Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Recessed Grill mod

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I used a bunch of zip ties on mine for the main piece. I epoxied the little triangle pieces....I'll take some pics tomorrow for you

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the pics I promised

100_0761.jpg

100_0766.jpg

Mounting the mesh. Zip tied directly to the grill itself. I drilled a couple holes. I also epoxied a few 90* metal brackets to the top.

1blkt

Reaction score
Here are the pics I promised

100_0761.jpg

100_0766.jpg

Mounting the mesh. Zip tied directly to the grill itself. I drilled a couple holes. I also epoxied a few 90* metal brackets to the top.

Do you have any better pics or could you explain how you attached the side vents? I have mine on but would like to redo it in the future. Thanks!

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any better pics or could you explain how you attached the side vents? I have mine on but would like to redo it in the future. Thanks!

Better pics really won't help. All I did was use some claps to hold them in place and then put several dabs of epoxy along the edges. You don't need much because the mesh is so light. Just make sure you let the epoxy fully cure before you remove the clamps. If it lifts anywhere re-position the clamps and add a couple more dabs. I put a dab in each corner and then a dab in the middle of each side. :top:

1blkt

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Currently I have some pieces of all thread jb welded on to mount my perforated metal that I'm using. I'm in the process of making a new grill and this time around I'm going to use more of a mesh weave, similar to the grille material on the chrysler 300's. Thanks for the tip, I think I'll give that a shot on the next one.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
NP, that's what this place is all about, good luck :top:

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
what do you guys do with your chrome toyota emblems from the grille? should i mount it back on once i recess the grille? or is there somewhere else i could use it that would improve the looks of my truck?

what type of mesh do you guys use and where is it found? how much does it cost. do you buy it from a vendor or is that a custom addition?

thank in advance

shook

Reaction score
Dont know why I didnt do this earlier but I copied and pasted the final step of attaching the mesh to the first page to complete the write up so now you dont have to scan through all the pages to see it,goodluck :top:

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
what do you guys do with your chrome toyota emblems from the grille? should i mount it back on once i recess the grille? or is there somewhere else i could use it that would improve the looks of my truck?

what type of mesh do you guys use and where is it found? how much does it cost. do you buy it from a vendor or is that a custom addition?

thank in advance

seems like my original message^^^ got skipped over... im trying to do this pretty soon... bump

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
seems like my original message^^^ got skipped over... im trying to do this pretty soon... bump

most people including myself use the GrillCraft MX gril which you can get from TTC or Ebay. whatever emblems you put back on is your choice. :top:
3-11-09003.jpg

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
ok thanks fellas.. i was just wondering if you were buying the mesh as a non precut peice or what. ill post up pics as soon as i get mine done

micpun

Reaction score
this place would be definitely a lot cheaper than buying a grill craft mx grille:top:
If you search around you will see a lot of styles to choose from.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
I got that exact same grill powder coated black. I didn't buy it from them though, I got it off of ebay. I got a huge piece shipped to Hawaii for only $25.

Emanon

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this!! Question: Is there any reason you did not fill in the small opening at the top?

Did this today on my truck. I am not going RGM rather I wanted to clean up the grill to look better after the butchering I did to it when cutting for the MX grill. Plan is to rattle can BSP the plastic to make for another low key mod to round out the truck. As a bonus after I cut the grill to install the MX upper I noticed when closing the hood the grill housing flexed more and the glass will strengthen it up.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Used fiberglass gel and it is messy! Not sure if resin would have been easier or not...prolly would.
2) Mix the bondo in small batches. Mine dried quick and then went on lumpy, which led to mad sanding to smooth it out. Also small batches equal thinner coats which means less sanding.
3) Buy, beg, borrow or steal a small powered sander. Started with a rough 3M sanding block and after a few mins I got smart and plugged in a Ryobi corner sander we bought a few years back. All of sudden the sun was shining, birds were chirping and I knew I had a chance of actually finishing it one day.

MRDOBNS

Reaction score
do i have to use bondo or can i sand the fiberglass smooth and paint it?

Top Bottom