Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Transmission Fluid Change

JFrame

Reaction score
When pouring the new oil in via the shifter do you pour into the hole that the tip of shifter goes into or do you pour into the space around that hole?

deanbhula1

Reaction score
When pouring the new oil in via the shifter do you pour into the hole that the tip of shifter goes into or do you pour into the space around that hole?

I think it's all the same area, if I understood your question. The part the tip goes in is just the thing that says what gear to be in corresponding to the position of shifter.

JFrame

Reaction score
I think it's all the same area, if I understood your question. The part the tip goes in is just the thing that says what gear to be in corresponding to the position of shifter.

The tip of the shifter had grease on it so I didn't really think I should pour the transmission fluid in the same spot as where the grease was. I ended up just waiting till my roommate came home and had him take me to autozone to get a pump. $7 and was super easy to just go through the fill hole at that point.

triple6

Reaction score
can't believe I haven't done this yet pics didn't show up tho maybe cus I'm mobile did you just order the oil online?

chatt x

Reaction score
Maybe the pics are no longer available. It's an old thread. Changed over to MT-90 last weekend and DAMN!!! What a difference $16 a quart makes!

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
seems simple enough i've done oil changes my whole life i just never did this... kinda wanted to have a peek before tackling it..but yeah thats what i want MT-90 i wanto do this the right way

chatt x

Reaction score
Super simple! Much easier with a helping hand! I ran clear hose from the trans to the engine compartment then put a funnel on that. About 10 minutes and done.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
IMG_20120530_191028.jpg

Locate the drain.
IMG_20120530_190922.jpg

Remove and let drain.
IMG_20120530_190630.jpg

Clean drain plug of shavings and replace at recommended 25lbs
IMG_20120530_190922.jpg

remove console and shifter.
IMG_20120530_191121.jpg

Get your fluid ready...
IMG_20120530_191235.jpg

Use a funnel to help minimize over spill.
IMG_20120530_191320.jpg

Poor fluids, 2 quarts.
IMG_20120530_191441.jpg

QUOTE]
ha found it! so this seems easier than getting my dog to play ball...so 2 qts of mt 90 and im good?

it says 3 in the write up

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
You could probably open the fill plug and have someone watch as you pour oil into the shifter and let you know when it's full. That way you know for sure it's full but you don't have to worry with a pump.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
where is the fill plug located, and i suppose i can pour it in the shifter and when it comes out of the fill hole its full?

justin13703

Reaction score
Fill plug is about half way up the side of the transmission on the drivers side I believe. Looks similar to the drain plug.

GR6RR

Reaction score
ha found it! so this seems easier than getting my dog to play ball...so 2 qts of mt 90 and im good?

it says 3 in the write up

This tranny holds 1.9 quarts.
We went ahead and dumped 2 whole quarts in.
When I removed the hose, the extra dribbled out, and I put the plug back in.

The write up did say dude bought 3... but used 2... required is 1.9

rezrunner

Reaction score
Eeek im at like 75k on my 08 iv done my engine oil with full synthetic all the time but iv never touched the tranny fluid. Im def doing this asap. One of the reasons being what was mentioned earlier, i researched it awhile ago and toyota says not till like 80k to do the tranny fluid but everyone on here is saying 30k kinda has me concerned :/ do u guys think its really bad that i havent done it?

and also can anyone think of anything else i should be checking/changing maintenece wise around 80k? i just did the oil change at 75k im doing the sparkplugs soon.,and now the tranny fluid change. Anything else?

And which royal purple product should i use in the tranny? i might want to just use that since i can get it locally but idk which royal purple to get

Last edited:

dramad1

Reaction score
Coolant flush, brake fluid flush, rear diff, belts.

X-MOKED U

Reaction score
Eeek im at like 75k on my 08 iv done my engine oil with full synthetic all the time but iv never touched the tranny fluid. Im def doing this asap. One of the reasons being what was mentioned earlier, i researched it awhile ago and toyota says not till like 80k to do the tranny fluid but everyone on here is saying 30k kinda has me concerned :/ do u guys think its really bad that i havent done it?

and also can anyone think of anything else i should be checking/changing maintenece wise around 80k? i just did the oil change at 75k im doing the sparkplugs soon.,and now the tranny fluid change. Anything else?

And which royal purple product should i use in the tranny? i might want to just use that since i can get it locally but idk which royal purple to get

royal purple is an okay product MT 90 is the way to go for trans oil

butters607

Reaction score

All of your fluids....cabin air filter, regular air filter

Top Bottom