Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: TRD Short Shifter Install

advanced.rr

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Glad I read about being able to put the trans fluid through the shifter area. I guess I'll change to redline at the same time.

On a side note, has anyone installed P/N PTR04-35052 to the 2wd? I ordered P/N PTR04-35051 but was sent P/N PTR04-35052. Not sure if I should return it or just go ahead and try to see if it works.

Coupe

Reaction score
It will be about 1/2" longer than the 2wd. It will bolt up fine.

Reaction score
Wow, $287 for a slighty dropped shift ball and a spacer? Pretty sure I can fab something else up for a lot less. Challenge accepted! I modded the shifter on my 2011 Fiesta for the price of a 2nd shifter from a junk yard ( just as backup). No one on the forum seemed to care. They'd rather have the shiney expensive one thats just covered up.

trd315

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site. I have a 2005 Tacoma Pre-Runner with a 6 speed R-A60 transmission. I'm in the process of installing a TRD SS. When I took out the old shifter there is only a thin black gasket for the shifter seat. Is this normal? My shifter is able to swing to the left and become loose, I don't think that is normal. HiTek I see that you have a blue shifter seat. Was that factory or an aftermarket part? Is it possible that my top seat completely disintegrated? Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Coupe

Reaction score
From what I have seen, there will be a thin black washer type gasket with a second blue semi-spherical gasket on top of the black washer gasket.

Coupe

Reaction score
This is not a great pic, but this is what I had handy.

trd315

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and picture. When I first pulled out the stock shifter all I saw was the thin black gasket. Maybe the blue seat was never installed on mine. Or it could have possibly disintegrated (I did clean out particles from the compartment space). I ordered a heavy duty seat from www.marlincrawler.com. Do you think this aftermarket seat will replace both blue and black gaskets? I tried to run the shifter with just the black gasket...bad idea....half way home shifter started getting loose and I couldn't find the right gears....When I did get home and removed the shifter, the gasket was gone. I preceded to disassemble the housing and new SS spacer to find bits and pieces of the gasket in the lower compartment. Sorry if there is any confusion in how I'm labeling and describing the parts of the system. Thanks.

Coupe

Reaction score
I have heard of the blue ones coming apart over time, but have not witnessed it myself.

What part of the world are you located?

trd315

Reaction score
The truck has about 115k. I got her with 80k living on the West Cost of Florida near Tampa. From the CArfax she was first bought in New Jersey. From the service records I gathered she was up there in the summer and down in Florida for the winters most of the time. I'm assuming it was owned by a snow bird. I've moved here back to the North about 15k, 1.5 years ago haha. Upstate New York, please don't confuse us with the armpit of the country lol...plenty of fresh air up here!! But a ton of salt in the winter. Pretty clean truck though.

Coupe

Reaction score
I may have a blue gasket. If I mailed it it would be a couple of days. You might be able to get it quicker at a dealer.

Top Bottom