Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

All Things AVIC Realted Thread

roy365

Reaction score
Since the Pioneer AVIC units are popular I thought we might could use a discussion thread for anything related to them.

X940BT & Z140BH pdf online manual.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/AVIC-Z140BH_OperationManual030212.pdf

AVIC forum link
http://avic411.com/

So I will start off by asking if anyone has utilized the AppRadio application yet. I want to use the Dash Command application to see diagnostics instead of my Scanguage II, and later on be able to tune/diagnose CEL codes, etc. I can't get my AppRadio to connect or open on the headunit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmerperformance.DashCommand

justin13703

Reaction score
I don't think the appradio app will work with any of the radios other than the appradio. I've tried it on mine and couldn't get it to work. I don't really like the app anyway, just was curious if it would work.

I had the dash command app for a while but deleted it cause I couldn't justify spending all that money on one of those obd2 plugs for that thing. It does look pretty cool though.

The best way to view your photos and stuff from an iPhone/iPod on your radio, is to just jailbreak the iPhone/iPod.

roy365

Reaction score
From everything I am reading on Pioneer's site the unit "should" be able to run my Android phone on some of the Appradio apps. Dashcommand being one of them. The bluetooth OBD transmitter is only $20.00 at the most. Iphone's work by plugging them into the additional Ipod cord. I'm new to all this cloud based stuff. It kinda confuses the heck out of me.

I am going to call Pioneer today I guess and talk to a tech. My Sirius Lynx sees the Pioneer.(bluetooth).....but the Pioneer doesn't see the Lynx unit. Not sure what's up there.

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah, honestly I don't have a clue how the android stuff works with the pioneers lol. Ive never had an android. But I thought the obd2 plugs were more than that, guess I was wrong. Also make sure that when you try to see the lynx on the radio, that the lynx is set as visible. If not it will act like its not there.

Limitless

Reaction score
Dont have and havnt used the appradio yet, but in regards to the OP...Got an AVIC D3 from a couple years ago and like it. Probably one of the easier AVIC's to use but has a few flaws as well. Had to buy the pioneer XM box for $100 extra to use XM but works pretty good afterwords, just wish i could scroll through stations faster, but at least it can store 6 favorites. Plays DVD's great and same with the GPS cd but the problem is you need the GPS cd in everytime you want to use it. They should have come up with a combined antenna for XM and GPS so you dont have to have two of the exact same antennas on your roof. And not sure if it is just mine or not but the motor to spin the CD/DVD's isnt quite as powerful as i would like and is starting to fail on mine causing the DVD's to skip or even come to a stop at times. Has a good iPod hookup witch is only good for music and will not play videos from the iPod. Bluetooth is also an extra $100 gadget that i didnt feel like i needed to spend. Mounting wise it is a little deeper then the stock radio in our trucks so it sticks out of the dash kit slightly but not much.

Overall i like the AVIC series and will probably get another since i already invested in some of the extra gadgets that are pioneer only like the XM box and the 6-disk changer i have.

zr2ee

Reaction score
as i understand it the appradio 2 is the only pioneer device currently able to interface with android devices, all other headunits with advanced app mode are limited to Iphone. however you can use pandora and aha radio with android devices still

The appradio 2 interfaces with android devices using HDMI to the headunit from the phone and uses bluetooth to replicate the touch inputs. i don't believe either of those decks support HDMI that i'm aware of, not sure what method they use to interface touch with apple devices.

you can see specifications for the X940BT here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X940BT
they should be the same as the Z140BH

lovemym

Reaction score
I have an older AVIC P3300BT from a few years ago. I use it with my I Phone. With mine I can stream NETFLIX youtube, pandora, and I use MOTION X GPS for Naviagation and traffic and it always has worked flawlessly. Now of course you have to get a or make a relay to make it think that the emergency brake is on, and have the AVIC feeds app, after that it works just fine.

roy365

Reaction score
as i understand it the appradio 2 is the only pioneer device currently able to interface with android devices, all other headunits with advanced app mode are limited to Iphone. however you can use pandora and aha radio with android devices still

The appradio 2 interfaces with android devices using HDMI to the headunit from the phone and uses bluetooth to replicate the touch inputs. i don't believe either of those decks support HDMI that i'm aware of, not sure what method they use to interface touch with apple devices.

you can see specifications for the X940BT here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X940BT
they should be the same as the Z140BH

So I need to use a wired connection mini-USB to USB plug on the AVIC??? I had to download a separate keyboard application that is supposed to show up on my touch screen once it's active.

