Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Recessed Grill mod

shook

Reaction score
Its been about 3 weeks since I randomly decided to chop my grill but only actually been working on it for about 2 days. The way I decided to patch up the holes to recess the grill is with fiberglass and bondo. Youre gonna need some sandpaper ( I picked up 3 different grades, 60\220\400 ),a can of Bondo, some cheap paint brushes, cheap mixxing cups (I used 2 but bought 3cups just incase) painters tape and a Fiberglass repair kit that you should be able to find at any parts store.

Fiberglass.jpg

1.Of course the first thing you do is gut out the inside of the grill and use the 60grit sand paper to sand down any high spots and to scuff up the sides of the grill where youre going to be laying the fiberglass to patch up the holes. You want to scuff both sides, front and back :top:
IMG_1991_edited.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

Scuff2.jpg

Scuff.jpg

2.Tape up the front of your grill with painters tape to project it from getting damaged while youre working on it and also to protect it from any resin that might drip down when applying the fiberglass. You also want to tape across the holes to help with laying the fiberglass over the holes. I used 3 strips to patch up the holes, two of the strips went the whole length of both holes but only covered halfway up while still overlapping each other and the last strip to go the whole length of the holes but covering the whole height.

Depending on how much hardener you add you might have to work fast, it took me only an ounce of resin and used 12drops of hardener for each side of the grill (read the instructions that come with the Fiberglass repair kit) mix a batch in a cup. After mixxing, apply the resin on the whole surface area that you will be laying the sheets of fiber glass on and then lay one of the half sheets into place, I started from the bottom up. After laying the sheet on just dab it into place and then start from one end to the other and apply more resin making sure you cover the whole sheet of fiberglass.

You want to make sure you make good contact on the plastic areas of the grill and push out any air bubbles. When the first sheet looks like its stuck on pretty good go ahead and lay the other half sheet making sure it over laps the first sheet, dont worry about making it flush with the top of the grill, its better to have some over hang because youll trim it flush after its all done. Again once the second sheet is stuck on good wet the whole surface area with resin and apply the last full sheet covering both half sheets and repeat the process of brushing the resin and pushing out the air bubbles. When done set it aside and wait for it to cure, should take about an hour, you can use the left over resin to test and see if its cured and hard, it should looks like this when youre done.

Fiberglasspatch5.jpg

Fiberglasspatch3.jpg

Fiberglasspatch2.jpg

Fiberglasspatch.jpg

Fiberglasspatch6.jpg

3.After its all cured and hard you can take off the support tape and trim off the excess, used a small piece of cardboard and trace out the curve you want and trace it on the fiberglass with a sharpie. I used a dremel to trim off the excess fiberglass but becareful not to push too hard. If the patch feels weak you can mix up another batch and add more layers of fiberglass but keep in mind its just there to help hold the bondo and if you decide to add more layers you might want to scuff it up before laying more.

Fiberglasspatchsandandtrim.jpg

Fiberglasspatchsandandtrim2.jpg

And the test fit.
Fiberglasspatchedsandandtrimtestfit.jpg

4.Next you scuff up the fiberglass where youll be adding bondo. Mix up some bondo and again, depending on how much hardener you add, you might have to apply it on pretty quick. Mix up a good size patch to cover the entire side and its up to you but I wanted to apply some bondo on the top and bottom of the grill to make it flat. Apply it over the flberglass, it doesnt have to be perfect, youre gonna be sanding it down and shaping it anyways.

After about 20minutes you can start sanding down the bondo, start with the 60grit untill its pretty flat and close to flush then use the 220 shape it and smoothen it out. You want to get it down to where you can pretty much see the patched area but have it feel like theres a smooth transition between the plastic and the patched area. You probably wont get it perfect the first time so no worries, just get it as close as possible. Feel with your hand for any high spots and work it down, if you feel low spots, dont worry, you can always add more bondo later to shape and sand. Should look something like this.

Before sanding and shaping
Bondo.jpg

After
Bondo4.jpg

Bondo2.jpg

Bondo3.jpg

And the test fit
Bondotestfit.jpg

Thsi is as far as I got today, mix up another batch of bondo and fill in any low spots and sand\shape till youre satisfied then go over the whole area with 220 and then 400grit till its all smooth. Use a filler primer and paint whatever color you want. So far this project only costed me about $40, you can get mesh grill from Home Depot or you can use the Grillcraft grill if youre a baller ! which Im not haha :laugh: I should be done soon and will post up the finished pictures :top:

Last edited:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Here is the second part, copied from page 2

Very nice work :top:

5.Mixxed up another batch of bondo to fill the low spots and sanded it down with 60grit then 220grit and then go over the whole grill with 400grit wetsand. Taped it all up nicely and sprayed flat black filler primer over the whole lip. Then filled any pinholes with spot filler and wet sanded the whole thing and primed it again. This is basically what the end product will look like in my case since I will be leaving it flat black, just gotta tape it all up again and spray it with the flat black paint, I think Im going to spray my hoodscoop insert flat black to match the grill. I might also be changing the mesh to a thicker style and spraying the AC condenser and Radiator black leaving only the Intercooler silver hoping it adds more volume to the grill but other than that it looks great :top:

