Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Xrunner Traded!!

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
OMG! Why do you need a Jake brake on a small truck like that! Definitely overkill, but that is awesome nonetheless that he has one.:laugh: My dad has a 3500 with a flatbed on it, and he has a 35-foot goose neck flatbed that he does hotshot driving with. Out of all the Dodge vehicles, their diesels are just effing awesome.

BTW: An exhaust brake IS a Jake Brake. Jake Brake is just a trademark manufacturer who came out with them. The technical term is "compression release engine brake." Lol, I grew up around semi's my whole life.

frechem

Reaction score
BTW: An exhaust brake IS a Jake Brake. Jake Brake is just a trademark manufacturer who came out with them. The technical term is "compression release engine brake." Lol, I grew up around semi's my whole life.

Exactly! Also, it doesn't run off of GAS! It runs off of diesel which is a fuel, not a gas.

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Exactly! Also, it doesn't run off of GAS! It runs off of diesel which is a fuel, not a gas.

They release the compressed air that builds up i n the cylinders. To put into perspective, if you don't have a Jake brake, the built up air keeps pushing the pistons back into the cylinder, turning the crankshaft. Without a Jake brake, the truck's brakes fight against the engine, until it has expelled all the compressed air on its own. The Jake brake opens an extra valve that manually releases all of the compressed air, hence the machine gun sound. This way, the brakes don't have to fight the engine to slow down.

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
i kinda figured that the exhaust brake was also named a jake brake...named after the manufactuer jacobs vehicle systems...didnt feel like getting into an argument though LOL...also i think on the 2500 only the big horn edition came with that feature...i could be wrong though

Last edited:

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
i kinda figured that the exhaust brake was also named a jake brake...named after the manufactuer jacobs vehicle systems...didnt feel like getting into an argument though LOL...also i think on the 2500 only the big horn edition came with that feature...i could be wrong though

I doubt they come from the factory, even as a option. They are illegal in about 80% of the U.S. areas. Interstates and stuff you can have them, but most cities don't allow them.

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
im not too sure then...when we bought this bad boy it had 7 miles on it and it already had it on...there is a button right below the deck that looks like a stock button that engages/disengages the jake brake...

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
im not too sure then...when we bought this bad boy it had 7 miles on it and it already had it on...there is a button right below the deck that looks like a stock button that engages/disengages the jake brake...

I looked it up, and you are right, it can have one from the factory. I guess since you are able to engage and disengage makes it okay. Although, it isn't illegal to have them, you can have them no matter what. You just can't use them in certain areas.

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
I doubt they come from the factory, even as a option. They are illegal in about 80% of the U.S. areas. Interstates and stuff you can have them, but most cities don't allow them.

I looked it up, and you are right, it can have one from the factory. I guess since you are able to engage and disengage makes it okay. Although, it isn't illegal to have them, you can have them no matter what. You just can't use them in certain areas.

Yup, the exhaust brakes are available as a factory option.

My friends had it and it was fun with the new exhaust he had on it.

Top Bottom