I have pandora, i heart, and aha all working. Well, actually my list of stationsin aha isnt showing up on my Pioneer to select from. It's like I have to open Aha on my phone, select the station then connect blue tooth. There is limited control from the head unit itself.

Sometimes I really wish I had an Iphone for these reasons, then other times I am glad I use Android. :stupid:

Yeah, honestly I don't have a clue how the android stuff works with the pioneers lol. Ive never had an android. But I thought the obd2 plugs were more than that, guess I was wrong. Also make sure that when you try to see the lynx on the radio, that the lynx is set as visible. If not it will act like its not there.

Man I have read both manuals to each piece of equipment and I still can't figure it out. Calls to both Sirius and Pioneer didnt help either.:thumbdown: I will end up just pulling the deck and hooking the Sirius Lynx up by the RCA mini jack, or use the RCA harness inputs on the AVIC and say to heck with the bluetooth.:eviltongue: A wired source is much better than a blue tooth source anyway.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah the appradio with the android connection kit is about the only thing that gives full control from the radio. I'm not an apple fan, but this is why I've always had an iPhone. Everything is made to work with them and it's just easier.

For the lynx, there must be a Bluetooth settings menu that you can go into to set it to visible. Sometimes you have to have devices searching before they are actually visible. It's kind of one of those things you'll probably have to figure out yourself, because the companies tech support usually doesn't know jack about their own products.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
FYI...if you're planning to use your App Radio, Advanced App Mode, Etc., the long haul, DON'T buy the iPhone 5. It is NOT compatible. There's no video out from the Lightning connector to the deck, so it comes up as blank or error.

zr2ee

Reaction score
So I need to use a wired connection mini-USB to USB plug on the AVIC??? I had to download a separate keyboard application that is supposed to show up on my touch screen once it's active.

the usb won't do anything but charge your phone, at least that's the way it is with the appradio units. and even then it will only charge at half the power it normally would if it was connected to the wall.

the 3rd party keyboard application is supposed to be for safety so you can only use the keyboard when the vehicle is in park....i find it more or less annoying as hell

roy365

Reaction score
FYI...if you're planning to use your App Radio, Advanced App Mode, Etc., the long haul, DON'T buy the iPhone 5. It is NOT compatible. There's no video out from the Lightning connector to the deck, so it comes up as blank or error.

I've been asking a guy I work with to sell me his 4S cause he has a 5.

I dislike Apple for this kind of reason. That new connector isn't something we couldn't live without for sure.

the usb won't do anything but charge your phone, at least that's the way it is with the appradio units. and even then it will only charge at half the power it normally would if it was connected to the wall.

the 3rd party keyboard application is supposed to be for safety so you can only use the keyboard when the vehicle is in park....i find it more or less annoying as hell

Gotcha. Makes sense, but I had to ask.

Last edited:

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
download ARLiberator and it makes the unit your phone, it's the best thing you can do with teh radio because the "appradio" app sucks.

zr2ee

Reaction score
download ARLiberator and it makes the unit your phone, it's the best thing you can do with teh radio because the "appradio" app sucks.

that app is only available for Android devices and only works for the AppRadio 2 as far as i know. be sure and check with the forums here before making a $30 commitment

NUPEPRIME

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get tha updated NAVI CDs for Pioneer AVIC-D3 unit?

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
FYI, there's a new chord out now that will allow the iPhone 5 to be fully functional. It will cost you about $200 bucks tho. You need to buy their chord, the Apple Lightning to USB cable, and the VGA to Lightning adapter.

In my opinion, not worth it. I took my Pioneer DD out, and replaced it with a Sony GEX-MS600bt. Now I used my iPad Mini instead as my music source.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a DD (AVH-P8400bh) , I'm selling mine. I'll post it on the For Sale soon.

justin13703

Reaction score
Any info on updated Navi Cd's, anyone?

I thought you had to get them directly from pioneer. If they even make them anymore, all their new units have the maps stored on the unit. Pioneer radios are great but they have a tendency to stop supporting their products as soon as they release a new one.

Top Bottom