Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Truck Alarm Help???

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Have 2013 tacoma with factory alarm and I'm looking to add remote start. I prefer Viper brand with the LCD remotes. I am not sure what I need to buy to make it work with factory alarm or do I need to disconnect it and do a full remote start alarm. I am looking for professional installer help preferred. No backyard done it once responses.

Please keep it on topic.

Faster response to me is here and Facebook is preferred I get there a lot more. My Facebook is Mike Meynier, Metairie, LA is where I'm from. ( it's a pic of me in a saints jersey.

justin13703

Reaction score
There really is no way to add remote start to the factory system. Some vehicles now have the capability to do it, but toyotas don't. Mostly chryslers. We added a remote start to my roommate's jeep with factory keyless entry, all it took was a 40 dollar box and 3 wire connections, and he had remote start. It was pretty cool.

The options you have, are to add a separate remote start system to your factory alarm. This is the cheapest way, but will require you to have a second remote and still only uses whatever features the factory alarm has.

Second would be like you said to ditch the entire factory system and go with a new remote start/alarm system. This is more expensive but you will only need one remote and the viper systems have tons of features and stuff over the factory system.

I have the viper 5704 remote start/alarm system, and the smart start module so I can use my phone as the remote, and I couldn't be happier with it. I will tell you though, I am an MECP certified installer, and it was not fun to install. Between the alarm brain, the immobilizer bypass, and the smart start module, there's a lot of stuff to fit up under your dash, a LOT of wires and relays to run and connect with, and a lot of programming to get it all to work right. But it was definitely worth it.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I was thinking of the 5700 series systems with the remote start. I don't think I'll get the smart start feature since it's a monthly charge not sure I want to pay. That's why I cancelled my xm radio. But I agree it's a lot of work and prolly won't attempt on my own. I have buddy who has a installer so I'll prolly get him to do that when I get my box done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

justin13703

Reaction score
I was thinking of the 5700 series systems with the remote start. I don't think I'll get the smart start feature since it's a monthly charge not sure I want to pay. That's why I cancelled my xm radio. But I agree it's a lot of work and prolly won't attempt on my own. I have buddy who has a installer so I'll prolly get him to do that when I get my box done.

I think last time I paid mine it was 50 a year. Same as xbox live. Worth it if you ever lock your keys in your truck lol

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I think last time I paid mine it was 50 a year. Same as xbox live. Worth it if you ever lock your keys in your truck lol
You right if it's 50/yr that not bad. Anything more might be a little much. It's cool that you can so it from anywhere with cell service you at

justin13703

Reaction score
Well with or without the smartstart the 5704 is a good system. I've never had any issues with mine. Just make sure you get the right immobilizer and if you don't know how to program it make sure you take it somewhere ahead of time and get it done. Usually you have to install the software for your truck before you put it in the vehicle, then once it's in there you have to program it to your key.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Well with or without the smartstart the 5704 is a good system. I've never had any issues with mine. Just make sure you get the right immobilizer and if you don't know how to program it make sure you take it somewhere ahead of time and get it done. Usually you have to install the software for your truck before you put it in the vehicle, then once it's in there you have to program it to your key.
I plan on getting my buddy do it for me when we doing the box for my truck too

SIGHTWAVES

Reaction score
viper is good we do alot of them the thing to remember is u have to wire it so the viper alarm also disarmed the factory anti theft option on the truck and u will have to do a clutch bypass and not really recommended to do but can be done just make sure u dont leave it in gear because it will drive off on you

justin13703

Reaction score
viper is good we do alot of them the thing to remember is u have to wire it so the viper alarm also disarmed the factory anti theft option on the truck and u will have to do a clutch bypass and not really recommended to do but can be done just make sure u dont leave it in gear because it will drive off on you

If you get a good remote start with a manual transmission mode you won't have to bypass the clutch and they're set up so there's no way you can remote start it in gear.

Top Bottom