Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2007 stock unit, want to upgrade to new head unit..

svoman8284

Reaction score
Hey Guys, i am new here and finally glad to be a part of this site.. i bought about 8 months ago a 2007 X-runner that i absolutely love. its all i could ever want in a truck, power, great handling, doesn't drink too much gas..
But i was wondering what would it take to install a new stock Toyota head unit with auxiliary input capability into my truck. I figured i would need the head unit, the new din cover, and some other miscellanous odds and ends.
Or would it be better to get a aftermarket head unit.. i don't want nothing more than the ability to use my mp3 player in my truck and still be able to use the steering wheel controls...
If thats the case does anybody here know of a good din cover and place where i can get the right parts to make it all work properly ???
I am a reformed mustang guy ( built a big boosted 2005 cobra with arounf 560 h.p ) so the engine side of things is my strong area, and since i dont build cars anymore i need to learn how to pimp my ride..lol
Anyhow thanks for anyone that may have any input.... Anyone here in New Orleans local ?
Thanks, and take care guys - J :blurock:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new ride.
I don't know if anybody has tried just swapping head units to the newer version. Most guys just go with an aftermarket head unit when they do an upgrade. They do make modules that allow you to keep steering wheel controls with the after market units. If you think you might do more work to the sound system I would just go ahead and look at a better head unit now. Something with preouts so you can add an amp or two down the road if you wish.

mixplate_xr

Reaction score
I'd say for an aftermarket deck, you'll get more bang for your buck with it. Plus you can buy the harness so you can still use the steering controls.

Workman3886

Reaction score
Welcome to the underground, glad to see another member from the south! Do you actually live in New Orleans?

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Bout time we get another Louisiana guy on here.

In my opinion I'd go with an aftermarket radio.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
There are two guys that live close to you...Donny (VenomousX) and mike (X20Runner05) and I live about 40 minutes away but go to the westbank all the time. If you need any help doing anything let one of us know. I have the iPod adaptor that was connected to my stock radio but I dunno if it will work on the older models though.

svoman8284

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i appreciate it. I actually live in slidell, and work in nola, like the area alot except the roads aren't too friendly on my truck, so i really have to keep up on washing it and tackling problems before they really get out of hand. Is there a particular site anyone of you guys may reccomend for purchasing a install kit, and steeringwheel interface ?
Thanks again guys !!

Top Bottom