Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: NEW Gauge LED Change

mixplate_xr

Reaction score
WOOT! just finished doing it to mines. I have no solder experience at all, but managed to make mines perfect. Just takes some patience and I do me some PATIENCE

xptical

Reaction score
Hmm. Now that I see the work involved in this, I dunno. I'm okay with the soldering, but I am pretty intimidated by taking my dash apart. But I digress.

I haven't checked all 15 pages yet, but can you change the other lights as well? There is one under my power window switch and a few in the center console. Also, how are the lights in the needles driven? Fiber-optic? Maybe a SMD LED inside the needle? I'm guessing it's FO somehow from a SMD on the main board. If so, why didn't you change those LEDs as well?

Finally, did you ever identify a lead on the PCB to power the LEDs for testing *before* you re-install it in the dash?

mixplate_xr

Reaction score
Hmm. Now that I see the work involved in this, I dunno. I'm okay with the soldering, but I am pretty intimidated by taking my dash apart. But I digress.

Also, how are the lights in the needles driven? Fiber-optic? Maybe a SMD LED inside the needle? I'm guessing it's FO somehow from a SMD on the main board. If so, why didn't you change those LEDs as well?

it seems intimidating to take the dash apart but if you got the right tools it's quick and easy.

the needles are the same leds as the rest. I changed them on mines, I also read somewhere on here that you can use nail polish remover to rub off the orange color of the needles and just put a white paint marker pen on the back for it to shine the light off better depending on what color you choose to go with.

stretch200

Reaction score
He ^ said it all. If you have any questions, pm me. I'll help walk you through it.

rice247

Reaction score
Finally did mine. Just need to order some more white LED's for the needles. It took me longer to take the cluster and dash apart than it did to solder the LED's.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
cant wait.....

I just ordered some red leds of ebay. I compared them to other sites so hopefully they will be the same and work on my gauges. It was $12.99 for 50 leds so hopefully they r right......but if not i didnt spend that much. ill post some pix when i change em out.

Baggins44

Reaction score
I cant get the dash off. The two screws at the top wont unscrew. Any advice?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Led change

Thanks for a very detailed procedure now all we need is the, leds ,soldering gun,steady hand and lots of patience

Reaction score
Well I just ordered my blue LED's. I'm lovin these cheap but great mods. This has to be the easiest and cheapest vehicle I have ever done anything with. Thanks for all the informative posts!

Jwall

Reaction score
I want to do this but don't want to damage anything. Is it really that easy? And the link for the LEDs is that the type needed for instal or are they just the led bulbs with the two wires coming off them. Hopefully I can be convinced to do this finally.

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the write up. I would have ended up ordering some over-priced dask kit from a wedsite had it not been for this forum. Second, I attempted this mod and was inpressed at how easy it was despite electronic work which seems intimidating to a lot of people. I had a butane solder pencil but after some research along with everyone elses advice i decided to get an electric 35W solder pencil and it coudn't have turned out better. I was amazed at the ease of the mod and how cheap it was. The total cost was under 40 bucks. That includes 17 LED's and a new solder pencil. So again, thanks for the write up and hopefully I can find something new to mod and shore my newfound knowledge for everyone elses benefit.

firemed2311

Reaction score
Excellent step by step, the blue looks awesome I'm going to have to try that myself!!

I just went to that link you posted. I'm a little confused, this is my first attempt at doing a mod myself. How many lights do I need to order and what about the lights in the center console, how do change those?

Last edited:

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
mine was that way when i had it. the pics are on here somewhere.

J

JDUB916

First off, excellent write-up! I did mine very fast and efficiently. I'm glad I learned how to solder the right way a few months ago cuz those babies are TINY!!! Quick question, I bought the same blue led's as the member who created the write-up but mine are not as bright as his, his appear almost hyper blue, is it because there is still a lot of daylight right now and his pic appears to be taken at night?

Thanks!!

ultraxr

Reaction score
I'm kind of confused. OP said 17 LED's, but in the write up, i saw/counted 7 LEDs in red and purple markings. Can someone clarify the total amount of LEDs that are to be replaced. Thanks

J

JDUB916

I'm kind of confused. OP said 17 LED's, but in the write up, i saw/counted 7 LEDs in red and purple markings. Can someone clarify the total amount of LEDs that are to be replaced. Thanks

7 for just the background lights. But for example I wanted to change my cruise control and that daytime light thats always on so that's 2 more. Everything is lit with led's

Top Bottom