Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Undercoating? Do you have it Would you Get it?

Should I get the undercarriage undercoated for winter?

• Yes undercoat that beast!

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Naw... Buy a continuum transfunctioner instead.

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Well as some of you know up here in the NorthEast they coat the roads with a ridiculous amount of salt in the winter. This is my XR's first winter up here so I have been toying with the idea of rubberized undercoating. I just don't want my XR to get the notorious taco frame rot.

Is this a good idea? Or is there a disadvantage to the undercoating?

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Well as some of you know up here in the NorthEast they coat the roads with a ridiculous amount of salt in the winter. This is my XR's first winter up here so I have been toying with the idea of rubberized undercoating. I just don't want my XR to get the notorious taco frame rot.

Is this a good idea? Or is there a disadvantage to the undercoating?

it all depends on what kind you get. if you use the stuff they use with the sealing packages it works fine. the stuff from pepboys just makes a mess and if you get it on your exhaust , it will smell like ass

Just clean under your truck when you wash it. ( find an undercarriage wash)

Justin

2006nightrider

Reaction score
it all depends on what kind you get. if you use the stuff they use with the sealing packages it works fine. the stuff from pepboys just makes a mess and if you get it on your exhaust , it will smell like ass

Just clean under your truck when you wash it. ( find an undercarriage wash)

Justin
Exactly...Go to a local Toyota Dealership and have them undercoat it for you. We charge between $150.00-250.00; depending on the size of the vehicle. Like Justin said, if you get the cheap crap out of a spray can or something like that from the store, your wasting your time and money...that crap sucks.

The undercoating at the dealership is thick rubberized coating; almost like a spray-in bedliner material. We do about 15 undercoatings a week here, so far, no complaints:top: ...And it also helps with road noise by the way.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Got the Ziebart undercoating/Sound deadener package. Really takes the road noise down

XRYDER

Reaction score
If i drove the X in the winter i would consider it. As a mechanic, i'm not a big fan of undercoating. The crap gets all over my tools and is hard to get off. Plus it can be harder to get a wrench or socket on some bolts because of the thickness. If you don't wrench on your truck than you don't have to worry about it. Even if you get the undercoating i would still rinse underneath the truck often.

JacksonJ

Reaction score
I got it done as part of the package from the dealer, my last car I never got it done and in 5 years it was rusting out. The Canadian winters are rough for all vehicles although they started a new technique last year of mixing water and salt and spraying that down. Apparently they can use less salt and it acts faster.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I may have to look into this also. I have had my x through 2 winters, soon to be a 3rd and it is getting some rust.
Is there any problems with coating over rust that is already there?

JacksonJ

Reaction score
I think that will be just like painting over the rust. May help slow it down, but the rust is still there.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
It came on my truck as part of the toyo-guard package that was installed. I have no complaints on it... no rust, so i guess it's doing what it's suppose to. :laugh:

07SWB

Reaction score
ahh the beauty of living in Southern California.. no snow and never rust, unless you have crappy paint and live by the beach..

Dent Guy

Reaction score
i would never cover rust...........it will come back......

as for an undercoat i dunno. does it really work?????? in theory yes it should. but time will tell. The xr is only really 3 yrs. old. If you are rusting out right now........wow.........im sorry,,

thunderkat1

Reaction score
I got mine done from the dealer when I bought the truck. They gave me a 10yr warranty on the body. I'm happy with that.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
i would never cover rust...........it will come back......

as for an undercoat i dunno. does it really work?????? in theory yes it should. but time will tell. The xr is only really 3 yrs. old. If you are rusting out right now........wow.........im sorry,,

I am not rusting but would rather prevent it. You can coat rust in POR, that **** stops it. Ive used it on rusty crap first hand and it has succeeded.

GSX-Runner

Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing this. I've been hitting the touchless carwash/underbody wash 2 times a week for the last 2 months. :motz:

Top Bottom