Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

why turbo over s/c or vise versa

yayxrunner707

Reaction score
i have a question. it might be stupid but im wondering. in november im getting the supercharger from urd or trd but probably urd because trd is taking way to long. but now since c2c came out with the turbo ive been tempting to lean more towards that:biggrin: . what my question is why would you guys choose the turbo over the s/c or vise versa. Whats the difference in horsepower gain or performance wise. thanx alot:biggrin: i know there are other threads about supercharger or turbo but i want your guys's opinions on this one. thank again.

TACOMATOSED

Reaction score
Some One Please Correct Me If I Am Wrong. A S/c Robs Power To Make Power. Another Words It Uses Power To Turn A Pulley (usually Chain Or Belt Driven) To Force Air (compressor) To Allow More Fuel To Be Burned. I Don't Know That It Robs A Significant Amount Of Power. A Turbo Used Exhaust Gases (FREE POWER)To Turn The Turbine Side Of A Turbo Which In Turn Spins (spool) The Compressor Side Of The Turbo And Forces Air Into The Intake To Allow More Fuel To Burn. as With All Things There Are Pros And Cons And I Believe That Engine Compression Is A Big Factor In The Types Of Power Gains Achieved. I Am Not That Familiar With S/c's I Am More Familiar With T/c Because My Previous Vehicle Was A 2002 Vw Gti 1.8t (turbo). I Was Amazed At The Power It Acheived From A 1.8l Motor. I Also Work For The Leader Of The Balancing Industry And One Application That We Produce Are Machines That Balance The Spinning Parts Of Turbos. AGAIN THIS IS JUST MY GENERAL KNOWLEDGE AND I AM NOT PARTIAL TO EITHER. I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH EITHER ONE ON MY X

Last edited:

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
well put Geoff !!! :top:
I think bottom line here is what an individual wants, they both have pros and cons. By-the-way I've owned both, had a 91 MR2 Turbo, as a project vehicle. My 00 Tundra was supercharged with a TRD Root Style, and now have the URD S/C. Honestly I had trouble out of all three, but the most reliable so far is the Rotrex S/C.

Deviant

Reaction score
I'd go with turbo over supercharger just because I dont want a linear power band that you would normally get with a supercharger. With superchargers, you don't reach full boost until you are at almost redline.

BigBuff87

Reaction score
I dont know too much but someone explained to me that s/c are designed to always give a semi even amount of power throughout the speed your goin and then a turbo winds up and then gives you a bigger burst of air that allows more power gain. and the guy that explained it to me that if you want to race your car/truck get a turbo its better or if you just want the power when your driving and a little to race get a s/c. dont know if thatll help you or not maby i was jsut told wrong but thats a lil advise that i heard if im wrong someone PLEASE tell me haha!!

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
Plain and simple, I will never supercharge any of my vehicles because I love the kick of my T67 in my MR2.

I like being able to control how much boost I want to run with a Manual Boost Controller.

RossK35

Reaction score
Supercharger for the off the line power and midrange area and, more so for realibilty. Had a s/c in my old truck and loved it.

LunarX

Reaction score
i have a AWD 95 eclipse turbo charged 453whp and 489 torque and the feeling of a turbo charger is non-explainable. In this situation i wouldnt know which to choose because i have never s/c or t/c a truck, but here's a small breakdown from my knowledge.

Pros Turbo: Turbo can have better powerbands through out mid to high rpms. Can be cheaper in price. Space consumed is easier managed.

Pros SuperCharger: Instant power thoughout full rpm bands.

Cons Turbo: "Turbo Lag" from as late as 5.5k rpms depending on turbo. (though dual ball-bearing turbos can hit full boost at as soon as 2k rpms). Need an elapsed cool down process in order to maintain turbo's life expectancy (turbo timer usually required). Life expectancy are 2-3 years in general with extreme care and maintaince. Usually runs way hotter than Superchargers. Requires careful monitoring....

SuperCharger Cons: If the belt snaps then you have a very bad situation upon your motor. Very space consuming. Fairly expensive. Creates more strain on the engine to create power, leaving your engine with fairly quicker wear and tear on the motor.

I stick to turbo because i like how the turbo pulls when it hits full boost.

Thats my 2 cents....

Lunar-X

yayxrunner707

Reaction score
thanx for all the info guys. im made my decision and ima wait till c2c comes out with their turbo kit. any more input from anyone else is greatly appreciated.:top:

Harmonius

Reaction score
Alrighty boys. I'm through waiting. I'm gonna be building my own turbo kit. Also gonna be doing the internals as well. I figured I have the resources so why not. I'll keep updated when I get started within the next couple of months.
progress.gif

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
Alrighty boys. I'm through waiting. I'm gonna be building my own turbo kit. Also gonna be doing the internals as well. I figured I have the resources so why not. I'll keep updated when I get started within the next couple of months.

progress.gif

Glad to see someone else is goin out there and getting some custom work done.

Good luck.

Top Bottom