Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WA to CA Roadtrip. Safe??

XR-Franciscoo

Reaction score
I have Driven From San Diego to Seattle and from Seattle to San Diego many times. Except this time... It will be in late December. I never driven in Snow.The only part I'm worried is the mountains in I-5 in Oregon. Will the X make it through safely... I'm probably going to have 300 lbs or more on the bed of the truck. Please let me know if there is an alternate route. maybe HWY 101? I appreciate anyones Help. Thanks.

THE MACF

Reaction score
I would stick with I-5. I made that trip down to Sacremento and Grants Pass both in the winter. Once in a 95 Accord and the other in 86 Volvo wagon. Both times were fine. That is a major highway and DOT is pretty good at keeping it clear.

If not, get some extra weight and go slow. :top:

46&2_X

Reaction score
Yep, stick to the most main and often used roads you can :top:. They clear those first.

From what I've heard the stock tires suck bawls in the snow or ice.

If you can afford it, snow tires would be a great idea.

But I would think if you stay behind a Semi and take it easy it shouldn't be a problem. :dontknow:

Vince77

Reaction score
You could always get some chains just in case. I used snow cables on my truck but it didn't go well. A cable broke and scratched the chit out of the side of my truck. :thumpdown: So I'd go with chains if you have to use anything.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Yep, stick to the most main and often used roads you can :top:. They clear those first.

X2........

Owen20Starsky2020Hutch20Signature20.jpg

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
i purchased my BSP 4x4 in 06' from mcminneville toyota on october 16 2005...:biggrin: no sales tax in oregon...:top: I drove my truck down to vegas on the I-95: mcminnville, oregon: 45 min. north of portland, portland to roseville, sacramento: 9.5 hrs, sacramento to reno: 2hrs, reno to las vegas: 6.5hrs. all in all the road trip was fun and easy. well worth the drive IMO because of the awesome scenary plus its all down hill...:biggrin: I suggest sticking to main highways because that's where the snow plowers will be and + you got gas stations, rest stops, hotel/motels...always necessary to have those around especially when you get tired...:biggrin:

I have made the trip 2 from vegas to washington...a really fun drive. I wasn't in a rush so got to hit up a couple a ski resorts going and coming on the way back...:top:

RedXr

Reaction score
I have Driven From San Diego to Seattle and from Seattle to San Diego many times. Except this time... It will be in late December. I never driven in Snow.The only part I'm worried is the mountains in I-5 in Oregon. Will the X make it through safely... I'm probably going to have 300 lbs or more on the bed of the truck. Please let me know if there is an alternate route. maybe HWY 101? I appreciate anyones Help. Thanks.

Hey dude. You will make it with chains, they suck, but they will get you through the rogue valley. Usually at that time of the year sexton pass is usually not that bad of conditions, its the siskiyous that you'll need to worry about (out of ashland). In late december we have miles and miles of semi's stopped on the freeway chaining up, it gets pretty bad.

If you wanna hit me up when it gets closer to your journey, ill give you a hand or we have an extra room!:top::laugh:

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
How about you drive your ass down to Tacoma and hang out with us once before you leave asshat? :biggrin: Good luck on the drive. :top:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
RJDoute: what up bro...don't know if you snowboard/ski but I will be heading up to washington either november or january. got a photo shoot and film session up at or near THE SUMMIT AT SNOQUALMIE...

I will be dropping you a line when the time nears for the trip...:biggrin:

THE MACF

Reaction score
RJDoute: what up bro...don't know if you snowboard/ski but I will be heading up to washington either november or january. got a photo shoot and film session up at or near THE SUMMIT AT SNOQUALMIE...

I will be dropping you a line when the time nears for the trip...:biggrin:

Must be nice. I really miss Washington smetimes.

blueblazeracer

Reaction score
yep stockers suck ass is the snow best get some chains or get a set of winter tires for the back. Ive gotten stuck once in the snow on a hill. very very bad. i coulnt turn around on the narrow road and i had to stay in the truck and hold my foot on the brake because it started sliding with the parking brake on. needed all four just to keep me still untill help came and spun me around.

T0LLPHR33 be sure to hit me up when you come up. i cant wait to get my board ready for this winter. and snowqualmie is my favorite because it is cheap:biggrin:

XR-Franciscoo

Reaction score
Hell yeah. I got time off this Weekend let me know if anything is going on this Weekend. :top:
How about you drive your ass down to Tacoma and hang out with us once before you leave asshat? :biggrin: Good luck on the drive. :top:

FoxDavis

XRU Overdosed
Reaction score
I have driving in the snow up at Mt. Hood where it was hella thick. I got chains and I was good to go. Scared as ever because I was getting a clank from the loose end of the chain even though I tied it up. I was able to stop and check it out and nothing was hitting and still have no idea where the sound was coming from. But from stopping and checking it out I was able to really know how the truck did in heavy snow. Chains at les schwab around 65 bucks. You should be good that time of year.

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
Drop a line when you pass thru Manteca or Lathrop is actually at the freeway. Long rides are cool...:top:

XR-Franciscoo

Reaction score
Last time I drove through there because I took the HWY 99 instead of the Five. I stopped and Fueled.
Drop a line when you pass thru Manteca or Lathrop is actually at the freeway. Long rides are cool...:top:

Top Bottom