Shaped and final sand before primer
ShapedandreadyforFillerPrimer.jpg

All taped up and ready for Filler Primer
ReadyforFillerPrimer.jpg

Primed
Primed2.jpg

Primed.jpg

Spot filled and Primed again, also mounted the Mesh, this is pretty much what the finished product will look like :top: I actually took these pictures with a REAL camera instead of my camera phone :laugh: enjoy
PrimedandMesh.jpg

PrimedandMesh4.jpg

PrimedandMesh5.jpg

PrimedandMesh3.jpg

PrimedandMesh2.jpg

And the test fit on the car :top:
TestFit3.jpg

TestFit2.jpg

TestFit.jpg

TestFit4.jpg

x-runner kid

Reaction score
nice write up dude way to go this is defenetly a project that i am putting on my to do list :top:

lenie03

Reaction score
Shook just to throw out some more info out if some one wants the same type of mesh that the Grill Craft MX Grill comes in they can call GrillCraft @ 1(888) 300-9258 and ask for the Steel Universal Mesh. It runs about 40-50 bucks or so, but it is the same stuff that the MX Grill is made of. Oh and you can choose between two different sizes that the sheet comes in, it's only about a ten dollar difference between the big sheet and the smaller one.

shook

Reaction score
looking good man :top: hope the rest goes well

Im sure it will :top: I think one more layer to touch up some low spots and Ill be ready to finish it up and paint it. I was thinking Blacksand Pearl or even Speedway blue but I think Ill stay with a flat black finish to keep the factory look :top:

Final step: Attaching Your Mesh.

The way I did it was epoxy on these plastic wire tie down brackets all around the inner part of the lip, cut your mesh so it overlaps the grill opening and just tie it down. Theres alot of ways to do it, you could epoxy on a bolt and use a nut to tighten the mesh down or even use a 90degree bracket, epoxy or fiberglass that on the lip and screw the mesh onto the bracket. Wether you use the tie downs and wire ties or the nut and bolt its pretty much the same secrurity wise, if someone wants to kick in the grill theyll be able to do it wether its wire ties holding the mesh inplace or a nut and bolt, thats the way I see it :laugh:

Mesh4.jpg

Mesh3.jpg

Mesh2.jpg

Mesh.jpg

And if youre wondering where I relocated my horns heres a photoshop of where I mounted them. Extend your wires and use star washers to make sure you got good connection to ground when mounting the horns. I used the two upper 12mm bolts that hold the radiator in place to mount my horns, also I used two types of start washers for each horn to make good contact with ground, one is a inside type star washer to bite into the horn brackets and the other is the outter type star waster to bite into the car chassis.

Inside type star washer

StarWasher.jpg

Outside type star washer

95028020.JPG

Use the outside washer mounting between the horn bracket and the car and the inside type between the horn bracket and the bolt.

Hornrelocation.jpg

I wanted to keep the horns facing downwards like factory so it keeps water from building up inside which would ruin your horn. This is just to give you an idea where you could relocate your horns to since it will be visible after installing a grill.

Last edited:

Tapp

Reaction score
that is sweet, im gonna be doing this in about 3 weeks!! :top:

preXrunner

Reaction score
real good work man. :top:
ill be using this if i decide to recess my grille..

Vince77

Reaction score
Nice work man:top: Great write up too.
I could still use a lil touch up on mine. But I'm in no hurry, it's a lot of freakin sanding :frown:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent write up! Thank you for taking the time to put this write up together Shook. I LOVE the recessed look. :adore:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
You ever thinking about color matching the lip with the SWB? :biggrin:

shook

Reaction score
You ever thinking about color matching the lip with the SWB? :biggrin:

I did but I decided to stay with the flat black to keep it factory looking, I think painting it Speedway Blue would throw off the look in the front. Whoever decides to do this can paint it whatever color they want, wont hurt my feelings at all :laugh: :top:

HiTek21

Reaction score
Awesome job, that grill mod makes me want to do it to mine

X-Runnin

Reaction score
I'm hopefully doing this pretty soon, awesome idea and it looks great. One question, couldn't you just use a sheet of plastic and cut it to the right size for the holes, then just use bondo to hold everything in place?

shook

Reaction score
Updated pictures.

5.Mixxed up another batch of bondo to fill the low spots and sanded it down with 60grit then 220grit and then go over the whole grill with 400grit wetsand. Taped it all up nicely and sprayed flat black filler primer over the whole lip. Then filled any pinholes with spot filler and wet sanded the whole thing and primed it again. This is basically what the end product will look like in my case since I will be leaving it flat black, just gotta tape it all up again and spray it with the flat black paint, I think Im going to spray my hoodscoop insert flat black to match the grill. I might also be changing the mesh to a thicker style and spraying the AC condenser and Radiator black leaving only the Intercooler silver hoping it adds more volume to the grill but other than that it looks great :top:

Shaped and final sand before primer
ShapedandreadyforFillerPrimer.jpg

All taped up and ready for Filler Primer
ReadyforFillerPrimer.jpg

Primed
Primed2.jpg

Primed.jpg

Spot filled and Primed again, also mounted the Mesh, this is pretty much what the finished product will look like :top: I actually took these pictures with a REAL camera instead of my camera phone :laugh: enjoy
PrimedandMesh.jpg

PrimedandMesh4.jpg

PrimedandMesh5.jpg

PrimedandMesh3.jpg

PrimedandMesh2.jpg

And the test fit on the car :top:
TestFit3.jpg

TestFit2.jpg

TestFit.jpg

TestFit4.jpg

Top Bottom