Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blue Ribbon Metallic Paint Flaking Off

Superloki24

Reaction score
I've just recently noticed on my truck that the BRM paint is flaking off. There are a number of spots that it is happening: on the inside of the access passenger door, along the fender edge that's under the hood, and along the inside of the hood.

Have any other BRM owners experienced this? Is this something that I should bring up to Toyota? Keeping in mind that my truck is five years old and has 145,000kms on it.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
You're the first that I've heard of.....

autobodyX

Reaction score
I've just recently noticed on my truck that the BRM paint is flaking off. There are a number of spots that it is happening: on the inside of the access passenger door, along the fender edge that's under the hood, and along the inside of the hood.

Have any other BRM owners experienced this? Is this something that I should bring up to Toyota? Keeping in mind that my truck is five years old and has 145,000kms on it.
Since I work in the auto body repair industry, I can say in general it is a common problem for the darker colors to peel or delaminate. It starts where the clear coat is the thinnest and it where the sun and ultraviolet rays get to it.
I would recommend you go to Toyota and log a complaint. You are well out of warranty but if they have a history of other owners with similar issues they may offer to help with the cost of repainting. Maybe 50%

AkiBOi

Reaction score
i have a 2015 BRM too. bought it new at servco waipahu an i have the same problem. one in the door jam on the access door, on one side fender and the back sid of the hood

Superloki24

Reaction score
I saw on tacomaworld that there are few more BRM with the same issue. Maybe if Toyota sees that the BRM tacoma's are flaking off, like you said @autobodyX they may help me out.

I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw on tacomaworld that there are few more BRM with the same issue. Maybe if Toyota sees that the BRM tacoma's are flaking off, like you said @autobodyX they may help me out.

You mean like how they helped us all out with the throw out bearing......? Good luck my friend

Edgeman

Reaction score
What year Tacomas had Blue Ribbon Metallic?

My 08 had Speedway Blue Metallic. Was BRM the later, darker shade of blue Toyota shifted to in later Tacomas?

Superloki24

Reaction score
You mean like how they helped us all out with the throw out bearing......? Good luck my friend

Yeah I will at least try, but I'm not too optimistic....more of a realist...lol.

The BRM was a new colour in 2014 for the Tacoma. The other dark shade of blue was called Nautical Blue I think. For the X-Runner, only 2014 and 2015 trucks could come with that colour option.

Here are a few pictures of the paint coming off.

Thoughts by anybody with some body work experience would be appreciated. Would it be best to re-paint the whole truck (keeping in mind that there are a number of dings and dents all over the truck that could be fixed as well)?

Attachments

• Driver Fender #1 (Close Up) (800x600).jpg
    Driver Fender #1 (Close Up) (800x600).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 399
  • Passenger Access Door #1 (600x800).jpg
    Passenger Access Door #1 (600x800).jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 365
  • Passenger Fender #1 (800x600).jpg
    Passenger Fender #1 (800x600).jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 448
  • Passenger Fender #1 (Close Up) (800x600).jpg
    Passenger Fender #1 (Close Up) (800x600).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 412
  • Passenger Fender #2 (800x600).jpg
    Passenger Fender #2 (800x600).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 507
  • Passenger Fender #2 (Close Up) (800x600).jpg
    Passenger Fender #2 (Close Up) (800x600).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 505

Wayside

Reaction score
I haven't noticed anything on mine yet but keep in mind its a weekender and parked in the garage when not in use. I have no idea how cars are painted on an assembly line but what it looks like to me is that the paint didn't stick to the primer, so if they did wet on wet, those spots could have dried and the paint didn't have anything to stick to ( high doubt that they wait for the primer to dry and then sand every car before paint) also i wonder if the lack of clear coat or thin clear coat has something to do with it as well. Mine appears to have no clear coat on the engine bay edges like yours as well.

I don't have any body work experience how ever i did work in a collision shop for 5 years and worked close with a few good body men so i will pass what i know along.
Metallic is a pain to spray to get it to match with that being said it can be done. Lots of things effect that, temp, gun pressure, distance, how fast, proper mix etc. Also it depends on where you are spraying, under hood you should get away with hard lining to the edge of the fender where it meets the hood and just doing a blow in and no one should notice too much. The door area might be a different story can be seen a little more so it harder to blend.

However it is possible to get a very good match, I had all my body kit pieces painted, tunnel cover and a bed side done as well, I'm not to good with colour but i cant tell the difference on what is factory and what was painted and i'm happy with the way it turned out. The fellow who did the painting actually said it was an almost perfect match. He also knew I wanted the colour perfect and took the time to get it that way. I also weighed and mix the paint my self to make sure of no short cuts.

Up to you really if you want to do a blow in or paint the whole thing, if there is a bunch of marks and dings everywhere why not give her a freshen up to have her looking like new again and that way the paint and clear would be seamless! I do have the paint mix sheet for mine and if you want shoot me a text or a pm and i will send it to you as we share the same paint code.

o0opackersfano0o

Reaction score
Call toyota. My toyota rep came out and looked at paint on a 2010 corolla. Crap box. But atleast he was looking at it. Paint was flaking right off.

Top Bottom