Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Audio for Noobs. (my 09)

akxr79

Reaction score
Well the time has come when I'd like to upgrade a bit. I have a 09 X, and would like to swap the little baby sub in the back for maybe a 10 in the back or something, an amp, and maybe some speakers.

I have no idea about audio in cars so any help would be appreciated alot, I dont even know where to start, only that Id like to keep the price down as much as possible.

lance426

Reaction score
Money

Money is typically always an issue but it's hard to beat the bass response you get from a good 12" sub. Price isn't really a huge difference. My only issue is maintaining the back seat area and running all this equipment too. Here is a price range for the whole deal.
10" Sub = 60-150 depending on quality
Amp= 100 - 300 mono channel prolly want at least a 300 watt depending on how good of a sub you purchase
An 8 gauge wiring kit should be sufficient for the amp = 30-80 depending on quality
And the big concern is the box custom box = 80-250
Any box you buy from a store should be cheaper
I recommend looking up the SubX enclosure and doing something similar to that. I don't think the builder is taking anymore orders but you could always do it yourself.

Armenian

Reaction score
Start with a quality Head Unit with High Voltage Pre-Outs like a Pioneer, then wire in a decent amp and finally a 10" sub in that order.

rich017

Reaction score
Start with a quality Head Unit with High Voltage Pre-Outs like a Pioneer, then wire in a decent amp and finally a 10" sub in that order.

Exactly. Start out with a good head unit. Eclipse is the absolute best and my next pick would be Alpine, then Kenwood, Clarion and Pioneer last

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
What they said^

With the holidays coming up maybe you could get some stuff as "presents" ?

Audio is a subject where opinions vary greatly but my suggestion for a cheap sub setup is an alpine 12" typeR sub and the MRP500 amp. I added this to my gf car and is great, and the hardware was about $300+ an amp install kit.

But you should also get a decent HU first.

8ga would probably work fine, but 4ga is better. The bigger wire you can afford the better. It leaves room for upgrading later, without rewiring everything, especially if you decide to add another amp for component speakers later or something.

I think the biggest problem you will have is finding the right box. You have to decide what you are looking for , I might even be able to help build you one.

Maybe give a rough estimate of your budget.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
Before this thread even goes there, don't get caught up in the "best, better, worse, worst" nonsense. Determine a budget and a set of goals and you'll get some guidance towards a set of options. Unless you're in competition, there's isn't that broad of a difference among brands for your average listener. Filter through the opinions to get the facts to help achieve your goal for the least amount of money.

Armenian

Reaction score
One of the most important things in a head unit, besides good high voltage pre-outs, is compatability with your mobile device/ipod/etc...

I love my Pioneer Deh P-710BT because it works perfect with my Iphone...picks up bluetooth wireless stereo seamlessly and has options for 2 more usb inputs. As far as Iphone is concerned, it also picks up music from the Pandora App, which was something I was unsure of when I was shopping for a head unit.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Spend money on a good head unit.

A good head unit with a good EQ and audio enhancement will make or break a system primarily playing mp3 files.

mp3s lose so much depth, a good receiver with good enhancements will bring them back to life quite well.

The best HU out right now IMO is the Pioneer DEH-P800PRS it has Burr-Brown dacs and really good EQ options / enhancements.

DVD decks (double DINs) right now do not posses good audio editing/enhancing capabilities.

You need to get out and listen to all the audio components within your budget. As you get higher up in the price tag of audio equipment it becomes harder to do so. Search for people that have this equipment locally so you can demo it in person.

There is a huge differences between brands in high end speakers from the direction they appear to project to the sound & warmth / brightness between them.

Typically the more money you spend the more clarity at high volume you get (and more volume in general). A well set up pair of expensive speakers will make your ears bleed before they sound distorted.

Decide on your budget, and demo equipment within your budget from there.

Everyone has a different ear.

Last edited:

akxr79

Reaction score
What they said^

With the holidays coming up maybe you could get some stuff as "presents" ?

Audio is a subject where opinions vary greatly but my suggestion for a cheap sub setup is an alpine 12" typeR sub and the MRP500 amp. I added this to my gf car and is great, and the hardware was about $300+ an amp install kit.

But you should also get a decent HU first.

8ga would probably work fine, but 4ga is better. The bigger wire you can afford the better. It leaves room for upgrading later, without rewiring everything, especially if you decide to add another amp for component speakers later or something.

