Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Yet another headlight fogging thread

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
ok so i did the projector retro and no matter what i do i cant seem to keep them from fogging up. the inside is sealed well and there is silicon around the outside edges. to be honest i cant see how its getting in. i have been reading through some threads and i have found a few ideas but they vary so much im not sure which to try.

- more silicon?
- drill hole in bottom of housing for a drain?
- add moisture packet to absorb?
- bash them with a hammer?
- leave caps off the back?

im not usually a car wash guy but i did run it through the wash today becuase i was tired of the truck looking so dirty. it has been super cold lately or i wouldve hand washed it. so i know thats why they fogged tonight but it seems they do the same in a heavy rain as well.

any ideas and thoughts welcome im really getting tired of taking them out. :thumbdown:

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Send em to me and I'll fix them for ya. Don't leave the caps off. The rubber boot and the vent caps need to be on. Don't drill into your headlights. Once they are properly sealed you will be set. Are the lights oem or aftermarket (tyc, depo or eBay). I've done alot of retrofits and reseals lately with no negative feedback.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
well ill put the caps back on after they air back out and i do have the rubber boots on the back.

they are aftermarket ebays.. the JDM ones(yes i know they arent actually jdm)

if i could figure out where its getting in it would probably help. after the car wash the passenger side started fogging from the grill side and the drivers side started fogging from the fender side.

if i cant get them to stop i may consider sending them to you.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
You can always add more silicone and see if it helps. If it were me I would take them apart again, take off all the silicone that you added and leave the adhesive that came on them, add new silicone in the lens channel and re bake them back together then add a bead around the outside. When you put them back together did you add silicone around the turn signal bulb socket (towards the grill) on the inside of the lights?

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
i have not put any around the turn signal bulbs.

i put the glue stuff in the channels that trs offers then silicon around the outside both times ive put them back together.

to be honest..... i really dont want to take them back apart, at this point there is so much silicon and glue on them from both times it would take FOREVER for me to get it all off and start over.

justin13703

Reaction score
You can always add more silicone and see if it helps. If it were me I would take them apart again, take off all the silicone that you added and leave the adhesive that came on them, add new silicone in the lens channel and re bake them back together then add a bead around the outside. When you put them back together did you add silicone around the turn signal bulb socket (towards the grill) on the inside of the lights?
^ Mine leaked and that is exactly what I did and they havent fogged up a bit in almost a year. Make sure they are COMPLETELY dry before you try to re seal them, or they will just fog right back up.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I hear ya and don't blame you lol. If you are still having trouble with it after adding more silicone then send me a PM and we'll talk.

I've done three sets of oem headlight BHLM retrofits and four aftermarket headlight BHLM retrofits and all came out great.

Last edited:

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
i wonder if the car wash was just to much for them it couldve gotten in all over the place with the amount of water flying around in there.

the passenger side dried right back out in about 10 mins but the drivers side is sill foggy, it should dry out tomorrow. i just wonder if the rain will do the same thing... i can stay out of car washes lol

Toon714

Reaction score
U.can try using the lil packets thats inside beef jerky. ( I forgot wats that packets called)
I put them.in .my headlight over.night.and.it sucked the moisture out.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
yeah...but keeping it out is the problem lol

wonder how much mositure those things can swallow up....just leave them in there lol

Toon714

Reaction score
Those lil packets does wonder. I had my retro filled with water. I had to use these everytime. Till I resealed my headlight. time to reopen these suckas!
Gonna finally start my lexus ls 460 retro this weekend! My friend coming from louisana with a set for me. :)

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Toon714 said:
Those lil packets does wonder. I had my retro filled with water. I had to use these everytime. Till I resealed my headlight. time to reopen these suckas!
Gonna finally start my lexus ls 460 retro this weekend! My friend coming from louisana with a set for me. :)

Where did you get em from?

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
you can get them from shoe boxes actually....or pill bottles

i had two in some pain pill bottles so i took a shot and put them inside the rubber grommet on the back of the headlight. maybe it will dry it out that way. they were the hard plastic ones though.

i need to go to a shoe store and get some of the bag style ones that might work better and i can put those in more places.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
Silica gel packets

Attachments

• silica gel packets.jpeg
    silica gel packets.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 101

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I meant where did toon get his ls460 retrofit kit from lol

Toon714

Reaction score
Where did you get em from?

I got the lexus ls 460 projectors off my friends wrecked 2009 lexus ls 460.
He got a new front end so hes saleing me his projectors so I can have the 2nd lexus ls 460 projectors done for our truck.
Only person I know that has them is asianant on tw. And I heard he paid a grip to have them professionally retro fitted.
I hope there not that hard to do. Pretty big ass projectors. Im planning to make a support bracket for the back of the projector. So they dont move at all.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Toon714 said:
He got a new front end so hes saleing me his projectors so I can have the 2nd lexus ls 460 projectors done for our truck.
Only person I know that has them is asianant on tw. And I heard he paid a grip to have them professionally retro fitted.
I hope there not that hard to do. Pretty big ass projectors. Im planning to make a support bracket for the back of the projector. So they dont move at all.

Oh ok cool. I still have that extra set of reflector bowls if your interested...or even need them.

End thread jack lol

Toon714

Reaction score
ya i think ima need extra reflector just incase in i mess up. :laugh:
will pm u.

sorry pillsbry. end thread jack. :top:

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
Lol yea posted that info more for other people ;)

I don't mind the thread jack, If putting those in there works I might leave some packets in there all the time. Easy to take out and change

*IrunnIt*

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure that Tuned X has or had those also, hit him up mike is a cool dude he'll help you out

Top Bottom