What fails or breaks in the six speed trans

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by Nashman, May 18, 2019.

1. Nashman

Nashman Member

I hear alot of people say it's junk and it breaks but what is the fail point's

I all ready know all about the clutch stuff

I do find the transmission does not like ot be shifted fast. pretty sure the accumulator in the clutch line is to blame.

2. 30Birdy

30Birdy Member

I wish it shifted more like a Tremec.

3. Nashman

Nashman Member

I just by passed the accumulator valve and it shift so much better now and can now shift fast with out grinding a gear with my short shifter now all to fix now is the ecu eather hp tuners or a link ecu and then finally will be able to slam shift the truck with out it bucking or bogging

john salgado likes this.
  4. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I’ve heard of shift forks failing, the quill shearing off, as well as bad synchros. ::knock on wood:: I’ve only had to deal with bad throw out bearings

5. Nashman

Nashman Member

So the box its self doesn't fail ie strip gears or have case flexing issues causing other issues. Getting rid of the accumulator will help quill were kinda wish I did it along time ago

6. 30Birdy

30Birdy Member

Where/how do you by pass the accumulator?

7. autobodyX

autobodyX Active Member

Remove the accumulator then pull the back off and remove the check valve then reinstall and bleed air fro system

8. 30Birdy

30Birdy Member

Are there any negative affects from performing this mod?

9. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

Basically, the throwout bearings suck, the synchros suck, and the gearing is absolutely horrendous lol. I would try the accumulator removal if I still had my truck.

10. Nashman

Nashman Member

I went to pull mine apart but the inner plate didn't wanna pop out so I just said fuck it and put the union in was rather simple lines pretty much met together with light bending .

11. Superloki24

Superloki24 Member

I got rid of the accumulator and it gives more pedal feel when engaging the clutch. It's not soft like stock and it's more like what I consider the way a clutch pedal should feel like. It was easy to get rid of, but bleeding the system is a pain unless you have a good brake bleeding system.

12. blu xr

blu xr Member

sound simple...any vids or a link to this?

id like to know if there are also

only problem ive had (currently has over 200k) is a whining noise when at idle. if i push in the clutch a little, it goes away.

13. Nashman

Nashman Member

that should not happen or at least far less then having the valve in there is no stored pressure any more so the barring no longer spins most of the time.

only downfall in the valve acts as a hydraulic amplifier so for littel movement in the peda make the pedal slow down giveing you more control in the sweet spot makes it easy to get up and go but makes grinding gear's a common thing . the issue that this cases the baring moves too slow, because when you are feathering it sometimes it will jam up and stick some times causing dents/uneven ware in the quill and causeing the uneven clutch ware, then the fork will start to rub on the throw out baring since the clutch diaphragm is no longer flat causing a funny crip, then the barring just gets wores ect ect ect. all the other toyota like the sicon xb have the same valve and show sighns of the same type of ware but less since the pressure plate is not as strong as ours.

so the only down fall is once you delete it your pedal engagement will move up in the stroke

14. TacoSawce

TacoSawce New Member

I rebuilt my transmission last year. Broken shift fork is something you can look forward to. Also, if you have early gen shift keys for the syncros, you can look forward to the balls and springs flying out when shifting and locking your shifter in place.