Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why people black out headlights with HID

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Forgive me for the dumb question... I'm trying to plan out my Retrofit HID headlights, and I see that most people who do retrofits also do the black headlight mod. Is this just an aesthetic thing, or is there more reasoning to do this? I'm just wondering if the HIDs would still reflect off of the stock chrome housings and create glare for other drivers.

I'm planning on going with The Retrofit Source complete kit, with shrouds. I also plan on using the Depo headlights with black bezels ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Depo-312-1186P-US2-Toyota-Tacoma-Headlight/dp/B005XRPNYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397869199&sr=8-1&keywords=tacoma+depo+headlights[/ame]). I'd prefer not to black out the housings, mainly because my painting skills still need work, and I only want to rip apart a headlight once. :rolleyez:

I guess my question is, why do people black out the headlights along with retrofits, instead of leaving them chrome? I suppose this could also be an unofficial poll.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything, although I could be overlooking the answer. :dontknow:

justin13703

Reaction score
The only reason is personal preference. There is no effect on light output either way.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
It is just for looks. If you like the look of the fully blacked out headlight you could paint the reflector in black plastic dip and if you screw up just peel it off and try it again.

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Ok, that's what I kinda figured, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks guys! :smile:

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Preference.

I like my reflector bowls stock...

LSEbay.jpg~original

IMG_4372.jpg~original

CalSub5.jpg~original

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
Those look sweet. That's what I am hoping to achieve, but without the eyelids. I wasn't going to do halos, but now looking at yours, I may reconsider. :top:

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

:adore: From you, I take that as a major compliment.

BTW, I didn't have a shroud option back when I did mine.

Large

Reaction score
Aesthetics only, you can keep them chrome or paint them. I plan on doing my next set by shipping the housing and getting them hydro-dipped in carbon fiber. Here are my current ones:

qsVDEfG.jpg

metalpeddler88

Reaction score
I ended up not painting them, and I like them.
Sorry, I stole your idea BSP06XRU. :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 138

TRSAndrew

Reaction score
Aesthetics only, you can keep them chrome or paint them. I plan on doing my next set by shipping the housing and getting them hydro-dipped in carbon fiber. Here are my current ones:

http://i.imgur.com/qsVDEfG.jpg?1[/mg][/quote]

Oh come on. Use real carbon fiber!

metalpeddler88

Reaction score

X_Less

Reaction score
I saw this at TW. Definitely interesting, but whew, the moneys. Wallet hurts just thinking of it. Looks like he has some crazy plans. :smile:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/li...rojector-retrofit-completed-headlights-8.html

Hydrographics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEjrtBprlo

Cheaper than you think, It also looks really cheap and fake too when you get close to it.

hydrographics-carbon-fiber.png

Real carbon fiber
IMG_0051.jpg

The fake is just like a grey and black checkered pattern, While real carbon fiber has like a 3D affect and it doesn't have imperfections like unusual curved weaves.

Notice the straight carbon fiber weaves in the bends
lamborghini-carbon-fiber-parts-released-by-renown_4.jpg

See the wave the "weave" makes around the turn signals and how wide each "weave" gets...
IMG_2604_zpsc78abe25.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom