Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windex... use caution

arizona_x-runner

Reaction score
The proprietary chemicals can over time, ruin the dash and other "porous" materials in our trucks. Not saying in a few weeks time, but like where I live in AZ, combining heat, sunlight and temps... the chemicals in Windex, if used on other then glass with help speed the drying/cracking of our "porous" plastics/vinyls.

Windex proprietary ingredient: ISOPROPANOL (ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL), 2-PROPANOL, DIMETHYL CARBINOL

Much like our skins (and natural oils) alcohol based products/chemicals pulls our skins oils out and drys our skin out, in some cases... badly. Plastic and the plasticizers in them along with vinyls and their compositions can be quickly effected over time.

Now that being said, a good wipe over with Amor All or such equivilant products for our interiors will aid in keeping things treated and prolonged life.

Hitman

Reaction score
yep yep yep :biggrin: Armor All all the way the original if they have been around this long its got to be working for sure :top:

rich017

Reaction score
NO!! Do not us Armor All. It also will eat stuff away over time. Use something like meguiars spray detailer every once in a while instead of armor all. Also never use windex. Use an auto glass cleaner and when I clean my windshield in the inside I always lay down a towel on the dash to make sure nothing gets on it.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
NO!! Do not us Armor All. It also will eat stuff away over time. Use something like meguiars spray detailer every once in a while instead of armor all. Also never use windex. Use an auto glass cleaner and when I clean my windshield in the inside I always lay down a towel on the dash to make sure nothing gets on it.

My biggest gripe against Armor-All is the slimy silicone residue is leaves behind. I've used it for quite some time because I like the lusterous shine (and because it's readily available in stores), but like I said earlier today, I've transferred over to Meguiar's #40.

The thing about Armor-All is that it doesn't really condition interior pieces, it just leaves a film on top. That silicone gets soaked up into the plastics and over time they seem to become more and more "thirsty". They never quite get that same shine no matter how much armor all you use and if you do get one, it doesn't last very long. It also makes painting & restoration a biotch in the future.

arizona_x-runner

Reaction score
Yep, original ArmourAll is like slowly adding micro layers of "waxy" build up on the dash plastic (worse if its a porous type plastic like ours) and will eventually over long times.. crack. Seen it on some older vehicles that owners used ArmourAll religiously on their vehicles interior plastics.

Dunno for sure in scientific reasearching.. LOL, but could be the culprit. :hmmmm2: :dontknow: :biggrin:

06ATLBSP

"Snickers"
Reaction score
The thing about Armor-All is that it doesn't really condition interior pieces, it just leaves a film on top. That silicone gets soaked up into the plastics and over time they seem to become more and more "thirsty". They never quite get that same shine no matter how much armor all you use and if you do get one, it doesn't last very long. It also makes painting & restoration a biotch in the future.

:dito: Meguires FTW!!!!!!!

Hitman

Reaction score
guess i got to change I dont use it all the time only on special ocassions and when I do i only use a small portion but I will definitly use the Meguiars #40 and try it out

HiTek21

Reaction score
Aerospace 303 FTW. You should also use some kind of sun shade to prolong the dashlife, it also helps keep your cab about 10 degrees cooler.

Tapp

Reaction score
i will never touch armor all on my truck..NOTHING!!!!

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
armor all sucks balls...it really does as far as interior cleaning products. if you wipe armor all on the dash if you stop using it the sun will start to crack the dash. i had this problem with my 72 bronco after redoing everythings...not worth the time or the money

rich017

Reaction score
my dad used armorall on his silverado before he gave it to me. All the plastic knobs started to melt in the sun and get all sticky. my uncle uses it on his F-150 when it was garage kept. He stopped using it and it now sits in the drive way and the dash is cracked like a mofo and its only 6 years old

for glass cleaner I like to use mequiars NXT generation glass cleaner with some newspaper.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
rich017: that's what i said...armorall sucks balls....:thumpdown:

PascoX

Reaction score
I don't use windex on the interior of the X, just on the exterior. Just posting my own experiences with Armor-All. I've used it for the past 13 years and have never had any of my vehicles crack. Since I've been 16 I used to Armor-All my vehicles once a week. Even on my 300zx which I use Armor-all on the dash, interior, and exterior plastic and vinyl there have been no problems. And that car is not garaged, it sits in my mother's front yard in the baking Florida sun and there are no cracks on the interior or exterior. I also used it on my jetski seat. I used to ride my ski everyday, when I got back home, I would detail the engine and exterior. On the seat I would always use Armor-all. The ski was always ridden in the sun at the beach and in saltwater for about two years. The seat looked like new when I sold the ski. My 03 Tacoma which had its fair share of Armor-all on the interior sits out in the Florida sun all day when it is driven to work, and there are no cracks or anything melting on the dash.
The only complaint I have is the dust and dirt it attracts. My 03 Tacoma has a grey interior and the dirt clings to the armor-alled interior and gets it dirty fast. You rub your hand over the piece and it will turn your hand black. Same with the X, I've noticed more dust clinging to the dash after I Armor-all it with Armor-all(the detailer one,that does not have the glossy finish).

rich017

Reaction score
it's way too greasy imo. It leaves that shinny film. The meguiars stuff dries and leaves the interior smelling sooo goood.:biggrin: Also gets coke out of the headliner (not in my truck)

Top Bottom