. If not well may have to find some thing else , Iv talked to company today thats in ohio that can make it out of carbon fiber with all the info I have and image work we have done, but thay wont to change the design some so it can be legal . so may be if there is a group buy maybe we can go that way. if you guys have some ideas on some material to use in a mold let me know. im up for any thing.

I also thinking of making one out of some kind of fiber glass but it would just be the look it from the out side it wouldnt have the detail .

whitebeaty im not doing this for PROFIT just to see if I can do it. and share it with the other guys so they can do it to. Im not here to make a living out of it. Im just some dud doing this out of his condo garage and a friends shop.

JiNsEiGaNaI

Reaction score
well if u could make it fit on a "Undercover" brand tonneu cover, id be down

joseriverasg

Reaction score
hell yeah count me in i have been looking for one for about a year now pm me for my info if needed!!!

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Update : tried to make another today out of a plastic bonding agent. The same stuff we use to glue body panels on vehicles. One of the supply store here was able to get me a gallon bucket of the stuff. when it sets its rock hard and black. Ya not a good idea ( Thanks rob ) We cant get out of the mold . The top came off great but the lower half wont come out at all we may have to brake the mold to get it out. It looks great though i think we may be on to something here if we can get it out. and it doent coast that much ether.

I have gotting a few peeps at work involved in this lil project of min including the owners son . He said his dad is on the board of Toyota for the cincinnati regain and will see about getting something done about this B/c its a popular item thats asked about at the parts counter Top 10 really for tacoma acceries .
( dont hold your breath )

Bad news though i heard today that next year will be the last year for the tacoma . Then some new truck will come out like the Hulix i hope.we will see ill let you know if I hear some thing.

dramad1

Reaction score
I heard about a Toyota concept car called the me.we, new electric car that may come into production. Looks kinda like a Mini Cooper but not really. Quick pic

Attachments

• image-1841087487.jpg
    image-1841087487.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 104

baghramdunks

Reaction score
I also heard the 2013 will be the last model year the X is going to made from. After that the Tacoma line will get a redesign. I guess the new generation of the X will come a couple of years after the redesign I guess.

Anyhow, any update on this as of yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom