Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Very interesting - Peak power or average power

hiflyer

Reaction score
average power all the way!

you have to get from 1500 to 4000 rpm anyway
so if you have a flatter curve, you're always in teh power...

if your racing, and can keep your revs up, then yeah - peak all the way

ddongbap

Reaction score
Depends on your driving style. I remember when I bent my exuast to create one hell of a backpressure situation, my bottom end was pretty beefy, though I lost most of my top end.

Well anyways, the "false god" isn't really a false one. Different engines create power differently. An American V8 creates lobs of power low-mid range. A high revving BMW M engine, or a Honda engine creates power way up in the RPM band. You need to tune the engine for exactly that, power in the high end. Trying to create low end power on high compression engines isn't worth it. Its actually kind of stupid. People say that there is no replacement for displacement, but displacement can't rev high. And high revving is the perfect recipe for racing. BMW has been doing it for years. Unless you're telling me BMW has been doing it wrong for the longest time.

Last edited:

XPC_XR

Reaction score
I prefer more power in the mid range, I dont race so no need to be up in the reline area much.

ddongbap- You left out the 2ZZ Toyota engine, it makes power up near the top of its RPMs when Lift kicks in. ;)

CBRBob

Reaction score
A few years ago I took two of my bikes to be dyno tuned. One was my streetbike, CBR1100(1137cc), the other was my ravebike CBR929(929cc).

The 929 was tuned 1st, making 150hp at the wheel, basically climbing all the way, peaking just prior to redline, then dropping off. It had degreed race cams in it.

The 1100 was next. The peak was 1,500 before redline but was a very broad peak with lots of area under the curve. Lo and behold, 150hp as well. 200cc less, same peak but it came in sooner.

Result, the tune of the cams/f.i. was perfect. The power on the streetbike was early and all over. The power on the racebike was up high for less torque in the midrange(too much torque in the mid while leaned over is a recipie for a slide/crash.

So yes, the tune of the engine depends on what you use it for. Our trucks weigh a bit so they need power everywhere, not just peak.

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
I read most of the article, but did not see anything about a Small-Displacement engine. So it seems they are only talken about V8's and such.

For me, I like Mid-High Power since my MR2 now can safely rev to 8k. It makes the T67 so much more enjoyable since I can hold it 750rpms more.

Top Bottom