Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

URD TCAI Concerns

daveczrn

Reaction score
the hood scoop won't work the way a real hood scoop would. It's not high enough off of the hood so it has a negitive preasure ... although some air would go in there... Dirt accumulation would be much worse.. trust me i had a ram air hood on my dakota with the opening alowing air in the engine compartment... it really got the engine dirty.

46&2_X

Reaction score
One more of the speculative post from a non URD TCAI owner!!!! LOL
You really should for the fun of it open your hood scoop. and watch how much more dirty you engine bay gets. I bet your biggest gain will be the dirt accumulation!
LOL
buy the TRD because the URD TCAI doesn't sound like it's for you

I guess I needed to add, that you need to hook up an intake tube to it.

Otherwise, yes it will just make your engine dirtier.

But I thought it would go without saying since we were talking about intakes.

Without running tubing to the hoodscoop, you might as well just take your hood off. It would have the same effect as just opening up the hood.

But your right, the URD intake isn't for me. I want a true ram air intake.:rockon:

the hood scoop won't work the way a real hood scoop would. It's not high enough off of the hood so it has a negitive preasure ... although some air would go in there... Dirt accumulation would be much worse.. trust me i had a ram air hood on my dakota with the opening alowing air in the engine compartment... it really got the engine dirty.

Huh? Negative pressure? You mean it would force air out? :bird: Oh wait, I forgot that would be positive pressure. Negative pressure is a vacum, which means it sucks air in.

Which explains why you had dirt on your engine.

Ok, if you had a true ram air hood on your Dodge, it would be connected to something to shove that air through your intake, and filter. Thereby negating your problem of a dirty engine.

True ram air intakes shove air into the intake and nowhere else. Otherwise you don't see all the benifet of having it because too much air will just flow past your intake.

The fact that more dirt gets into your engine bay only proves that if hooked up to an intake it would force air into your intake.

That is why all intakes have filters on them. To prevent dirt from getting into your engine.

Last edited:

Tapp

Reaction score
its up to you at the end.

But when i was running the URD TCAI, i ran into a few issues. i went through an auto car wash, and i will never do that again. truck ran funny driving it home until it dried out. and another incident was i driving to the mountain in a bad storm, and my check engine light came on, and the Truck would not run right at all, Maf sensor was getting wet!!! and then once i went S/C the intake became a real PITA!!:thumpdown:

DallasCowboys

Banned
Reaction score
I remember Gadget posting that there are only two incidents where water breached the URD intake and they were both related to the seal on the MAF itself
I believe one of those was me last March. I was driving down the highway and through a record rain (it was a record for most rain in one day in the DFW area) storm and hit a deep water puddle on the freeway and water breached the seal on the MAF. By wrapping it with plastic I have not had any more issues and it is stronger than ever. THIS IS THE BEST OUT THERE!!!! :top:

rich017

Reaction score
I have had one or 2 incidents with rain. It would stall out for a second when I would down shift and hit higher RPM's. It was not a problem at all though:top:

Bobby B

Reaction score
You might like the Volant intake they have some sort of ram intake option for there CAI

I guess I needed to add, that you need to hook up an intake tube to it.

Otherwise, yes it will just make your engine dirtier.

But I thought it would go without saying since we were talking about intakes.

Without running tubing to the hoodscoop, you might as well just take your hood off. It would have the same effect as just opening up the hood.

But your right, the URD intake isn't for me. I want a true ram air intake.:rockon:

Huh? Negative pressure? You mean it would force air out? :bird: Oh wait, I forgot that would be positive pressure. Negative pressure is a vacum, which means it sucks air in.

Which explains why you had dirt on your engine.

Ok, if you had a true ram air hood on your Dodge, it would be connected to something to shove that air through your intake, and filter. Thereby negating your problem of a dirty engine.

True ram air intakes shove air into the intake and nowhere else. Otherwise you don't see all the benifet of having it because too much air will just flow past your intake.

The fact that more dirt gets into your engine bay only proves that if hooked up to an intake it would force air into your intake.

That is why all intakes have filters on them. To prevent dirt from getting into your engine.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
You might like the Volant intake they have some sort of ram intake option for there CAI

http://volant.com/pdetail.asp?ID=460

38640.jpg

You have to buy the scoop separate, it runs around $150-$200.

rich017

Reaction score
But with the Volant, you actually loose hp. This was proven by gadget and the Maf cal will straiten it all out

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
But with the Volant, you actually loose hp. This was proven by gadget and the Maf cal will straiten it all out

That just the intake itself you lose power with, or the scoop you lose power with?

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
That just the intake itself you lose power with, or the scoop you lose power with?

Both, it makes ur engine run rich.

06ATLBSP has the same intake, his truck didn't run that good until he had Gadget install the MAF cal...now it runs much better :top:

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Both, it makes ur engine run rich.

06ATLBSP has the same intake, his truck didn't run that good until he had Gadget install the MAF cal...now it runs much better :top:

Ah. I would be curious to see the gains on a Volant Intake, scoop, and maf cal.

46&2_X

Reaction score
http://volant.com/pdetail.asp?ID=460

38640.jpg

You have to buy the scoop separate, it runs around $150-$200.

Interesting idea, of course I don't know how much of a ram air effect it will have hiding behing the lip of the hood.

But still not a bad idea considering you don't need to make any major modifcations.

I've decided I'm going to build something myself. I'm gonna get a TRD intake then the G/F and I will figure something out. She used to do composite repair, so she's a whizz with the Carbon and the Fiberglass.

But by the time that happens it'll be winter and time to garage it for the most part anyways.

rich017

Reaction score
the volant with or without the scoop will cause your truck to run very rich. Without the MAF I think there was a DROP of 10hp

Top Bottom