I think the biggest problem you will have is finding the right box. You have to decide what you are looking for , I might even be able to help build you one.

Maybe give a rough estimate of your budget.

Yea, well, can you post a picture of how your current set up looks now?

Actaully after hearing what you guys said I'd definitely like to get a good head unit thatll probably be my bday present and Ill get an amp and wiring and sub myself. My buddy actually does sound systems so he could set it all up for me.

The only thing, for the 09s when you take out that mini sub, theres pretty much a hole in the wall isn't there? I'd like to cover that up, but, would just a normal sub box fit on the floor behind me? or maybe a 10 behind each seat, so two tens. I dont want to dish out to much for a custom box, my dad remodels and he could always help me "create" a sub box to fit in the spot where the baby sub used to be....I know it's harder than it sounds though

rich017

Reaction score
head unit's and subs I am very picky about.

As far as components go, anything Alpine, Eclipse, Diamond audio, Memphis, and other well know stuff is going to sound amazing.

Just pick your budget and then find stuff that you like within that price range. Every company makes their best product. For example one might have better subs, but not so much with speakers.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
If your dad has carpentry skills and tools it should be pie for him to make a decent box.

Pay attention to sub specs and ask questions itll be easy
This helps me when I have made boxes before
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/box_wizard.asp

My system
Kenwood dnx8120 HU
Polk mono amp for sub PA1200.1
Polk 4 ch for speakers PA500.4
6.5 component MM6501
6.5 coaxial MM651
JL 10W6 in ported box
0ga to dist block, 4ga to amps

yes I went all polk i dono why, just tryin sometihng different
If were to start again I would get kicker amps (I had a kicker amp before and I just liked its design better)
two sets of components (one for front door, and one for rear, make new holes near the rear windows for the tweets back there like nhxrunner did)

back w/o sub
0920080839.jpg

w/o rear console
1247534898.jpg

DNX 8120
P1010105.jpg

speaker added to rear door
1244761135.jpg

custom oneoff subx from my68ur8trd
P8120158.jpg

Anything else?

oh and I don't wanna hear anything about the wire to the sub, that was the night I installed it, I was in a hurry and it has since been changed:smile:

Last edited:

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Well the time has come when I'd like to upgrade a bit. I have a 09 X, and would like to swap the little baby sub in the back for maybe a 10 in the back or something, an amp, and maybe some speakers.

I have no idea about audio in cars so any help would be appreciated alot, I dont even know where to start, only that Id like to keep the price down as much as possible.

10" Alpine type R
Alpine MRP500

downfire it in the back ( if you want box help you can always come back up to Williamsburg and we can work something out :top:)

That box I built for Revo is ported, but I have heard the Alpine in a gen 1 subx on that amp and it hits really nice for the price

I can turn that same outline into a sealed configuration pretty easily

Justin

akxr79

Reaction score
ahh thanks for the pics nad all the help eveyrone. I think im gonna go with the Alpine 10 inch in the back and alpine mrp500....but its all gotta be pushed back a bit....i messed up my X its in the shop right now....

3rd gear on a wet exit...back came out unintentionally...course i was pushin a bit too hard....stuipd.

I hit a guard rail and had to pay the deductible so this has gotta hold off a bit.

nick_gz1

Reaction score
like everyone said if your wanna start off and not spend a lot the first thing is to get a nice head unit. it makes your stock system sound wayyy better and can hold you up until you save up more for speakers,subs,amp whatever. But just the head unit swap alone you will be amazed how better the quality is

III

Reaction score
whats the plus of having a downfiring sub? (im assuming these are the boxes that look like just an armrest, sub not even exposed)...

justin13703

Reaction score
whats the plus of having a downfiring sub? (im assuming these are the boxes that look like just an armrest, sub not even exposed)...

You will feel it more. It fires into the floor so you will feel it in your seat which will make it seem even louder than it is. Bass is something that you actually feel more than hear.

III

Reaction score
You will feel it more. It fires into the floor so you will feel it in your seat which will make it seem even louder than it is. Bass is something that you actually feel more than hear.

makes sense. but then how is it mounted inside the box (or is it even?) i mean i understand the concept of how this happens, but im curious to see how it looks underneath that box (since from the outside, it just looks like a carpeted curved armrest, which im definitely cool with haha)

Top Bottom